Two tents are better than one?

Hey Everyone,

It’s been a while since I’ve been able to post anything on here but I just wanted to hear what everyone’s thoughts were on having 2 smaller tents instead of 1 bigger one. Last hunting season, I used a SO Redcliff and ran into the issue of having limited setup locations due to the amount of clear, flat ground available to get a decent pitch. This year, I’ve been contemplating switching to 2 smaller tents and I was just curious if anyone has had the same issue/went with 2 smaller tents and regretted the decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voyageur

WKR
Over the years we have gradually moved to each having our own tents. Seems to work better for several reasons...ease of finding a flat spot (smaller) to pitch being one.

Good to see you back brother..... Are you talking something like a small tent to sleep in and a 2nd shelter for gear when solo or each man takes his own shelter?

I've used an 8x10 tarp between two small tents for my partner and I to have a communal eating/planning/hang out area and refuge from the rain but never taken a separate shelter for just gear storage when going solo. We also used a small tarp for gear storage when we shared a Kifaru Mega Tarp and stove set up.

The last few years my hunting partner and I have taken our own shelters (my Kifaru Tut and his SO Cimarron) and its worked fine for us.

For base or trucking camping I have a larger roomier tent and tipi to accomodate out of state hunting buddies or the girlfriend. Backpack hunting is a different story. I have my own lightweight tent that sleeps only me. If the boys from back East want to run the ridges and mountains, they gotta bring their own gear.

AKDoc

WKR
Another vote here for separate tents for the reasons already mentioned...especially the snoring and confined space. I'll share a tent with a family member, but otherwise my friends and I each bring our own 2-man and use them solo.

I do bring a SO DST as cover for getting out of the rain as needed, or if base-camping in the fall I'll bring my SO 4-man tipi with stove for that purpose. That said, when it's lights out and hatches closed for the night, we head to our separate tents. I made one exception a few years ago on a pack-raft float...never again...having to sleep with earplugs in bear country is stupid.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Shared a small tent a few night with a buddy on a goat hunt, and shared a medium size tent on several hunts at basecamp. It worked but I have found that when it comes to smaller tents, I sleep far better in my own tent and on any future hunts will not be sharing smaller tents.

Wvroach

WKR
My hunting partner sounds like a old Idi 7.3 on a cold winter morning.. wall tent with earplugs/muffs when base camping. Separate tents when backpacking.

OP
mountainman406
Thanks for the replies everyone, much of what was said echos my thinking. Just for clarification, this will be used during the early season in the backcountry. I will be using a wall tent during the late season so that won’t be an issue. The spike camp setup that I had in mind would be 2 separate SO Cimarron tents with a DST between the two for a common area/gear/glassing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk