Two youth, Two different Oregon youth elk tags, I need some help

Back story... My 16 year old son got screwed out of his California draw points as a youth because this year, California sunseted the youth age from 17 to under 16... so he had no real opportunity to score any of the Cali youth draw hunts. So... I threw a hail marry and put them both in for Oregon youth tags. Yea for me, I think... Both sons got drawn but for different areas.

My youngest son got drawn for 246T which is the flat creek youth hunt. Antler-less elk, Basically the hunt area is the Phillip W Schneider wild life area on the west area of Murderers creek Unit 46. Hunt dates are August 1 through 28.

My older son got drawn for 251T Baker, Antler-less elk. This hunt encompasses all of the three units of Sumpter 51, Keating 63, and Pinecreek 62. Hunt dates August 1 through December 31.

As you might be able to figure out, those are huge areas. and for the second hunt, a really broad time span. I live in Northern California, so the drive times are 10-15 hours depending on the unit. I look forward to scouting, but those hunt dates are coming quick and its not just a quick trip to the back yard

We will obviously be consulting the local biologists.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for these areas? I have seen a lot of guys get there butts handed to them when asking for this kind of stuff on other forums and social media, but I kind of feel that this situation is a bit different.

Does anyone have any thoughts on hunting that early? what is the "pattern" that the elk will be following that early in the year?

Btw both youth are in good physical condition, and are reasonable shots, Packing in, or packing meat out is not of the question. They are willing to work for their hunt. I would usually say they have great gear, but I don't know if they have any hot weather camo...

What else am I missing?

Thank you in advance for any info or help you are willing to give.

HntnFsh

FNG
Hope you can get this worked out for the boys. Post this up on Ifish.net in the hunting forum also. It's based out of Oregon. There are some great people over there. I'm sure some one will step up to do what they can. Best of luck to you!

2rocky

WKR
I'd get the boys in on it. Especially the Escouting and calling the biologists. Spring for the On-X subscription and let the boys show you what they know. Get a list of landowners from that also. When you are scouting on the ground it is good to know some names when you engage the locals, so you know when they say "Watch out for McCraken, he likes calling the sheriff", or that Smith's are a nice older couple...

Most folks are going to be a LOT nicer to a teen kid than a grown up.

Find out who the local RMEF chapter officers in that area (usually county) are. They like helping kids.

Help the boys formulate a list of questions for the biologists. I know it is tough for kids today to talk on the phone or in person, but it will serve them well. Maybe even write out a script for their introduction.

I think you will be hunting elk that are feeding in hayfields or other irrigated agriculture. Basically a depredation hunt. Landowners should be accommodating.

I'm new on here so unable to PM. I have hunted similar area if you want to reach out I have a few basic ideas.

Walter - How did this hunt go? I have a 15yo daughter that pulled this youth hunt and am unfamiliar with the territory as well. Seeing that it is cow elk I would hope peeps aren't hung up on honey holes as we are all just trying to teach the kids and get some meat in the freezer. Any help would be appreciated.

WRO

WKR
Call Walker Powell, he guides in Murders Creek and the surrounding unite. He's a really good guy and definitely likes to help kids. He'll steer you in the right direction if nothing else.

541 620 8848