UGQ vs EE

I had a EE and thought it was under stuffed and over priced. The build quality was good however. Stitching was nicely done. My next one will be a UGQ Bandit XL. Feather Friends make an interesting quilt too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found UGQ to be the a better choice for both price and there temp rating is comfort rating vs EE is not. Meaning 10 degree should be “comfortable” with adequate pad. Honestly I have not tested my bandit to that yet. I believe UGQ is the better choice of the two. They had a new customer code that will save you like 10% if you ask, I can’t remember it exactly. Pretty certain they offer veterans discount too may be better?

verysimple

Lil-Rokslider
I had a EE and thought it was under stuffed and over priced. The build quality was good however. Stitching was nicely done. My next one will be a UGQ Bandit XL. Feather Friends make an interesting quilt too.

Ugq gets my vote, my EE was understuffed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I found UGQ to be the a better choice for both price and there temp rating is comfort rating vs EE is not. Meaning 10 degree should be “comfortable” with adequate pad. Honestly I have not tested my bandit to that yet. I believe UGQ is the better choice of the two. They had a new customer code that will save you like 10% if you ask, I can’t remember it exactly. Pretty certain they offer veterans discount too may be better?

I am looking at UGQ for my 1st quilt. The code is NEW10 and it will save you 10%.

I keep tossing back and forth between thier new synergy synthetic fill available in March or going with the 800 down.

Scared to try down as I have never messed with it before and winter here is TX is usually wet and or humid. Makes me want to stick with the proven synthetic that I am used too...

OP
William Hanson (live2hunt)

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the info. I used ee for a few years with no complaints but looking to try something new.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Lando

WKR
I have one of each and the UGQ one has more down for sure. Only thing I would caution with UGQ is to get their newly designed deluxe pad straps that are more like EE's straps. The flat straps work better.

jmb1269

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have experience with the EE, but after researching quilts went with the UGQ Bandit XL last season. ....very impressed. Quality & Comfort are top notch. I recommend getting longer and wider than you need for when it gets colder ...you can easily tuck inside and wrap it around you when pushing low temps. I also recommend the zippered foot box and getting the dynamic tension control.... zippered foot box helps when temps get warm and you want to use as a blanket more than a bag. tension control reduces draft when you run as a traditional style quilt.

I went with 850 fill, 0 deg F, Bandit XL, 65wide x 84long, as much overstuff as i could get in both the footbox & body, draft collar, no taper (awesome for guys that don't like mummys), and lite straps. The only option i didn't do was the extra spend for the 900 fill. ....not enough added value to me for extra cost.

The only negative with using a down quilt is the extra precautions you must take to keep it in good shape.... Single wall shelters create a lot more external condensation so you need to be mindful of conditions and shelter choice. Last comment... with any quilt, run a good pad!

One last thought.... I have ran the quilt close to 50 days +/- (in field + in house) in temps ranging from -8F to 72F.... the only thing I change, is the pad I am using and the layers I wear. Also, when running in a SO shelter where condensation was a problem, I covered it with a kifaru woobie to keep it from getting wet. ....so comfortable I would have slept through the hunt had I not set multiple alarms.

Last edited:

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have experience with the EE, but after researching quilts went with the UGQ Bandit XL last season. ....very impressed. Quality & Comfort are top notch. I recommend getting longer and wider than you need for when it gets colder ...you can easily tuck inside and wrap it around you when pushing low temps. I also recommend the zippered foot box and getting the dynamic tension control.... zippered foot box helps when temps get warm and you want to use as a blanket more than a bag. tension control reduces draft when you run as a traditional style quilt.

I went with 850 fill, 0 deg F, Bandit XL, 65wide x 84long, as much overstuff as i could get in both the footbox & body, draft collar, no taper (awesome for guys that don't like mummys), and lite straps. The only option i didn't do was the extra spend for the 900 fill. ....not enough added value to me for extra cost.

The only negative with using a down quilt is the extra precautions you must take to keep it in good shape.... Single wall shelters create a lot more external condensation so you need to be mindful of conditions and shelter choice. Last comment... with any quilt, run a good pad!

One last thought.... I have ran the quilt close to 50 days +/- (in field + in house) in temps ranging from -8F to 72F.... the only thing I change, is the pad I am using and the layers I wear. Also, when running in a SO shelter where condensation was a problem, I covered it with a kifaru woobie to keep it from getting wet. ....so comfortable I would have slept through the hunt had I not set multiple alarms.
I literally just started a thread a day or so ago wondering what is the formula to figure out how wide to get the quilt and if there is anything as too wide. I even reference the Badit XL. Thanks for the information and reaffirming the other input of "go as wide as possible".

One thought/question? Couldn't you still go with the sewn foot box but just lay it on top of your feet if it is warmer? Or is it so narrow (being sewn) that you just prefer the zipper option. Just curios as I tend to mess zippers up or have them snag.. .

jmb1269

Lil-Rokslider
I literally just started a thread a day or so ago wondering what is the formula to figure out how wide to get the quilt and if there is anything as too wide. I even reference the Badit XL. Thanks for the information and reaffirming the other input of "go as wide as possible".

One thought/question? Couldn't you still go with the sewn foot box but just lay it on top of your feet if it is warmer? Or is it so narrow (being sewn) that you just prefer the zipper option. Just curios as I tend to mess zippers up or have them snag.. .
For the foot box.... you do you! Meaning that you know what you like best. Go with your gut. That being said for me, a zipper was the way to go.
last weekend my little guys and I had a living room campout. When I crawled out of bed in the morning both of them crawled in.... i unzipped the foot box and put one kid on each end of the pad & quilt... #peacekeeper 🤜🤛

mlgc20

WKR
I’ve used both EE and UGC. If forced to chose between these two options, I would go with UGC. However, Ketabatic Gear is better than both IMO. But, more expensive.