UL fuel efficient cook system

fshaw

WKR
Just found this thread, thanks for all the work done. Looks like the Sterno pots are becoming like hen’s teeth.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Sterno Inferno pots seem to be gone. None on Ebay, Amazon, Sterno website, or Google Shopping.
Bummer.
If anyone has one they want to get rid of, I'd like to try this system.

BBob

WKR
Sterno Inferno pots seem to be gone. None on Ebay, Amazon, Sterno website, or Google Shopping.
Bummer.
If anyone has one they want to get rid of, I'd like to try this system.
Baffling as to why they disappeared. Mine has become my main pot for my needs. With BRS stove run on low ish heat is 2C, 3.5-4 min boil, 3.5g fuel used in at home conditions. Practical average outdoor use it's about 10-20% more fuel consumption depending on conditions. Not much difference in those numbers for the Windmaster. Windmaster does do better in wind but it is ~3x the bulk and weight.

Hopefully they'll become available again for the rest of you that want to try one. I suppose you could buy a spare Jetboil 1L and cut it down like one of the posters did.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Baffling as to why they disappeared. Mine has become my main pot for my needs. With BRS stove run on low ish heat is 2C, 3.5-4 min boil, 3.5g fuel used in at home conditions. Practical average outdoor use it's about 10-20% more fuel consumption depending on conditions. Not much difference in those numbers for the Windmaster. Windmaster does do better in wind but it is ~3x the bulk and weight.

Hopefully they'll become available again for the rest of you that want to try one. I suppose you could buy a spare Jetboil 1L and cut it down like one of the posters did.

I'm sitting here with a Jetboil 1L pot right now, deciding if it's a "spare" or not ;). In order to cut this I think I need to find a friend with a cutting setup than my "old hacksaw and no vice".

I signed up for notifications on availability for the Sterno Inferno pot from a few retailers.

zeroed

FNG
Great thread. I’m going to make one of these if I can find that Sterno Inferno. None on Amazon, or on Ace Hardware’s website.

BBob

WKR

Felton

WKR
I would pay ya to grab me one! Been to about 8 different ace hardwares, I cannot find one!
If there was more there I’d grab one for you. That was the one and only, I checked a couple other local ace hardwares to see if any of them had one with no such luck.

My next pick would be the Jetboil stash. Dvor has them every so often for ~$90

Last edited:

SanJuanCutthroat

Lil-Rokslider
Inspired by the original concept, here's an alternative to consider. Definitely more expensive and slightly heavier, but works amazingly well and you don't have to burn gas going to all the regional Ace Hardwares.

Jetboil stash pot + mini mo cozy + Soto Windmaster w/ 3 prong support. 8oz total.

You can call Jetboil and order the individual pieces. The cozy fits without a mod, just don't use it on a Coleman burner like I made the mistake of doing. I trimmed the Soto 3 prong stove rest to get it to fit inside the baffles on the stash pot. Once you do that it's rock solid, super efficient, and bomber in the wind.

I already had the Soto stove, but I'm sure you could make it work with the BRS stove. Personally, I do like the piezo ignitor, regulator and wind performance of the Soto. You also get a little more volume in the stash pot vs the sterno.

Attachments

• IMG-4126.JPG
    IMG-4126.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG-4124.JPG
    IMG-4124.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG-4127.JPG
    IMG-4127.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 84
Inspired by the original concept, here's an alternative to consider. Definitely more expensive and slightly heavier, but works amazingly well and you don't have to burn gas going to all the regional Ace Hardwares.

Jetboil stash pot + mini mo cozy + Soto Windmaster w/ 3 prong support. 8oz total.

You can call Jetboil and order the individual pieces. The cozy fits without a mod, just don't use it on a Coleman burner like I made the mistake of doing. I trimmed the Soto 3 prong stove rest to get it to fit inside the baffles on the stash pot. Once you do that it's rock solid, super efficient, and bomber in the wind.

I already had the Soto stove, but I'm sure you could make it work with the BRS stove. Personally, I do like the piezo ignitor, regulator and wind performance of the Soto. You also get a little more volume in the stash pot vs the sterno.

What was the cost getting just the stash pot and cozy directly from jerboil?

What was the cost getting just the stash pot and cozy directly from jerboil?
I went this route last year- the a la carte method- to use my Mini Mo burner on a 0.8L pot from JB.

The lid will run you $6.
The cozy was $10, I believe.
The pot was ~$50.

The lid was awful.

…however, a Planters peanut lid will fit perfectly on top, weighs a fair amount less, and marries perfectly to the cup! IMG_7943.jpeg

Good luck on those Sterno's. I luckily found one for a buddy last year. I kept looking for more and they're gone. Better luck on something like a 1L Fire Maple off Aliexpress or something similar. We chopped a FM 1L down a bit to shorten and lighten it up. FM 1L can be found for less than $25 on Aliexpress.

What does the 1L fire maple end up weighing with the cozy after chopping it?

chasewild

WKR
I went this route last year- the a la carte method- to use my Mini Mo burner on a 0.8L pot from JB.

The lid will run you $6.
The cozy was $10, I believe.
The pot was ~$50.

The lid was awful.

…however, a Planters peanut lid will fit perfectly on top, weighs a fair amount less, and marries perfectly to the cup! View attachment 627870

Great tip on the lid!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

il_cop

FNG
+1 on the BRS. Used it this year on a backpack hunt and was very impressed. I paired it with a snow peak titanium pot. Came in at 13 oz with a small fuel canister, jetboil stand, and lighter.