Tyvek vs... what to protect groundpad from sharps/wet ground?

For Floorless shelters, is Tyvek still the best option? Where to buy a 30x70 inch strip if so?

Amazon has the good tyvek. I got a roll of the house wrap kind but prefer the painter suit style. It is lighter and less noise but can help by putting it in washing machine.

Some guys use that window sealing stuff. I have not used it but it is super lite.

peterk123

WKR
I have a full roll of the stuff. Been using it as ground cover for a number of years. Works great, despite that it sounds like breaking glass when you unfold it. Heck, you can even sew it!

tdot

WKR
Seek Outside has a housewrap that they are selling. Its better then Tyvek IMO, it has texture to it, so you dont slide on it. It also appears to be tougher.

Dinger

WKR
Been using a DIY version of this (shipping horrendous US to AUS).

Stashed at base of pack.
i-zwM334R-X3.jpg

Gear getting wrapped up for a river crossing.
i-cz89gkv-X3.jpg

Replaced my glassing pad, non slip and a passable sleeping mat in a pinch if the main one has a catastrophic failure.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I use a SOL Emergency blanket. You can get partial pieces of Tyvek on Ebay. It is super convenient.

BBob

WKR
One of the lightest options but not necessarily the most durable is polycryo. It's cheap enough that you can replace it after several trips:

One of the lightest options but not necessarily the most durable is polycryo. It's cheap enough that you can replace it after several trips:

Thanks for posting. I`m slow to change things that work for me but going to try some of this.

rclouse79

WKR
I just do a Boarah bivy under my tarp. When I first got my thermarest x-therm I babied it and would bring a foam pad to lay it on inside the bivy. Now I just to the bivy half the time.

archp625

WKR
I just do a Boarah bivy under my tarp. When I first got my thermarest x-therm I babied it and would bring a foam pad to lay it on inside the bivy. Now I just to the bivy half the time.
You use the borah tarp as a ground cloth? I'm thinking of picking one up for a glassing tarp if it rains.

rclouse79

WKR
You use the borah tarp as a ground cloth? I'm thinking of picking one up for a glassing tarp if it rains.
I was saying that I use it in place of a ground cloth for my sleeping pad, plus it doubles as tick protection. It keeps my sleep system clean, and seem to be pretty tough. A small piece of tyvek would be nice if you had to pitch your floorless shelter somewhere it had already rained and was a muddy mess.

archp625

WKR
I was saying that I use it in place of a ground cloth for my sleeping pad, plus it doubles as tick protection. It keeps my sleep system clean, and seem to be pretty tough. A small piece of tyvek would be nice if you had to pitch your floorless shelter somewhere it had already rained and was a muddy mess.
This is good to know. I'm about to order the borah tarp and would love to have a dual purpose for it. IM glad to hear its holding up.

tdot

WKR
I'll second a vote for the Matty McMatt Face from Seek Outside. Its virtually the same weight as a Tyvek, insulates, doubles as a sit pad. But its more easily damaged and takes up roughly 4x - 5x the space. I bounce between the foam and their housewrap, depending on expected temps, terrain and available space in my bag.

I'll second a vote for the Matty McMatt Face from Seek Outside. Its virtually the same weight as a Tyvek, insulates, doubles as a sit pad. But its more easily damaged and takes up roughly 4x - 5x the space. I bounce between the foam and their housewrap, depending on expected temps, terrain and available space in my bag.
Thats good info. I cant lose that kind of space. Thank you.

This is what I do.

tdot

WKR
Thats good info. I cant lose that kind of space. Thank you.
The space aspect sucks. But it can be strapped to the bottom exterior of the pack. It could also be cut in 1/2 as its more then 2x the footprint of my inflatable mat. It is nice to have the extra space and it noticeably decreases the amount of condensation it's also warmer while doing chores or dressing in the tent.