Tyvek vs... what to protect groundpad from sharps/wet ground?

*zap*

WKR
a closed cell foam pad like thermarest ridgerest is probably #1 for preventing punctures, adding warmth, sit pad and giving some r value if you get a leak that you cannot fix in your inflatable pad. Still should have tyvex for the rest of the area you want your stuff on. Little bulky but not really heavy at all.

Here’s the tyvek I use for my homemade bivy. I get a piece that’s twice as long as my sleeping bag length and fold it in half. I put a tarp zipper on it and I have a bivy and a ground cloth in one It’s the soft tyvek so it’s not noisy. It’s waterproof and breathable. I never have a problem with condensation. I even put a sleeve in one with extra material for my sleep pad

Amazon

Tyvek 1443r. It’s about $14 bucks for a 36”x60inch piece. It’s sold by the yard
Qty of 1 gets you one yard, qty if 2 is two yards etc

ianpadron

WKR
I started using the ground sheets from Seek Outside this past year after they sent my wife and I a pair for our honeymoon road trip (talk about customer service).

A bit heavier than the old PolyPro or Mylar sheets I used to use but WAAAYYY more durable, and my sleeping pad sticks to the slightly tacky material instead of sliding all over during the night. Perfect length/width to keep some extra gear off the dirt too.

I really like them, and every partner I hunted with this year ended up buying one after our hunts together for their floorless set-ups. Says a lot.

I got a dyneema sheet from zpacks cause i really wanted to be able to stake it down and they have guyouts on them. Not cheap tho

tdot

WKR
Been using a DIY version of this (shipping horrendous US to AUS).

Stashed at base of pack.
i-zwM334R-X3.jpg

Gear getting wrapped up for a river crossing.
i-cz89gkv-X3.jpg

Replaced my glassing pad, non slip and a passable sleeping mat in a pinch if the main one has a catastrophic failure.
What type of foam did you use?

Dinger

WKR
What type of foam did you use?

A good point I forgot to mention and someone else touched on is the non-slip nature of a EVA foam mat. Tyvek, poly or DCF are good and well until you are sleeping on any kind of slope. EVA mats really assist with fighting gravity through the night.

S.Clancy

WKR
One of the lightest options but not necessarily the most durable is polycryo. It's cheap enough that you can replace it after several trips:

We've been using this from Gossamer gear the last 3-4 yrs. This stuff is unbelievable. Just buy a double size, we put the sleeping pad right on it, no issues.

A good point I forgot to mention and someone else touched on is the non-slip nature of a EVA foam mat. Tyvek, poly or DCF are good and well until you are sleeping on any kind of slope. EVA mats really assist with fighting gravity through the night.
This is so true, i also have the matty mcmattface and its a great multipurpose pad but it does rip easily and doesn't prevent every pokey thing from coming through it so you gotta keep that in mind. I cant decide if I'll ditch it or not on my next trip. Probably gonna try bringing my 16oz rei chair for glassing and camp instead and run the zpacks sheet under my pad next time and see how that goes

JCY

FNG
Thanks for the SO ground sheet review. I’ll be purchasing 2 of them for the Cimarron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the lightest options but not necessarily the most durable is polycryo. It's cheap enough that you can replace it after several trips:

Tried that stuff once. Didn't make it through one trip. I think if you look at it too hard, it will rip.

Tried that stuff once. Didn't make it through one trip. I think if you look at it too hard, it will rip.

My experience has been the opposite. I’ll get multiple seasons out of a sheet even. Are you sure you got the polycro that’s used for window insulation? Other plastics that they make lightweight drop cloth type stuff out of are totally different and not near as durable.

My experience has been the opposite. I’ll get multiple seasons out of a sheet even. Are you sure you got the polycro that’s used for window insulation? Other plastics that they make lightweight drop cloth type stuff out of are totally different and not near as durable.
Got it from Mountain Laurel Designs. Maybe there is a difference.

bangarang

FNG
We've been using this from Gossamer gear the last 3-4 yrs. This stuff is unbelievable. Just buy a double size, we put the sleeping pad right on it, no issues.

Double size, is that the 2 medium pack or 1 large pack they sell?

I bought the two mediums and plan to tape them together. I’ll test them in the snow while backcountry skiing next week.

S.Clancy

WKR
Double size, is that the 2 medium pack or 1 large pack they sell?

I bought the two mediums and plan to tape them together. I’ll test them in the snow while backcountry skiing next week.
Double size is the large, it's basically the same as 2 mediums and can fit 2 people on it. We use 1 for each side of a Cimarron or LBO. I actually have some mediums too for putting under a pad out in the dirt if I'm spiking out. Those sheets are unbelievably durable for the weight

i am adding the zpacks bathtub ground cloth to my sleep system.... looks like a great thing to have and can be used for several other uses as well

We use a piece of GAF TigerPaw roofing underlayment to lay on when working under decks, etc. Never tried it in the tent because I have tyvek too.. worth a shot if you know a roofer

This is so true, i also have the matty mcmattface and its a great multipurpose pad but it does rip easily and doesn't prevent every pokey thing from coming through it so you gotta keep that in mind. I cant decide if I'll ditch it or not on my next trip. Probably gonna try bringing my 16oz rei chair for glassing and camp instead and run the zpacks sheet under my pad next time and see how that goes
you can get a can of wetsuit cement and just repair it as you tear it (when you get home) i have one of them too, as well as their normal ground cloth, and i'll have the zpacks bathtub ground cloth (dyneema) different conditions will call for different options.

you can get a can of wetsuit cement and just repair it as you tear it (when you get home) i have one of them too, as well as their normal ground cloth, and i'll have the zpacks bathtub ground cloth (dyneema) different conditions will call for different options.
Yeah ive got several rips, I'll have to try that to patch them thats a good idea. Lemme know how you like the bathtub, i just got a triplex flat groundtarp from them along with some dry bags and other stuff but almost got a bathtub. Been watching their bargain listings since it seems they update them often and i have a free shipping coupon