Tyto Ti vs Kestrel Mountain Scalpel

Anozira

WKR
Looking to go with a replaceable blade Titanium knife this year. I have narrowed it down to the Tyto Ti or the Kestrel Mountain Scalpel. Does anyone have experience with either they would like to share? Either good or bad? They both seem to be about the same weight and made from titanium. I am drawn to the handle on the Tyto but naturally its the more expensive pick between the two. My plan would be to leave the kydex sheath at home and leave the blade off until I hopefully got an animal on the ground.

I have no experience with either one, but this thread might be helpful:

OP
Anozira

Anozira

WKR
I have no experience with either one, but this thread might be helpful:

You won't believe me but I promised I searched before posting. Obviously I missed it, thanks for sharing. I'll delete this one.

Edit: I don't know how to delete it. Maybe the mods can help.

Scrappy

WKR
I own a Tyto, and would just recommend saving your pennies, and buying this instead. Weighs essentially the same, and has better ergonomics.

I wasted my money on a tyto as well before I found the scalpel handle from havalon. I'm using the 60A blades with them.

I have the Tyto and the Kestrel. Have used the plastic handle types as well and prefer the jimped handled Kestrel more than the others.

KHNC

WKR
Any of the replaceable scapel blade knives will break blades much more than you would like. I have owned a havalon for 9 years. I have skinned a lot of game with it. But, it is still a pain with breaking blades. Plus, you risk bleeding out each time you change a blade. Defeats the purpose of saving weight if you have to carry pliers to change out blades. I just bought the K1 from Iron Will, along with the carbide sharpener. IMO, i think this will be the better choice.

OP
Anozira

Anozira

WKR
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I have used an outdoor edge on four elk up to this point and I love the rigidity of the blade but I'm willing to sacrifice that for a lighter knife. Normally I day hunt out of a base camp but this year I'm going to try a backpacking hunt and I'm trying to cut ounces everywhere I can.

I used to break the thinner Havalon blades, but the thicker blades have proven extremely durable for me. I'm not sure how guys change blades on scalpel type handles, but I've never once felt that I was going to cut myself doing it. I just simply use my thumbnail to apply upward pressure on the back of the blade. Then, I just pinch the handle with my other hand index finger and thumb and use my thumbnail to slowly push the blade forward out of the slot. Even if my nail slips, it only goes 1/8" and cannot hit the blade. You could also just pinch the back of the blade after the rear is lifted and slide it out. I've done it with bloody and slippery hands and it's never been a concern.

Take a look at the Iron Will K1 knife. 1 oz and holds amazing edge!! You don’t have to deal with broken blades too

Ucsdryder

WKR
Any of the replaceable scapel blade knives will break blades much more than you would like. I have owned a havalon for 9 years. I have skinned a lot of game with it. But, it is still a pain with breaking blades. Plus, you risk bleeding out each time you change a blade. Defeats the purpose of saving weight if you have to carry pliers to change out blades. I just bought the K1 from Iron Will, along with the carbide sharpener. IMO, i think this will be the better choice.

Sometimes it’s the Indian and not the arrow. The last 5 elk I’ve done I’ve broken 2 or 3 blades total. I can do an entire elk with 1 blade if I have to but I usually swap them out half way. That’s 100% with havalon including removing the skull from the spine.

ChrisAU

WKR
I love my Outdoor Edge Razor Pro, used it on dozens of whitetail. Took it on my elk hunt last year, but its around 8oz. I just picked up an Outdoor Edge Razor Lite EDC...exact same thing just 1/2" shorter blade (still 3" long), and its 2.2 oz with a blade on it.

KHNC

WKR
Sometimes it’s the Indian and not the arrow. The last 5 elk I’ve done I’ve broken 2 or 3 blades total. I can do an entire elk with 1 blade if I have to but I usually swap them out half way. That’s 100% with havalon including removing the skull from the spine.
I rarely ever break blades on whitetails. Elk are a different story. I am usually in a hurry and cant be super careful about blade pressure. Its nice to have a fixed blade and not have to worry about it all. I really like the havalon, thats why i used one for 9 years. But, i feel like my new K1 will be a forever replacement for elk skinning.