Tyvek and Plastic Garbage Bags

WyoKid

WKR
Roksliders:

Just back from a successful Elk hunt - shot a 5x6 - not a monster bull but I couldn't pass him up at 17 yards with a down hill pack and 1/4 mi from camp. Besides "any Elk is a good Elk" in my book, especially when it feeds my family.

In any event, in an engaging discussion with my hunting partners about packing out the Elk, cooling it and keeping the meat clean, the discussion turned to using Tyvek or plastic garbage bags to keep meat off the ground and clean.

Long story short, I learned that Tyvek (construction grade) while cheap and often free at construction sites might be a great ground cloth for a tent or sleeping pad, it is obviously not food grade safe. It contains chemicals in the processing as well as an anti-mold retardant. Probably not something you want your food on. Food grade Tyvek is different.

As for garbage bags, what I used for everything from a quick rain poncho, tarp shelter, ground cloth as well as to submerge meat into the creek or keep my pack clean when hauling meat is also probably not a good alternative. Even though I used generic unscented bags, there are still chemicals that can leach out of the plastic, including BPA and phthalates. In addition, they might be treated with an insecticide.

Now before everyone comments on how they have been using garbage bags or Tyvek for years, as well as their fathers and grandfathers, without any ill effects, all I am saying is give it some thought. Our family did the same for years but I don't anymore.

As a practical matter, I went away from plastic anyway as most of my Elk fall on steep mountain sides. Plastic on a sloop combined with blood and wet meat was noting but a wet and wild slide without the bikini. This was defeating the purpose of trying the keep the meat clean.

In the end, you can choose how to bag your meat....I am just going to stay with using quality game sacks to hang and pack out plus a small cotton bed sheet to put my meat on when quartering .

Last edited:

grfox92

WKR
After field processing 3 antelope this year, (my first three animals I have ever quartered in the field) I feel far more concerned about hair, stomach contents and poop getting on the meat rather then dirt, sage or pine needles.

I'm a newbie to quartering in the field, and maybe I'm wrong but I don't see dirt and pine needles having an affect on quality or tase of meat. So for me a ground sheet wouldn't be a priority for me.

I'm with you on the plastics also. I have been cutting off quarters and putting them right into clean cotton pillow cases to pack out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

tuffcity

WKR
Usually just put it on the game bags until it goes inside. Depending on the ground cover I'll sometimes lay out a siltarp and put quarters on that, especially if I'm deboning in the field (i.e.: sheep). Grass and hair and dirt is a pia to remove after the "crust" starts to form on the meat.

Good points on the Tyvek. I actually just recently acquired some to use for the same purpose but may have to reconsider.

If you age your meat, the outer 1/8 of an inch becomes crust and gets filleted off anyway.

More to the OP’s point, I wonder if an emergency blanket or polycro is any better. I know they make food grade poly sheeting. We use it at work. I just don’t know where you can get it as an individual and not a food manufacturer.

As others said, when I’ve quartered deer, they just go on the game bag though. Hasn’t really been an issue.

Last edited:
OP
WyoKid

WyoKid

WKR
I agree, keep the meat as clean as possible before the crust forms. I also try the go from animal to game bag. However, sometimes (most of the time) my Elk fall in less than ideal places (wedged in downfall, in a narrow creek bed, under downed trees, ect.) that required me to cut the quarters off and then debone before placing in game sacks for the pack out. This is where I use a ground cloth to keep meat off the dirt while I debone off the quarters.

Fatcamp

WKR
Interesting. My Tyvek sheets have been washed 20 times if once to cut down on the noise, wonder what's left. Original use was as a ground cloth/emergency shelter. I put game bags in a contractor bag for the pack out but they come out ASAP.

That's kind of the point of using them. Between a contractor bag and a sheet of Tyvek you would have a reasonable shelter in an emergency, and they pull double duty. Zero chance I'm carrying cotton anything I'm the field.

I will probably put my meat into game bags prior to putting them on Tyvek though. Try to minimize my exposure to random chemicals.

ColeyG

WKR
Usually just put it on the game bags until it goes inside. Depending on the ground cover I'll sometimes lay out a siltarp and put quarters on that, especially if I'm deboning in the field (i.e.: sheep). Grass and hair and dirt is a pia to remove after the "crust" starts to form on the meat.

This.

An 8'x10' sil tarp is standard in my pack. It makes a great emergency shelter and is super handy when it comes to caring for meat, whether you are laying the meat out to bag and/or dry, or hanging it and need it covered. Combine with high quality, lightweight game bags like TAG, Argali, or Caribou and you have a durable, safe meat care system without nearly the bulk of cotton, cloth, or chemically infused alternatives.

Dirtbag

WKR
throw a $2 walmart plastic shower curtain in your kill kit for laying out quarters and meat in game bags. could also be rigged up for emergency rain protection, works well and is cheap.

I don't worry about BPA or anything like that, the meat isn't on there for long.

I’m firmly in the 8x10 siltarp only leaves the pack when being used camp. And it gets used a lot. Unfortunately, for me, care of game meat isn’t it’s primary use but it’s always there.

The last elk I quartered was in a recent burn zone ash field. The siltarp was a critical piece of gear in that situation. In fact the siltarp often becomes a critical piece of gear, mostly when least expected.

Savage99

WKR
I’m firmly in the 8x10 siltarp only leaves the pack when being used camp. And it gets used a lot. Unfortunately, for me, care of game meat isn’t it’s primary use but it’s always there.

The last elk I quartered was in a recent burn zone ash field. The siltarp was a critical piece of gear in that situation. In fact the siltarp often becomes a critical piece of gear, mostly when least expected.

Which tarp do you pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
After field processing 3 antelope this year, (my first three animals I have ever quartered in the field) I feel far more concerned about hair, stomach contents and poop getting on the meat rather then dirt, sage or pine needles.

I'm a newbie to quartering in the field, and maybe I'm wrong but I don't see dirt and pine needles having an affect on quality or tase of meat. So for me a ground sheet wouldn't be a priority for me.

I'm with you on the plastics also. I have been cutting off quarters and putting them right into clean cotton pillow cases to pack out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I kind of agree with you a little....I have laid quarters or meat on some rocks or across sage...I've laid it across logs etc. However that is not always an option. no way will I just lay the meat on the ground and pick up every pine needle and rock under it. What a pain in the a$$ when you go to clean it.

At minimum cheap cheese cloth game bags are immediately put on the meat...it will still cool in them put keeps them clean. Actually the cheap game bags are all I use and have never had an issue. I also debone everything in the field so I have a bit more surface area and more places for dirt and crap to collect.

I used a tyvek ground sheet for the first time last month while I was quartering my deer. It was nice to not immediately worry about getting the meat into my game bags and it was cool enough not to have many flies. When it comes to contractor garbage bags, I've only ever used them to put my game bags in for keeping my pack cleaner.

Thanks for posting this. I had not considered what treatment might be on the tyvek. I'm not worried about the meat but will probably go a different route in the future.

I get free 50 lb grain bags from the local breweries.
Really appreciate the insight here. I love using tyvex for both meat staging as well as placing around the animal, in case a slip occurs and I need a quick place to rest the meat. Had not considered the chemicals used.. Love the idea of cutting a Brewers grain sack sourced from a local Homebrew shop or brewery, will move this direction once my current tyvex supply runs out