TX Nilgai

Explorer

FNG
Looks like there may have been some kind of hard tissue impact there. Still solid expansion, though. Shooting Barnes TSX and red dot is my hold point- anything you'd modify about that?

View attachment 158087

Yes, I don't remember where I pulled that bullet from. I think it went through the off side shoulder and it broke the shoulder.
I guess don't over think shot placement, mostly a good shot on most game will be a good shot with them. Aming for a spot that has a good margin of error is good. Just make the first one good and keep shooting till it's done.
For your photo, yes that would be a good shot as long as your bullet holds together and keeps going after it goes through the shoulder.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Yes, I don't remember where I pulled that bullet from. I think it went through the off side shoulder and it broke the shoulder.
I guess don't over think shot placement, mostly a good shot on most game will be a good shot with them. Aming for a spot that has a good margin of error is good. Just make the first one good and keep shooting till it's done.
For your photo, yes that would be a good shot as long as your bullet holds together and keeps going after it goes through the shoulder.

Had the opportunity to trade into and clean up a Winchester Model 70 Supergrade in .30-06 from the mid 80s... new rings, bases, recoil pad and some copper solvent down the bore and she's looking solid. Still trying to figure out why they ever changed that original M70 trigger. T minus a week

20200303_120425.jpg

Explorer

FNG
Wow! That is a nice looking rifle!! Looks like you are getting it dialed in! Good luck on your hunt! Send us an update when you get back!

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Wow! That is a nice looking rifle!! Looks like you are getting it dialed in! Good luck on your hunt! Send us an update when you get back!

Thanks. Extra 4" of barrel and the .30-06 vs .308 should give the same projectile about 300 more FPS. Long range forecast showing highs in the mid 80s...

twdjr

WKR
The hunt will be a blast. Nilgai are fun to hunt and great table fare. We always preferred the young bulls, cows or calfs for our personal consumption. Like mentioned in the thread shot placement is the key. They can take a punch and don't leave much of a blood trail. I've never had any issues taking them with my .270.

Good luck and give an update after the hunt.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Observations-

1. Nilgai is as good eating as everyone says.

2. They are also as tough as everyone says. Hit mine right in the vitals with the aforementioned .30-06 load (168 gr. Barnes TSX doing ~2700 at impact velocity) at about 85 yards. It goes down. Then gets up. Then gets hit twice more. Then runs away. Only went about 50 yards, fortunately, but I have yet to see an animal fall down like that and then jog away as if nothing happened.

3. The mounts are way to cool not to get done, so build an extra grand into the cost of the trip.

20200318_145346.jpg

Some of the best eating meat you’ll ever try. Very tough animals, we always told clients to keep shooting until we say stop. Vitals are forward from North American game, heart and lungs up under the shoulder. Solid copper bullets are best.