TX Nilgai

OXN939

WKR
Anyone have any firsthand experience hunting these? Got a colleague who has an opportunity to do a free range spot-and-stalk gig on a 170K acre ranch in mid March. Not cheap, but apparently they're delicious and it looks like a pretty cool hunt. Seems like it'd be tail end of the rut, but on private like this, I'm guessing that's not as big a deal. Thanks in advance for any input.

Stalker69

WKR
I don’t have first hand knowledge but know several people that have hunted them. They can sometimes take a lot to put down. Most use fairly heavy rifles, and some need more then one shot in them to bring them down. I would love to hunt one.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
I don’t have first hand knowledge but know several people that have hunted them. They can sometimes take a lot to put down. Most use fairly heavy rifles, and some need more then one shot in them to bring them down. I would love to hunt one.

Tracking on that. A .30 caliber Barnes TSX 165 grain doing ~2500 FPS should do the trick just fine. Nilgai seem to be a case study for the use of copper monos. Gallon jug test from a Nilgai-specific range I ran this weekend below.

20200215_121551.jpg

I'm itching to sic my .375 Ruger on one.

One of the few practical ways to put big game rigs to use in N.A. The outfitter indicated that he has all variety of big bores he'll let you borrow, but I'd rather have a rifle I've got lots of reps and am accurate with than a big bore I shot once at a range the morning of a hunt, so I'm sticking with my .308 and limiting my shots to under 200. .375 Ruger would be a solid choice, though!

FlyGuy

WKR
Anyone have any firsthand experience hunting these? Got a colleague who has an opportunity to do a free range spot-and-stalk gig on a 170K acre ranch in mid March. Not cheap, but apparently they're delicious and it looks like a pretty cool hunt. Seems like it'd be tail end of the rut, but on private like this, I'm guessing that's not as big a deal. Thanks in advance for any input.

I’ve hunted them 3 times here in TX, twice were in Fall of 2019. What questions do you have?

You can’t cheat the mountain

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
I’ve hunted them 3 times here in TX, twice were in Fall of 2019. What questions do you have?

Ever have any experience with how rut activity is during mid March? How are large bulls as table fare?

FlyGuy

WKR
Well, I can’t help you with either of those questions. Never hunted them in March and have only killed 2 cows. Sorry!

Jaker_cc

WKR
Ever have any experience with how rut activity is during mid March? How are large bulls as table fare?

I killed two big bulls in the last 5 years and both were great eating. Not sure on rut timeframe, I’d guess you will be down in the valley though so temps could be 90* by then, get them cleaned quick

Poptart

FNG
Not sure how the rut will affect them. They are very wary and will bolt sometimes even at 300 yards. It Should be warm weather in March. It is mostly a spot and stalk game. Best advice I could give is to put another round in him especially if shooting smaller than a 338. Bulls are 400 lbs and up.

Jaker_cc

WKR
They are tough but I’ve never had to shoot one more than once. Two with arrows and one with a 338 in the white spot under the chin. Had buddies shoot one 3-5 times with magnum rifles and still have to finish them off up close

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
They are tough but I’ve never had to shoot one more than once. Two with arrows and one with a 338 in the white spot under the chin. Had buddies shoot one 3-5 times with magnum rifles and still have to finish them off up close

Good SA on this. My buddy who lives down there says that most of the stories about having to empty an entire mag into them are the result of people who are scared of the big belted magnums they're carrying and make poor shots, or shoot as far back as they would on deer/elk and send one through the lungs. Running at least one more range off shooting sticks to prep before I head down there. Definitely not about that poor shot club life

Last edited:
OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Not sure how the rut will affect them. They are very wary and will bolt sometimes even at 300 yards. It Should be warm weather in March. It is mostly a spot and stalk game. Best advice I could give is to put another round in him especially if shooting smaller than a 338. Bulls are 400 lbs and up.

