Tyvek tent floor?

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody use Tyvek as a floor for a canvas tent? I have a 13x15 7oz canvas tent that is floorless. I’m looking to make or purchase a light weight floor for it that will work well... anybody have any experience with Tyvek? I know it’s water proof 1 does it breath at all- not sure if this will creat any condensation in the tent? Any other products out there that might work well?

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
Why would you want a floor in a canvas tent that large? I think it would be a mess covering that many square feet with a floor that is being walked on.
We have always just used cots and a bale of straw if it was really nasty.

OP
Barnesc6

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
I’m packing in with horses- I won’t have extra room for a bale of straw....

Acpinn

WKR
Ran tyvek under a tarp so a bit of a different case. Technically tyvek has micro pores to still "breathe" but I imagine it would be less effective on the ground. Great lightweight and durable option for floor though!

ztrusky

FNG
My wife and I have used Tyvek the last few seasons in our kifaru sawtooth. We each have a sheet that lays under our sleep system. In some cases it's the only thing that has saved our skin when the storms really got bad. We have been using bivis in our tent, but are now moving to lightweight cots to get off the ground.

Felix40

WKR
You arent wanting to make a floor for the entire thing are you? That would be incredibly noisy and most likely a big mess.

If you are just wanting to put pieces under your sleeping bags it works good for that. I would think some lightweight cots would be even better if you are using horses.

JMDavies

WKR
Thermarest makes a low profile cot that should save room on the ponies. That plus tyvek runners might be an option

Zeke6951

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't tried it but some one on another site suggested mesh tarp. One like farmers use to cover a trailer hauling wheat or similar small grain to keep it from blowing out on the road.

AKBorn

WKR
You arent wanting to make a floor for the entire thing are you? That would be incredibly noisy and most likely a big mess.

If you cut the piece of Tyvek, then soak it in your clothes washer (no detergent, just water) for 4-5 hours, then run it through a wash and rinse cycle, it comes out soft with all the crinkle gone and not much noise at all. I always use it as the floor for my cook tent, an old GoLite Shangri-La 5.

OP
Barnesc6

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
@AKBorn - great info, does it keep its water proof properties even after it’s been run through a wash cycle and soaked?

AKBorn

WKR
@AKBorn - great info, does it keep its water proof properties even after it’s been run through a wash cycle and soaked?

It seems to, I never noticed any water seeping through. I have used some floors for 3-4 seasons, have just brushed off the dirt and leaves at the end of the year, and put it through a wash cycle.

Smiley

FNG
I agree with AKBorn stays waterproof but must be wash to get rid of that crinkly noise that wakes me up when partner gets up in the nite