Two Weeks in the Colorado Elk Woods

I have two weeks in September to hunt elk in Colorado this year. Which two weeks do I hunt?

• September 9-23

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • September 16-30

Votes: 59 67.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters

Breeves1

Lil-Rokslider
This year I turn 40 in the fall and couldn’t think of a better place to spend it then to chase elk in September. I’ll be in Colorado during September with my bow. With the moon phases this season, muzzleloader season, and considering pressure, which two weeks would you hunt in Colorado for elk this fall?

KHNC

WKR
Muzzle loader season will shut them down at times on bugling. In addition to the loads of archery pressure. Tough to call this one.

OP
Breeves1

Breeves1

Lil-Rokslider
Some added information. It will be a LE hunt and not an OTC hunt. Thanks everyone.

Gerbdog

WKR
I wouldnt fret the moon phase a ton, i would avoid muzzle loader. Pick a side on either side of the muzzle loader season and go, i've had bulls talking in all moon phases.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Good luck on your hunt, whatever you decide. I'll be in unit 62 for the 2nd week of archery.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
Breeves1

Breeves1

Lil-Rokslider
Is it next year or the year after cnelk? I thought that was 2024. I have the points for a Wyoming general tag next year so I don’t want to hunt Colorado over Wyoming. But was definitely wanting to get to the woods this year to chase elk.

Marble

WKR
This year I turn 40 in the fall and couldn’t think of a better place to spend it then to chase elk in September. I’ll be in Colorado during September with my bow. With the moon phases this season, muzzleloader season, and considering pressure, which two weeks would you hunt in Colorado for elk this fall?
My suggestion is do not worry about pressure or the moon.

For two weeks there hunting, you'll need to be smart. Don't hike yourself into exhaustion, plan smaller 3 to 4 night trips. Take entire day breaks just glassing and relaxing. Watch the weather, look for cold snaps, snow/rain, wind...its a marathon not a race.

Be fluid. Move. Check other areas, return to where you see good sign prior.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Anytime is a good time to be in the Elk woods (except Labor Day weekend!, %$#@* trail bikers on Wilderness Trails). Still got to find them whenever you go.

MHB

FNG
If I had to choose, I would choose the later half of the season. Fortunately I hunt the month of September. Early season tends to have more recreational (non-hunter) users in the woods with you. I have also found if there are cattle in the area that the cowboys usually have them moved out by the 20th. This can help you on areas to focus on or avoid.

As an archery hunter I prefer to avoid the Muzzle loader season (Sep 10-18 2022).

MrBHSir

FNG
Muzzle loader season will shut them down at times on bugling. In addition to the loads of archery pressure. Tough to call this one.
My first couple years I avoided archery hunting during muzzleloader season thinking the added pressure and noise would lower the amount of chances generated... From personal experience I have called in more bulls and generated more chances during the week of muzzleloader. Not sure if the exact reason, but that is what has been my experience

KHNC

WKR
My first couple years I avoided archery hunting during muzzleloader season thinking the added pressure and noise would lower the amount of chances generated... From personal experience I have called in more bulls and generated more chances during the week of muzzleloader. Not sure if the exact reason, but that is what has been my experience
Probably just better timing of the rut. No doubt at all there will be more hunters in the woods. Archery guys dont slow down much during September. Its a big crowd. ML guys just add more to the pile.

Weve gone early and late, have been in elk either way. We have started going later the last few years, just because it works with work scheduling. It's also a touch cooler. We don't have to worry too much about muzzleoader guys as there aren't very many tags in our unit. Saw a few last time we hunted there, but not enough to screw anything up. I really think its a crapshoot either way. FWIW we will be out there the last weekend of muzzy season and the subsequent week and weekend.