Two Western WA blacktails down!

shanevg

WKR
My dad and I had our family's most successful weekend of blacktail hunting in years. Saturday night (while I was down in Seattle with my wife while she took her Medical Assistant certification test - she passed by the way) my dad made it out to one of our hunting spots and found a monster old regressed buck chasing does around. Unfortunately I didn't get any good pics as I was out of town, I'll upload some of his if he ever gets around to downloading them off the camera.

His main frame was a 3x3 with eyeguards but he has a gnarly third antler growing out of his forhead with 3 points on it as well. Pretty cool buck! He is getting a euro mount of him so he should look pretty cool!

photo-20-2_zps4c134cdb.jpg

This morning, I headed out to a different spot that we hunt. When I left the house it was 37 degrees and overcast. The forecast called for .05 inches of rain for about an hour in the morning. Instead, it rained close to .75 inches and I was drenched and freezing cold. Early in the morning I had 2 does (I think) walk by at less than 40 yards and I had my gun on them and never could tell for sure if they were bucks or does because the rain was coming down so hard and thick I couldn't see clearly through it.

Around 8:30 I was about ready to call it quits as my hands were so cold I couldn't move them anymore. I actually started walking the logging road back to my truck when I looked up and saw something that looked "deer like" about 175 yards away. Sure enough it was a buck standing broadside looking at me. The rain had started to let up a bit and he had got up to start feeding. I was hoping to get a big 3 or 4 point this year but it was one of those times when you're so cold and miserable that when the buck stepped out it never even crossed my mind not to shoot it! I dropped my bipod and got a perfect heart shot at 175 yards and dropped him in his tracks!

He's not the biggest buck on the mountain but he is my biggest blacktail to date so I am thrilled.

IMG_2041-28_zpsce54219e.jpg

IMG_2039-27_zpsb46ef5c1.jpg

(Yes I was wearing hunter's orange I just took it off for the pictures because I think they look better without it.)

All in all it was a pretty good weekend! I took my brother out this evening to see if we could make it a perfect 3 for 3 but we struck out.

The rut is definitely starting to kick in. My dad's buck was chasing a doe around a field and mine definitely was starting to get a swollen neck. With all this cold weather and mountain snow it shoudl be a good final week of the season!

trkyslr

WKR
Very nice! They're starting to think about rutting here in nor cal as well...

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
Nice deer! I've only gone twice this season and saw two decent forks together. Just did'nt have a shot because of the brush. I haven't seen any rutting going on here yet though.

7mag.

WKR
Congrats Shane! I've been hitting it pretty hard the last 2 weeks and have been seeing a lot of does, but only 4 bucks. The biggest was about like the one you shot. I watched him in his bed for about an hour, laying under a downed tree. I finally got ahold of my buddy who came over and shot him. I've got 10 more days total of blacktail hunting, so for now, I am being picky. Your dad's buck is cool, a lot of character. Hunting blacktails in the rain is miserable, but usually very productive.

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn't agree more with hunting in the rain.
Congrats Shane! I've been hitting it pretty hard the last 2 weeks and have been seeing a lot of does, but only 4 bucks. The biggest was about like the one you shot. I watched him in his bed for about an hour, laying under a downed tree. I finally got ahold of my buddy who came over and shot him. I've got 10 more days total of blacktail hunting, so for now, I am being picky. Your dad's buck is cool, a lot of character. Hunting blacktails in the rain is miserable, but usually very productive.