Two sights, two arrow sets?

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
I have two back to back hunts (literally back to back) for moose and sheep this year and was planning on using different arrow/BH combos for each before I knew they'd be a day apart...
I have a different sight for both arrow setups and was wondering if I could swap to my slider and light arrows just by changing my sight? (My quiver mounts to the bow, not the sight)

Obviously I would shoot after the swap to confirm zero, but has this been done successfully?

Not sure about your sights but mine have enough play in the mounting holes to be off for elevation. With a little adjustment seems like you could get it on easily. No with two hunts that big you might just consider a second bow for ease of mind.

It may be cheaper depending on your set up to have a different sight to simply bolt on, already sighted for that arrow bhead combo ?
Just bolt on verify and run and gun

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I am a bit of a novice so pardon the uninformed question, but do you think your shot opportunities will be so wildly different to justify the change? I presume you would use a lighter arrow for a sheep and heavier for a moose. Could you not just use the moose setup for both. I doubt the sheep would notice a bit more KE. I guess the change could reduce range and increase drop at a given distance.

I really don't have any experience to say one way or another but it feels like a lot of moving parts to me.

Do you plan on using the same diameter arrow for both setups? I would try to, as it can change the tune of the bow because of any diameter differences.

I don't see why you couldn't just swap sights. If you are using the beveled screws they should align the sight very close to the same every time.

For What it's worth....
In Utah Elk, Deer, I use a NAP Kill Zone Expandable 125 gr on a BE 11 gr per inch arrow 300 spine
In Idaho Elk, these are not legal b/heads so I will use a Montec 125 fixed blade on same arrow.
- will require a simple sight adj
- pain in the butt to have to do this, but Idaho calls the shots not me

Some times you want to go to a different place and the "normal" set up just cant be used. And in my opinion my expandable set up is better than what Idaho is allowing, so what can you do...

I too have a quick turn around from Utah to Idaho this year, but I will already have the sights determined and ready for the change

OP
AKMAN

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
It may be cheaper depending on your set up to have a different sight to simply bolt on, already sighted for that arrow bhead combo? Just bolt on verify and run and gun

This is exactly what I was trying to describe. :)

DeskJockey: My moose arrows are big and quite heavy with a single bevel 2 blade. For these I'll be using a fixed 5 pin for bashing through black spruce and willow surfing with a max range of about 40 yards.
In all the years I have hunted sheep with a rifle, I have never been "archery distance" from a ram. Ewes/lambs yes, rams no. I figure all the accuracy improving tidbits I can get will help. Especially since it's usually pretty windy, I figure a mule deer-esque set up would be best.
Thinking VAP Elites or 4mm carbon injexions with something expandable. I like the NAP Killzones with the COC tip for whitetail and I'm certain they'll do great on sheep.

OP
AKMAN

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
Do you plan on using the same diameter arrow for both setups? I would try to, as it can change the tune of the bow because of any diameter differences.

Good to know. (I wasn't planning on it...)

For what it's worth I shoot 500 grain Arrow which is great for just about any animal I need to shoot albeit I have never hunted a moose so I don't know for sure.

even though my arrows are 500 grains they are the skinny micro ones from Black Eagle which I think is a perfect all-around Arrow for like you described goat hunting moose hunting elk hunting deer hunting turkey hunting whatever it might be

My bow is fast and can still drive the heavier arrows at 290-300 fps
I'm only a 28" draw, but this set up works well for me in all conditions

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

What about just printing two sight tapes? My sure loc slider is set up for two tapes for this purpose, but I would assume you could run two tapes on any sight without much trouble?

WKR
Good to know. (I wasn't planning on it...)

I mean this will the utmost respect, but if you didn't think of arrow diameter changing the tune of the bow, it is a sign that this would be a bad idea. Lots of things change when you change arrows, and only the most experienced archers/bow tuners would be wise to make such a change in such a short time frame and be confident in the result.

I feel like I've got a pretty good handle on bow tuning and I wouldn't try to do what you are doing. I would likely pick a middle ground, likely not text book ideal for either species, and get really good at placing that particular arrow.

Brendan

WKR
If you have a dovetail sight like the spot hogg hogg father (I do) - then it's super easy to switch back and forth and retain zero. I've tested it plenty of times on my bow and retain zero fine, but the sight base always remains attached to the bow, and you're only swapping out the dovetail and sight head. And, they are expensive sights...

Caveats mentioned above - same diameter arrow or you could end up running tail high or low with one of the setups.

OP
AKMAN

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the constructive tips.
Cheers

Beendare

WKR
Op- FWIW, i did that for years with good result.
I shot a couple different compound that way. A 420ish gr arrow for 3d and a heavier 480-500 gr arrow for hunts. I just swapped spot hogg sights.
[Edit; so I have had the 2 SH sights for years first using them on a Mathews LX then a bowtech allegiance. The first combo on the LX was with lighter arrows, appx 370gr/440gr at the time. Both bows tuned with the light and heavier arrows]

Key is to get them both to tune which you might not be able to do if you shoot too much of a variation in spine and weight but i cant say for sure havent tried it. My bow BH tuned with both 1 spine size and 80 gr or so different.

The advantage is you have the exact same draw cycle and feel at anchor- and you can use a very low profile bh for flatter traj long shots- then a bigger badder arrow for large game, not a bad strategy, IMO

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Op- FWIW, i did that for years with good result.
I shot a couple different compound that way. A 420ish gr arrow for 3d and a heavier 480-500 gr arrow for hunts. I just swapped spot hogg sights.

I used to do that for 3D as well. My hunting setup was a 500gr arrow at 285fps with my 7-pin SH Hunter, and my 3D setup was a 380gr arrow going "quite a bit faster" with my 5-pin SH Hunter with all .010" pins.

But for hunting.......I'd still rather be shooting my heavier arrows at longer ranges in the wind.

Beendare

WKR
I used to do that for 3D as well. My hunting setup was a 500gr arrow at 285fps with my 7-pin SH Hunter, and my 3D setup was a 380gr arrow going "quite a bit faster" with my 5-pin SH Hunter with all .010" pins.

But for hunting.......I'd still rather be shooting my heavier arrows at longer ranges in the wind.

Agreed. Now I don't bother....I just shoot my heavier hunting arrow for everything as I don't worry about competitive 3D scores. A little bit better trajectory can be the difference in 3D scoring...but it doesn't help you so much hunting as you end up using a RF for the longer shots anyway.

I think you are over thinking it. Just get a good arrow/broadhead combination that flies well and go hunting. Changing stuff mid-season isn't worth the risk. FWIW I've shot 5 moose (WY, Alaska and BC) and 4 sheep (CO, NV and BC) with a bow, plus a huge bunch of other game and never consider specific arrows for a species......from Coues deer in AZ to moose in Alaska to targets I run the same arrow I've chosen and tuned the bow with. You can get close enough to sheep in the right terrain......don't push it and blow them out in the wrong spot for a stalk or on risky wind. Good luck, sounds like a fun fall!