UL fuel efficient cook system

Clarktar

WKR
Greg, you might remember this URL from the silicone lid group buy. Scroll down, they also sell silicone sleeves. Another option instead of finding a Jetboil sleeve, or ordering some neoprene stock material.

Wish they would list the weights. I need to go weight that silicone lid and see if it will fit on the Sterno pot.

You could also make a lid out of Ti-Foil (pricey to buy, but if you have some laying around from past projects..)

OP
AK Troutbum
Greg, you might remember this URL from the silicone lid group buy. Scroll down, they also sell silicone sleeves. Another option instead of finding a Jetboil sleeve, or ordering some neoprene stock material.

Wish they would list the weights. I need to go weight that silicone lid and see if it will fit on the Sterno pot.

You could also make a lid out of Ti-Foil (pricey to buy, but if you have some laying around from past projects..)

I actually got in on that group buy, but the lids we bought are just a bit too small for the Sterno pot.
I might try and make something up if I have the time, but that JB lid is pretty light wt., it just doesn’t fit great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarktar

WKR
I actually got in on that group buy, but the lids we bought are just a bit too small for the Sterno pot.
I might try and make something up if I have the time, but that JB lid is pretty light wt., it just doesn’t fit great.

Yea, I got a few of those lids. Too bad they don't fit. Maybe I will look at other sizes, But I do have some TI foil laying around.

oenanthe

WKR
And at that rate, you're still way ahead on fuel savings, rather than screwing on/off every time. I've never tried to test how much fuel I lose when taking the stove on and off because I know it varies. Sometimes things seem to go together pretty smooth/quick and I barely get a hiss out of it, and other times not so good. I think I'm better off just leaving it attached and make sure that it is adequately protected in the pack.
I don't think it's about fuel savings. Seriously, how much fuel do you think you lose with a little pffffft twice a day?

As you note, it's important that it's adequately protected in the pack. With my setup for solo trips (BRS-3000 and a greasepot), the canister with stove attached won't fit in the pot. No way am I leaving the canister attached; it's too inconvenient.

If you carry a stove attached to a canister, you are bypassing the Lindahl valve on the canister and relying 100% on the valve on your stove and its ability to stay closed and not leak. Which is not necessarily what the stove valve was designed for.

Whereas if you detach the stove, you are relying on the canister's Lindahl valve to not leak. Sure, its not perfect, but the canister valves are ridiculously overengineered in order to meet safety standards. I trust the Lindahl valve on the canister a lot more than I trust the valve on my $10 BRS stove. Or even my $50 Snow Peak.

That said, if I could fit my stove/canister in my cookpot I would probably leave them connected. But that would imply a very tall cookpot, which in my experience is inefficient. I just checked - the BRS-3000 on an 8-oz. canister is right at 5" overall height. If your cookpot is that tall, it's likely much less efficient than a shallower cookpot. Or it's a big-ass cookpot! Damn we're getting down in the weed here. :)

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
Where the heck do you find an extra jetboil lid and neoprene sleeve?
Just FYI, replacement lids are on the Jetboil website for $5.95. I may try to make a Ti lid if I can come up with a piece of foil.

Thanks for posting this AK! I love tuning up gear like this in the offseason.

BBob

WKR
Titanium foil. I’ve used the Toaks windscreen and cut it up for other uses. Amazon has other Ti foil available. I’ve also used thin 303 Stainless foil for many uses from McMaster.

Attachments

• C78FFD59-C0FB-4AE8-8835-14A6304E88B7.jpeg
    C78FFD59-C0FB-4AE8-8835-14A6304E88B7.jpeg
    556 KB · Views: 51

Clarktar

WKR
I wonder about just a piece of corrugated cardboard cut to fit as a lid, then wrapped in a few layers of aluminum foil?

Almost bear season.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
AK Troutbum
I don't think it's about fuel savings. Seriously, how much fuel do you think you lose with a little pffffft twice a day?

Occasionally the fuel loss is probably pretty insignificant, but occasionally it’s not so much. Hypothetically, if there’s an average of 0.5 gr. lost with each time it’s taken on/off, and your doing that twice a day, over the course of a 10 day hunt you’ll loose about 20gr. That is not so insignificant if you’re trying to get 10 days out of a small, 100gr. canister.
If I can get 16oz. of water to boil, using only 3gr. of fuel (although it’ll probably be pretty difficult to replicate those indoor results, when I’m in the field), that 20gr. equates to almost 7 boils/meals.

OP
AK Troutbum
Just curious... do you take a backup stove on those long, remote hunts?
I usually bring a spare stove and just leave it at base camp. I've never taken two stoves into the mountains because I figure that since I'm usually no more than a days hike from base camp, if something were to happen to my stove, I could always just rough it for a day or so. As a side note, I've been using the same cheap BRS 3000 now for several years and I've never had a problem with it.

BBob

WKR
I usually bring a spare stove and just leave it at base camp. I've never taken two stoves into the mountains because I figure that since I'm usually no more than a days hike from base camp, if something were to happen to my stove, I could always just rough it for a day or so. As a side note, I've been using the same cheap BRS 3000 now for several years and I've never had a problem with it.
Same here, I've always had a backup at the truck but have never needed it. The other reason I have the backup in the truck is if I run out to to resupply I can have hot coffee or a meal while there.

Wingert

FNG
Maybe JetBoil was reading the thread you started AK Troutbum.......... ;)

The new JB appears to be more expensive than where you landed.

OP
AK Troutbum
Maybe JetBoil was reading the thread you started AK Troutbum.......... ;)

The new JB appears to be more expensive than where you landed.
Yeah, they came out with the Stash a bit before I started my little project, but it's about 3x as much $$ and almost twice as heavy. I also don't think that it's quite as efficient, since they don't include an insulating sleeve with the Stash. There's another thread on here that's just about the Stash and another member commented yesterday that he had bought one, but ended up sending it back because the actual wt. was 7.7 oz. without the lid.

Last edited:

Jbehredt

WKR
Thanks for the ideas @ AK Troutbum. Last season I was saying that my Olicamp/Soto would be ideal if it wasn’t twice as big as it needed to be. The sterno pot might be the answer. Have one coming!

Drenalin

WKR
@AK Troutbum Have you tried the plastic lid off a can of nuts on that Sterno pot? I remember reading something on BPL about folks replacing their JB lids with those. Seems like that would be thin enough to be slightly lighter weight and pliable enough to work over the lip of the pot and hold on tight.

Thanks for posting this...I'm liking the idea of this Sterno pot, just hate to give any weight back over the Toaks I've been using with my BRS.

@AK Troutbum Have you tried the plastic lid off a can of nuts on that Sterno pot? I remember reading something on BPL about folks replacing their JB lids with those. Seems like that would be thin enough to be slightly lighter weight and pliable enough to work over the lip of the pot and hold on tight.

Thanks for posting this...I'm liking the idea of this Sterno pot, just hate to give any weight back over the Toaks I've been using with my BRS.
I used a plastic lid off some other container that fit my pot.
It was lightweight and worked. I punctured holes in it to release pressure/steam. The edges of the lid slightly melted/deformed however so not a great solution.

OP
AK Troutbum

I’m going to try and fabricate a lid out of carbon fiber. I bought a little piece for $10, so I’ll see how that works out.

Clarktar

WKR
I’m going to try and fabricate a lid out of carbon fiber. I bought a little piece for $10, so I’ll see how that works out.

Now we are talking! I'm still digging through moving boxes looking for my Titanium foil!