Two pants all seasons

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I have an array of clothing: military goretex and liners, Columbia woolies, military parka pants, cheap Chinese soft shell pants, jeans galore.

If I bought 2 pants to cover archery and elk in MT what would be a good set? Do I have more than I need already?

I was thinking timberlines for rifle. Tired of my wollies getting wet from snow. Butt wet from sitting/squatting, knees wet from kneeling, legs wet from walking, etc.

I dont really have "hiking" pants. Jeans normally fill this role.

For archery I was thinking Kuiu Attack pants

Would the timberline and attack pants cover my hiking/hunting needs, or am I just looking to spend?

IMO, a pair of each, plus long johns, should have you covered for a wide range of temperatures, IMO.

I will throw two other pants into the ring though. I just sold my timberlines for the SG De Havilland pants for the side zips. Additionally, I do not care for the Attack pants - I find them hot. I've been really impressed with Kuiu's Kutana pants, however.

gelton

WKR
I am a big fan of prana zions...get a regular pair and a winter version that are fleece-lined...they are the most comfortable pants I own and because they are solid colors you can wear them around town too.

I have about 6 pairs and wear a pair nearly every day.

Kostrize

WKR
Kutana or SG De Havilland Lite for early to mid season. Attack is way too warm IMO. They feel like sweatpants with the brushed backing

Idk
So I haven't done this yet but am considering some reconfiguration of my setup.

Steven Drake recommends just using something like a heavy duty rain pants in the snow.

So a set of merino base layer, de Haviland lites then a storm shell.
Seems simple and those pieces would get you multiple configurations and be simple.

I do like soft shell though. But timberline s can get wet. And no hip vents.

Lowg08

WKR
I like my corrugate foundry pants. I’m thinking if I could only have two I’d go with the corrugate foundry and stone glacier M7. M7 is fleece lined hip vents and waterproof and windproof

Personally I think you are better avoiding timberlines.
I would go with KUIU Kutana or SG DeHavilland lite for early. I’m getting one of those this year and always used attacks in the past but they do get awful hot if we have unseasonably warm temps the first few weeks of archery in Montana.
for late look at either SG DeHavilland (no waterproof butt and knees but they repel water well), KUIU Guide but same story as DeHavilland or kuiu axis which have waterproof butt and knee down but slightly thinner than guides. I have all 3 and it’s about a toss up each day, certain conditions each will do slightly better but they all 3 perform really really well.

WMag338

WKR
I am a big fan of prana zions...get a regular pair and a winter version that are fleece-lined...they are the most comfortable pants I own and because they are solid colors you can wear them around town too.

I have about 6 pairs and wear a pair nearly every day.
I was skeptical about the zions at first. Bought a pair and darned if I don't love those things. About 1/2 price of a "typical" name brand hunting pant, come in drab colors, factory DWR finish, and super quiet & stretchy. Not sure what more you could ask out of a pair of pants. I wore them on a spring bear hunt in 20 degree weather with snow then wore then hiking in 90 degree weather. Very pleased with them.

gelton

WKR
I was skeptical about the zions at first. Bought a pair and darned if I don't love those things. About 1/2 price of a "typical" name brand hunting pant, come in drab colors, factory DWR finish, and super quiet & stretchy. Not sure what more you could ask out of a pair of pants. I wore them on a spring bear hunt in 20 degree weather with snow then wore then hiking in 90 degree weather. Very pleased with them.
Check out their winter version...different outer material that has even better DWR , more abrasion resistance not quite as stretchy but still noticeable and the fleeced backing is the cats meow.

miggy

FNG
Mid to late season I rock the Timberlines, absolutely love em!
Early season depending on temps I like the Apex pants or the Ascents, being able to roll them up into shorts is huge.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also can't speak to any of the other manufacturers, but one of the things I really want in a hunting pant are two roomy cargo pockets (stuffing beanies, gloves, cell phone, etc in)- both the Ascents and Timberlines have excellent cargo pockets- pockets with a s :D

Also can't speak to any of the other manufacturers, but one of the things I really want in a hunting pant are two roomy cargo pockets (stuffing beanies, gloves, cell phone, etc in)- both the Ascents and Timberlines have excellent cargo pockets- pockets with a s :D
Yep,
I worn the infamous Prana zions 1 or 2 days and re sold them, I couldn't do the single pockets.

If you're gonna screw me with only 1 pocket at least put it on the right leg.😉

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
@Lowg08 did you get time in late '21 to try out the m7 in snow/rain/etc? Strongly considering this as my late season pant that'll handle wind/rain. TIA