UL fuel efficient cook system

This is great!
I used the BRS and Toaks last year and always felt like it was going to slide off the fins. This is only marginally heavier but would mostly lock the pot to the stove and definitely increase efficiency.

Thanks for running all these tests over the years

OP
AK Troutbum
Nice work! Looks like a great setup. Have you done a wind test? It seems like that’s where these types of stoves really suffer and lose fuel efficiency at an extreme amount.

At a certain point what you’re cutting in stove component weight can mean you’re carrying more fuel on longer trips, giving a negative return in the end. I had that issue with the stove peak lite Max stove. I switched to the Soto wind master and now can carry half the fuel in longer 5-10day trips.

Not saying that’s what you’ll experience and I really hope not. But a test in 10-20mph wind with and without a wind screen would be an awesome follow up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pretty much do all my cooking in my shelter, and wind is not a factor. The only time I’ll ever cook outside the shelter is if it’s really nice and I just want to hangout outside, and wind is still a nonissue during these occasions.

SouthPaw

WKR
How much surgery would be required on the Sterno pot to use with the Soto stove? I have the Soto windmaster stove (currently use with a toaks pot) and also have the old JetBoil Flash. I've been considering hacking up the Flash pot fins to fit with the Soto since the efficiency with the toaks sucks, especially in even light breeze. The Sterno is cheap and I'd like to keep the JB untouched for use at fish camp and base camps.

OP
AK Troutbum
How much surgery would be required on the Sterno pot to use with the Soto stove? I have the Soto windmaster stove (currently use with a toaks pot) and also have the old JetBoil Flash. I've been considering hacking up the Flash pot fins to fit with the Soto since the efficiency with the toaks sucks, especially in even light breeze. The Sterno is cheap and I'd like to keep the JB untouched for use at fish camp and base camps.

I think I would be more tempted to try and adjust/bend the feet on the stove before I would start cutting on the pot. The only reason I say this is because I think that it would be easier to do that and have the stove feet go in between the fins of the pot. I don’t have a wind master, so I have no experience with that particular stove, but if that doesn’t seem really feasible, I’m sure you could take a Dremel tool and cut out some slots in the pot itself to accommodate the stove.

Absolutely, but I also do not trust lighters and take weatherproof matches. My Soto is going on 3 years and the igniter works 99% of the time on the first push. It has yet to fail me in temps of -15 - 80*.

JohnB

WKR
Absolutely, but I also do not trust lighters and take weatherproof matches. My Soto is going on 3 years and the igniter works 99% of the time on the first push. It has yet to fail me in temps of -15 - 80*.
Wow, that's way more impressive than my Jetboil which crapped out in a couple months.

AKTB could you do me a favor and measure the width of the Sterno Pot? I'm trying to figure out which Jetboil coozy would work best?

Thanks for making me spend more of my money.

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
awesome, i love threads like this. i have been very happy with my Evernew titanium pot. it is the small version (600ml) and only comes in at 3.7oz. I also use the BRS-3000 with it..

i have been able to boil 400ml very consistently at the 2:00 minute mark, enough for hot beverage and peak refuel meal. Typically cook in tent where there is no wind, or use my z seat to shield the stove in "not-ideal"
cooking situations.

OP
AK Troutbum
Since the Soto has an igniter, you can subtract the weight of an additional lighter.

Absolutely, but like I said in the last paragraph on post #16, I always carry a lighter anyway (in my 1st aide kit), and with a mini Bic only weighing a few grams it doesn’t offset the wt. of the Soto stove, which is exactly 3 times the wt. of the BRS stove.
659a277c1a0321e64fd645c3ee23fafe.jpg

OP
AK Troutbum
Wow, that's way more impressive than my Jetboil which crapped out in a couple months.

AKTB could you do me a favor and measure the width of the Sterno Pot? I'm trying to figure out which Jetboil coozy would work best?

Thanks for making me spend more of my money.

The Sterno pot is about 4 1/16” in diameter. I ended up hemming the side of the sleeve, so it would fit tighter around the pot. It fits nice and snug now but I’m not so sure that I trust it with lifting it from the handle and having a full pot of boiling water in it.
7539ac7b273eeee3651ad281c1e943c0.jpg

576b78544147a13b9254c99c6facef64.jpg

With 16 oz. of cold water. The sleeve gets even more distorted when the water is boiling hot.
c43a3e0169d65e8d3c323792637adf32.jpg

OP
AK Troutbum
awesome, i love threads like this. i have been very happy with my Evernew titanium pot. it is the small version (600ml) and only comes in at 3.7oz. I also use the BRS-3000 with it..

i have been able to boil 400ml very consistently at the 2:00 minute mark, enough for hot beverage and peak refuel meal. Typically cook in tent where there is no wind, or use my z seat to shield the stove in "not-ideal"
cooking situations.

You should check out this Sterno pot. It’s .2 oz. lighter than the Toaks, and guaranteed to be way more efficient with the way the bottom is designed. If you bend the feet on your BRS stove, you can make them fit in between the fins of the pot, and it is also much more stable than just having a pot sitting on top of the feet.

sneaky

"DADDY"
IDK, but there’s probably no reason to do that since Sterno makes pretty much the exact same pot in the 16 ounce version. RL doesn’t make the carbon fiber lids anymore.

Of course there's a reason, I've got one sitting here and it's the offseason!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
AK Troutbum
Of course there's a reason, I've got one sitting here and it's the offseason!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I say do it! I’d be interested to see your results. Being that the pot has a bigger diameter/more surface area on the stove, the efficiency might even be better.

OP
AK Troutbum
@AK Troutbum
Is this the same Sterno Inferno pot? Did you dislike the little handles? View attachment 274472

Yeah that’s it.

Sterno Stove Kit, One Size, Multicolor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0169ZDUOM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_G7A3H6K6P6XZ5N45P8NA

I took the handles of to get it as light as possible, and since I knew that I’d be using a JB sleeve with it that has a built in handle, I didn’t figure I’d need the heavier ones on the pot. In retrospect, I don’t know if I’d do that again because the fabric handle on the JB sleeve is pretty flimsy, especially when it’s full of boiling water.

Wt. savings
e11e5edd5fda7d84fdd0c5852980d8d7.jpg

rayporter

WKR
i have used the neoprene from wader gaiters to cover metal cups and pots for insulation. i have even cooked in the pot a couple times, but dont know if they will hold up wo a butane stove long term.
just an option to try as the velcro make it easy to put on.

great thread with lots of info and ideas.

1616006770862.png

OP
AK Troutbum
i have used the neoprene from wader gaiters to cover metal cups and pots for insulation. i have even cooked in the pot a couple times, but dont know if they will hold up wo a butane stove long term.
just an option to try as the velcro make it easy to put on.

great thread with lots of info and ideas.

View attachment 274484

Great idea Ray, I wonder what one of those weighs?

The lid that came with the Sterno pot is definitely a better fit than the JB lid, but at almost 2 oz., it’s just too heavy for the purpose it serves.
6ba17a5363c307e863d29bbbafd8390b.jpg