Tyveks weight

Yukondog

WKR
For those that use Tyvek as a ground clothe what does it weight? I would need a piece that is 3x7 for my XL Exped pad.

I'm trying to figure out all the weights between different set ups. Leaning towards Sawtooth for hunting and also for backpacking with my two boys. During the summer months I'm looking into the bug bivy by Bearpaw that weights in at 10oz.

Also looking at the ground clothe by zpacks that is a tub(solo weights 2.7oz). Advertised as being more durable and stronger than Tyveks.

Any input would be great!

Thanks,

Matt

Mike7

WKR
Matt,

I have a 5x9 ft regular Tyvek house wrap cloth that is about 3 ounces. It's properties = very light and compressible, ? not 100% waterproof if lying directly in water especially after significant use like mine has seen, soft and quiet now after a season of use though, larger enough to cover 1/2 of the floor of my Luna 4 and create a bug proof shelter with a few rocks around the edges where the shelter's perimeter mosquito netting comes down to the ground, and large enough to accept my pack and gear along with the sleeping pad. I use this for summer backpacking right now.

I also have some slightly heavier sheeting that is typically used to wrap lumber that a friend of mine procured. I'm not sure exactly what it is called, but it seems to be 100% waterproof with what looks like woven Tyvek and a plastic/polypropolene type backing. It is somewhat bulkier and heavier than plain Tyvek, but quite durable. I cut this a little smaller (large enough to get a sleeping pad and backpack on the sheet...and also big enough to be able to raise the sides of the sheet off of the ground with rocks so that water from melting snow, etc. just runs right under it). I have made this my packable winter sheet now generally as lighter and less bulky than the $5 Walmart tarp cut to size with the grommets cut off.

I want to try an ultralight polycryo ground cloth next maybe, but not sure how well it will hold up to camping on huckleberry bushes, etc. during hunting season when campsites can be limited. Here is link with some info on groundsheets => http://southwestultralight.blogspot.com/2012/03/make-lightweight-durable-inexpensive.html

-Mike

Those ground sheets from zpacks look really nice. I am thinking about getting one also

swat8888

WKR
I just custom cut a contractor bag, came in at 3.4 ounces, 100% waterproof, folds small too. Might have to check out that zpack thing.

swat8888

WKR
Wow $100 for that cuben fiber thing, I'll stick to my trash bags at less than an ounce more.

dotman

WKR
Or you can get a ti-goat bug bivy for $90 at 5oz and not worry about tyvek.

Craig4791

WKR
Or you can get an ultra light bivy for around a $100. Most weigh 6-9 oz pack up real nice and keep the bugs out.

swat8888

WKR
I was going to go with drop cloth but could not find anything higher than 2 mil unless I bought a gigantic roll of the stuff that's why I cut up my bag since they are 3 or 4 mil, don't recall. 2mil was alot lighter but didn't look durable enough for more than a couple nights hunt.

OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
For those using the Tyveks are you cutting it to an exact fit of your pad or do you cut a little extra. For my large pad and having about 20" above my head as a place to get things off the ground. Close 6oz.