Two questions..

1) How "wet" does a down sleeping bag need to be to lose its loft or ability to keep you warm?
Delving into the whole synthetic vs down thing, all anyone says is "down stops working when it gets wet".. rinse, repeat.. Are we talking direct, saturating downpour or simply a humid day or the condensation that builds at night in the tent when it rains?... How wet? And would basic precautions, like sleeping in a tent, help alleviate the problem?
The reason I ask brings me to my next question?
What do companies put on the fabric to make the bags "flame retardant"?
I'm reluctant to call it an allergy so much as a negative respiratory reaction. Basically, every time I've used my Koppen synthetic filled bag I wake up with my throat partially closed up. The first two times I figured we burned some kind of reactive or moldy wood and I sat too long in the smoke but recently i used it in the house and the same thing happened. Variable isolated. Something on or in the bag.
Here's the catch. It was the exact same reaction I got when I was cleaning up some .308 case necks on my drill press without a dust mask. Dumb, i know.... now. So I'm trying to resolve two of the exact same reactions to one cause. Wondering if the flame retardant coating or whatever contains some type of metal compounds or something.
About to find out if washing the hell out of the bag helps, btw.
I know I'm out there but inquiring minds and all that.
Thanks.