Tyvek; became a complicated purchase...what to buy & where?

I am going down the floorless rabbit hole and need to buy some Tyvek for a ground sheet. I searched amazon and when you type in Tyvek you get 15,000 results, and when you search for tyvek ground sheet you get 42 results, but they vary in price from about ~$8 to $25+ dollars...

Everything I have read just says, "go an get yourself some Tyvek," nothing specific about where, what kind, etc. So, I can't be the only confused on this, what shouldn't be a complicated purchase...

I have a 25" x 78" pad, so I was thinking 3-4' wide and 7-8' long would be plenty to keep me and some gear off the ground. But I am open to reasoning for going wider, longer, etc.

Also, some of the materials look different - is it all waterproof??? Or, do you need a specific kind to get better waterproofness for when you are setting up on damp/wet ground or snow?

Specific links to what everyone is buying on Amazon, or other sites would be greatly appreciated. Hope this helps some others as well.

Tsnider

WKR
go on ebay. forget the actual seller, but i got 2 8x4 sheets for around 15 shipped. price was something like that. actually i think i bought one long 16" section and cut it to size. either way, ebay.

then wash it in cold water with no soap a few times in your washing machine. hang it up to dry, do NOT put it in the drier. then it will become a soft usable cloth.

The basic tyvek is cheap at Home Depot. You can get a huge roll that will last a lifetime. The best way to get it cheap is ask a construction worker for some at a building site.
There is another type that is kite builders tyvek. This is more expensive but isn't nearly as noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UtahJimmy

WKR
I too just switched to a floorless shelter and unfortunately needed some Tyvek in a hurry last week. I went to HD and they wouldn't sell it by the foot and I didn't want to run all over town trying to track some down so I went over to their paint supply and was going to pick up the smallest 6 mil plastic they had. Found this instead:

Access Denied

Basically Tyvek underside with an absorbing layer on top. I taped it to my floor and traced both my pads out. There was still leftovers for a sheet for my dog and one to go under my pillow for a glassing seat. Worked well last weekend as I slept on the snow. My pad didn't slide around since the top fabric allows for a little tack. Weight might be a little more than Tyvek; the larger of the 2 I cut was right under 3 oz.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Stop at any site where they are building and they usually will give you a piece that big or in dumpster.

3forks

WKR
Note to mods... Just like kill kits - Tyvek ground sheets in various precut sizes are something that would probably sell pretty easily on the Rokslide store.

92xj

WKR
I've heard after a few uses of tyvek that when you kneel down on your knees or an elbow for an extended period of time, a minute or 5, on moist soil/ground, that your point of contact will absorb moisture that permeates the tyvek. Any experience? Since I've been told that on a few occasions, I have gone with a 4 mil plastic ground sheet that water will not permeate.

OP
B
I too just switched to a floorless shelter and unfortunately needed some Tyvek in a hurry last week. I went to HD and they wouldn't sell it by the foot and I didn't want to run all over town trying to track some down so I went over to their paint supply and was going to pick up the smallest 6 mil plastic they had. Found this instead:

Access Denied

Basically Tyvek underside with an absorbing layer on top. I taped it to my floor and traced both my pads out. There was still leftovers for a sheet for my dog and one to go under my pillow for a glassing seat. Worked well last weekend as I slept on the snow. My pad didn't slide around since the top fabric allows for a little tack. Weight might be a little more than Tyvek; the larger of the 2 I cut was right under 3 oz.

I have used that stuff before and will pick one up to compare it to just regular tyvek. You may be onto something about having a textured surface that might keep the pad from slipping as much.

I just get rolls of the plastic drop cloth and cut to size for my ground sheet.
cheaper, lighter, and its easy to replace after a few trips out. also doubles as a ground sheet for meat processing and then i dont feel bad trashing it afterwards and making a new one.

Beendare

WKR
Here let me make it simple for you <Grin>

Go to your local post Office and grab all of their EZ mail envelopes....fillet them open and tape together [tyvek tape if you must!]

and WALLAAA...you have a free tyvek ground sheet!

Not very helpful you say....awwww...just trying to help...grin

Beendare

WKR
I've heard after a few uses of tyvek that when you kneel down on your knees or an elbow for an extended period of time, a minute or 5, on moist soil/ground, that your point of contact will absorb moisture that permeates the tyvek. Any experience? ......

Its exactly as you say....put pressure on the tyvek....and moisture comes through. It doesn't make the best stand alone tent floors...but as a footprint under a tent its excellent as its abrasion resistant so it protects your waterproof tent floor from rocks and sticks well.

MIKEYB

WKR
I had one of these laying around, and have used it for a couple of years. Now it just rolls up with my tent for the most part. has grommets around the edge for staking too. Tyvek is probably somewhat lighter and can be found cheaper but I just haven't made the switch. Probably should pick some up to compare weight and bulk. I think I would prefer the white on the ground VS the blue as it may help with visibility of small items laying around. minor detail.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Products-Backpacker-s-Tarp-Blue/36547567

Some dabs of silicone on a ground cloth and or pad will help with any slipping, never bothered me enough to remember to dab some.

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
1443R tyvek, much quieter than standard tyvek and still cheap. got it based on a review here. normally used for kite making. haven't tested it much on wet ground though