Climatology says highs around 80, lows in the 60s. At least I won't have to pack a ton of clothes.

Poptart

FNG
Archery on a Nilgai? Impressive! I have a new bucket list item. What was your equipment set up?

Jaker_cc

WKR
Archery on a Nilgai? Impressive! I have a new bucket list item. What was your equipment set up?

Same as elk, heavy arrow and a sharp single bevel broadhead. Quartered away and tucked in the armpit. I shoot 82.5lbs at 31 1/2” about 298fps. Arrow weighs 545 +or- a few

Explorer

FNG
I just shot a good bull last week down there in spot and stalk hunt. I would say rut activity was minimal. I saw bulls in groups and singles but some bulls seemed to be searching. I think some breeding could happen year around but I have seen the most activity around late December and earily January.
I used to guide hunts on Nilgai and would eat it almost every meal. I think it is the best meat I have had regardless of the sex or age of the animal. Even mature bulls have tender meat, you will notice it when you are processing it too.
Yes, they are an extremely tough animal and do not give up!!
You need to shoot them when they are relaxed, and make the first shot count. Yes, I have seen people take them with .17 HMR and .22wm with perfect shots. I have also seen a bull take 17 rounds from a .270 and 300WM after the first shot was too far back. I personally would stay above .308.
With this last bull I was using a .308 with 178gr ELDX. (I killed two elk with this round, each only took one shot and the elk took a few steps and fell over.) The shot placement was good and the bullet(s) performed perfectly but it still took 4 rounds to bring it down. The first shot was right behind the shoulder and knocked him to the ground. I thought to my self "it can't be that easy" I was right. It got up and ran off. Six shots later and 4 hits it was down for good. The first shot was fatal but he might have gone hundreds of yards onto the brush if I wouldn't have put more rounds in him. He went over a100 yards the way it was. He did not bleed so I wouldn't have been able to track him.
Some guides I worked with would say to shoot a few inches back from the sholder. I think they felt you would get more lung that way and they wouldn't run as far. 20200221_182501.jpg20200221_182143.jpg

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
I just shot a good bull last week down there in spot and stalk hunt. I would say rut activity was minimal. I saw bulls in groups and singles but some bulls seemed to be searching. I think some breeding could happen year around but I have seen the most activity around late December and earily January.
I used to guide hunts on Nilgai and would eat it almost every meal. I think it is the best meat I have had regardless of the sex or age of the animal. Even mature bulls have tender meat, you will notice it when you are processing it too.
Yes, they are an extremely tough animal and do not give up!!
You need to shoot them when they are relaxed, and make the first shot count. Yes, I have seen people take them with .17 HMR and .22wm with perfect shots. I have also seen a bull take 17 rounds from a .270 and 300WM after the first shot was too far back. I personally would stay above .308.
With this last bull I was using a .308 with 178gr ELDX. (I killed two elk with this round, each only took one shot and the elk took a few steps and fell over.) The shot placement was good and the bullet(s) performed perfectly but it still took 4 rounds to bring it down. The first shot was right behind the shoulder and knocked him to the ground. I thought to my self "it can't be that easy" I was right. It got up and ran off. Six shots later and 4 hits it was down for good. The first shot was fatal but he might have gone hundreds of yards onto the brush if I wouldn't have put more rounds in him. He went over a100 yards the way it was. He did not bleed so I wouldn't have been able to track him.
Some guides I worked with would say to shoot a few inches back from the sholder. I think they felt you would get more lung that way and they wouldn't run as far. View attachment 157974View attachment 157975

Dang man, awesome SA on all of this. Thanks so much. How far was your shot? Placement looks perfect. Super stoked to, hopefully, try it- just ran out of Kodiak Blacktail and am crossing fingers big time I can get it done.

I have taken 2. Great hunt can be a very social hunt. Usually done "safari" style where you drive and spot out of a jeep and thenFollow up on foot.They are fine table fair. Shoot further foward than you think.