Two stage trigger for long range hunting?

Looking at upgrading my trigger to a Trigger Tech. Any thoughts on using a two stage trigger for a dual purpose hunting/plinking rifle? I have heard many good things about the benefits of a two stage trigger but have not heard of anyone using one for hunting.

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't hesitate to use a two stage trigger like the Geissele Super 700 on a hunting rifle. Two stage triggers tend to cost more than single stage triggers and have more complex internal mechanisms. I would assume both of those play some part in the reason that you don't see them on more mass produced bolt actions rifles.

-- Scott

tdot

WKR
I dont believe the Trigger Tech is a 2 stage trigger. Atleast mine isn't and I dont recall seeing one 6 months ago when I bought it.

ultraedge

FNG
I have the T7 Tubb trigger on 3 rifles and they have been 100% dependable in hunting conditions. I have TT specials on the rest and they have also been dependable . I have had 2 failures on game shots with Jewells and 1 failure on game with a Bix & Andy. The T7 Tubb trigger has a wide range of adjustment and although more expensive, is my favorite hunting trigger.

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
Bix’ N Andy Ball Bearing Triggers, i have their 2 Stage Tacsport Triggers in both of my Rem 700s, NOTHING i have Tried Compares, These Bix Triggers are in a Class of their Own!

Clrems77

WKR
+1 on the Tubb T7. Been using it on my 300wm for about 4 years without a hiccup. Adjustable and super clean break.
My prior .308 had the Timmney 2 stage that was just as solid with a crisp break. It’s a bit cheaper and if on a budget I’d highly recommend it.

ericF

WKR
Speaking for myself, but might be the same for others, the perceived draw is a "lighter" trigger weight and a crisper break. Take something like the Geissele SSA-E which is a 2 stage trigger for an AR. The total trigger weight is around 3-4 pounds, but the first stage is 2 to 2 and a half pounds of that trigger weight. There is a definite wall there at the second stage and then you have a very crisp 1 lb break for the second stage. So even though you are still pulling 3lbs at the trigger, the 2 stages make it feel like a 1 lb trigger.

I run timney 2 stages in all my model 700s have for years...run Giessele SSAs in my hunting ARs...I actually prefer 2 stage now.

I've only used one doing load development for a family member. It didn't take long to get used to. I've got a model 7 that surely needs on of these!

What’s the draw to a 2 stage?

Im not sure what the claimed benefits are of each. To me there are possible benefits to consistently breaking shots with a two stage. If you take up the slack in the first stage without pressing the trigger strait back you can see it in reticle movement on target. A possible result is more consistent trigger break because in taking up slack in the first stage you are more conscious of pressing the trigger strait back to your shoulder and already have that force in the correct direction as you pull through the second stage.