UL fuel efficient cook system

Choot

FNG
Classified Approved
After reading this page I started poking around and happened to find 3 of the sterno pots at an ace. I hate stuff rattling around so I got a piece of thin toolbox mat to pad under the fuel canister, and then took the pieces I cut from the top and bottom of my coozy and glued them together to slip over the canister. Everything is snug now and eliminated all rattles. Also is there any way to get my hands on one of those carbon or aluminum lids? I can’t seem to find them anywhere
IMG_7397.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
After reading this page I started poking around and happened to find 3 of the sterno pots at an ace. I hate stuff rattling around so I got a piece of thin toolbox mat to pad under the fuel canister, and then took the pieces I cut from the top and bottom of my coozy and glued them together to slip over the canister. Everything is snug now and eliminated all rattles. Also is there any way to get my hands on one of those carbon or aluminum lids? I can’t seem to find them anywhere
View attachment 685305
Any interest in selling me one of those sterno pots?

I ended up cutting the slots in the bottom of my pot a little wider to make it easier to get the pot on and off with my PR deluxe. I also have a BRS which i don't like or use because it seems to take forever to boil in the slightest breeze, so i chopped it up the other day before seeing this thread, so it will fit into the fire maple pot. I used the stove the other day on a shed hunt and there was definitely an improvement with this pot.

You probably didn't compare them directly while you were out shed hunting, but I'd be curious to know if there is much of a difference between the PR deluxe and your modified BRS in breezy conditions... Mostly curious about boil times, not so much if there is 1 or 2 grams of fuel difference between them.

sr80

WKR
You probably didn't compare them directly while you were out shed hunting, but I'd be curious to know if there is much of a difference between the PR deluxe and your modified BRS in breezy conditions... Mostly curious about boil times, not so much if there is 1 or 2 grams of fuel difference between them.
I haven't, but definitely will. Im betting the PR deluxe will still knock it out of the water. I find that BRS pretty slow, specially when there is a light breeze. The BRS gets so many positive reviews and its super cheap, so i ordered one last fall to try out and tried it once hunting and was shocked how long it took, so it been sitting on the shelf ever since. Thats why i had no problem cutting it up to modify it for this pot. Ill report back this weekend with a side by side.

BBob

WKR
Something’s wrong with your BRS (or your setup with it) if it’s as slow as you say. Mine are not appreciably different time to boil than others when using with a HX type pot. Keep in mind though that I’m balancing boil time to fuel usage so I end up somewhere in the range of 3-4 min boil times. As I’ve said many times I’m not running any of the stoves at full burn with these cobbled together systems. If I had to wait like you say you do with the BRS I would have scrapped them.

sr80

WKR
Something’s wrong with your BRS (or your setup with it) if it’s as slow as you say. Mine are not appreciably different time to boil than others when using with a HX type pot. Keep in mind though that I’m balancing boil time to fuel usage so I end up somewhere in the range of 3-4 min boil times. As I’ve said many times I’m not running any of the stoves at full burn with these cobbled together systems. If I had to wait like you say you do with the BRS I would have scrapped them.
think so? I do remember my first time using it outside of the garage that it struggled to boil 500ml of water