Uinta North Slope deer & elk question

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will be out there archery hunting. I have friends who say the South slope is packed with people and then you have a lot more private and Indian land to deal with. They have actually moved to different units because of people. I'm just learning the state and trying to leverage areas that might be a little harder to hunt to get away from the crowds.
There's plenty of country on either side of the slope that haven't seen boot tracks in a very long time. I agree south slope general rifle is plenty of people but South slope also has a more generous elk herd. I've hunted both but if I was learning I'd up the odds and go where more animals live. If filling the freezer was the goal I wouldn't hunt either lol Plenty of cows on those spike only units.

Deer are struggling pretty much everywhere in the state. The best deer habitat boarders the private land on the north slope that's a fact. Good luck to you this season

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
F16pointy

F16pointy

FNG
There's plenty of country on either side of the slope that haven't seen boot tracks in a very long time. I agree south slope general rifle is plenty of people but South slope also has a more generous elk herd. I've hunted both but if I was learning I'd up the odds and go where more animals live. If filling the freezer was the goal I wouldn't hunt either lol Plenty of cows on those spike only units.

Deer are struggling pretty much everywhere in the state. The best deer habitat boarders the private land on the north slope that's a fact. Good luck to you this season

I drew my buck tag in the NS, so that sort of decided where I would go. A buddy is getting up in elk points so we may start hunting the areas he wants to possibly draw for elk. Scout for his future LE tag and fill freezers. This year is sort of my get out of COVID lockdown and see what I can find trip. He wasn't able to hunt this year so I am rolling out on my own.

Good luck and I hope you're successful, or at least learn the area well and are confident for the future!

I agree on comments on both slopes. I actually prefer the N just because I think it's prettier haha

Can I pm you with a couple questions? I'll be in NE UT for archery. I have my spots picked out already lol I've just never been to UT.

New member - just seeing this.

In my experience what others have said is true. During the archery hunts in the Uintas areas with both aspens and dark timber are great places to start.

I've hunted up there very little, but when I've gotten into elk it's been near water or wallows. Luckily, there is no shortage of water in the Uintas.

Any update on how your season went?

Looking for a little help, not spots. Moved to Utah from Alaska last year and this is my first year hunting the state. I have an archery buck and elk tag. I have spent some time up on the North Slope looking for places to hike in from the road. From what I have seen I can either jump on the trails used heavily by the bunny huggers. Or hunt closer to the road and bushwhack it. That being said, I have seen and heard people say "hunt the quakies". I guess my question to the experienced is what type of vegetation are holding elk early in the season? I have found spots with aspen and areas with mostly pine. I will be up there first week of Sep. I appreciate any help anyone is willing to provide. Just need a little help on deciding which of the places I found to start from. Thanks!
Wondering how you did and if you will go back?

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
Wondering how you did and if you will go back?
Remember this if you ever make a post, people like closure and its nice to give back to folks who have you advice. So many people disappear without ever coming back to report.