UL Stoves

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yeah you could set it up to run a pocket rocket as well. I like to SOTO much better than the pocket rocket though. Comes with a handy little igniter even though they aren't totally needed they are handier than lighting with a Bic when the pot is already on there, while still being lighter and I think they are more fuel efficient as well. Just need to cut your notches in teh bottom of the jetboil cup at 120 degrees apart if a three prong pot support stove like SOTO or pocket rocket. If for then obviously it'd be 90 degrees and so on.

I bought a Primus Eta Solo. I did have an issue with it igniting twice, at 10K feet. I contacted them and they sent me a FREE replacement without requesting the old one in return. It is like a Jetboil but has the simmer option and you can also use it with any pot, unlike the Jetboil. It also has a suspension cable that is available for the Jetboil as an accessory, purchased separately. I also carry a cup (like a canteen cup) for my Nalgene bottles. It nests on the outside. I did take the liberty to drill two holes in it to facilitate the use of a bail wire. I can suspend it over a fire. Nalgene now has stainless steel 1L canteens that are single-wall that you can remove the lid and place directly in the fire, eliminating the need to burn up your fuel.

http://www.amazon.com/Bottle-Cup-Gls-Stainless-Steel/dp/B003LDKNZ0

http://www.twowolvesoutdoor.com/guyotstandard.htm

I'm a minority here, but I'm looking at a Caldera Cone burning Esbit tablets... Really lightweight option and I've got nothing but time past hunting light

aggieland

WKR
I have the jetboil, but their seems to be lots of good ideas on this thread. Keep the pics and ideas coming guys..
Also I have had problems getting my Jetboil to lite. It seems like I had to turn the gas up really high to get the thing going..

FWilliams

FNG
I too have the jetboil, I read these kind of threads and always think I am missing out ...I run out and get the latest and greatest thing talked about, luckily I never get rid of the jetboil, as it always seems to find its way back into the lineup in my pack.......I will look around once again if it quits working.

I just started using the Mini Pocket Rocket, but normally used the Pocket Rocket in the past.
With the Pocket Rocket I can get 10 days at 2 boils a day per 100gm canister of Jetpower with a tinfoil windscreen. All testing with the Mini Pocket Rocket indicates I should be able to replicate the same performance.

cmeier117; I can't seem to find it right now, but there was a gentleman a while back who gave instructions and pictures on how to adapt the Pocket Rocket to use a heat exchanger and the Jet Boil cup. I want to say it was on backpackinglight.com, but I can't seem to find it.

Sawtooth

FNG
For hunting: MSR Pocket Rocket for quick stuff (breakfast), Kifaru wood stove if I'm not in a hurry (evening).

For spring and summer backpacking/fly fishing: MSR Pocket Rocket or Emberlit UL.

For winter backcountry ski camping: MSR Whisperlite Internationale and Kifaru wood stove. Weight doesn't matter when you're hauling a pulk.

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Whisperlite Internationale as well, but I have also made a white box type alcohol stove out of a venom energy drink can. No moving parts, and super light.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Soto.....burning here at 12000ish.

Attachments

• 284172_734751337121_185004842_37102254_3074226_n.jpg
    284172_734751337121_185004842_37102254_3074226_n.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 95

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Posted this up two years ago over on backpackinglight.com but figured I'd share how I put my UL stove together and some results:

So finally got around to getting my jetboil stove cut down and the notches cut in the bottom for the 3 pot supports of my new SOTO stove. The idea is that while the Jetboil stoves themselves are heavy compared to other canister stoves (they weight 7 oz) the jetboil fluxring I feel does make for improvments in boil times. So I figured why not combine an ultra-efficient canister stove (SOTO at 2.6 oz) with an efficient pot (jetboil pot).

Decided to have my jetboil pot cut down at work as we have unlimited metal working tools to work with after hours and a guy there loves to do little projects like that and made look much better than the frankenstien I no doubt would have created. Heck he put a like OEM bevel back on the pot after he cut it down so the original lid fits on there once again. The new jetboilette is only 4" deep vs. the standard jetboil pot being 5.75" deep.

Here is a pic of the two side by side of just the pot themselves:
SANY0646.jpg

Anyways now back at home I decided to do a few weight comparisons.

My naked jetboilette without/cozy/lid/or bottom cup comes to 4.4 oz. The orignal stripped the same way comes to 6.0 oz. The bottom cup weighs 1 oz even compared to the 1.3 oz lid. .3 oz isn't much so I'm sticking with the tighter fitting and more functional lid over using the bottom cup as a lid.

I also had my wife remove the handle and cut the cozy to fit my jetboilette.

So the total weight difference.

The jetboilette with 110 gram snowpeak fuel canister brand new, plus the soto stove, and the sippy lid comes to 15.6 oz.

The standard jetboil cup with the standard jetboil stove with the same fuel canister comes to 20.6 oz or a 5 oz weight savings overall.

Here is the two being weighed in. The new bevel actual holds the lid on a little tighter even than the original bevel.

Jetboilette all packed up with 7 oz 100 gram fuel canister:
SANY0648.jpg

Orginal packed up with 7 oz 100 gram fuel canister :
SANY0647.jpg

The Soto stove installed on a fuel canister is taller than a jetboil stove is but since the jetboilette is shorter the overall height of the smaller jetboil setup is slightly shorter. The notches cut out for the pot supports make the jetboil pot VERY secure (compared to your standard pot on these supports obviously not as secure as a jetboil locked into a jetboil stove). Though I still do have the option if desired to lock the original jetboil stove into the jetboilette.

SANY0649.jpg

Now for the disclaimer:

The follow tests were conducted by a person with absolutely ZERO scientific background and realizes that these test will more than likely be scrutinized heavily due to one or many factors that would render these tests of little to any actual real world meaning.

All tests were done at room temperature with 500 mL (the fill to line) room temperature water.

Room temperature fuel canisters boil times:

Jetboil with jetboil stove:

2 minutes 5 seconds.

Jetboilette with Soto stove:

1 minute 35 second.

Last night I put two full fuel canisters in my freezer that was set at -10F.

I quickly took the first out and screwed on the jetboil/jetboil setup and it boiled the 500 ML of water in 3:45 seconds.

After that I took the 2nd freezer canister and screwed it onto the SOTO stove and fired it up. It boiled the 500 mL of water in 1 minute and 50 seconds.

So the coldest canister did have some apparent affect on the SOTO's performance but not much from what I can tell. Where the jetboil/jetboil was nearly twice as long to get a boil and the flame was noticably smaller and quieter than the Soto with the cold fuel bottle where I couldn't notice or hear a difference between the room temp and the cold fuel bottle.

Overall I'm VERY happy with my findings so far as my new setup that is both 25% smaller and 25% lighter and boil times are twice as fast in colder climates. I think this could be one of the most fuel efficient canister stove combos out there right now.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The cup was cut down to an inch above the "Do Not Fill Past" line. So you still boil the same amount of water (if you were following the JB directions but who does that right? :) ) just in a smaller/lighter package.

bowinhand

WKR
I also use the Soto OD-1R stove or as I like to call it the Soto blow torch. The Soto along with the GSI pinnacle soloist, with the pinnacle I can fit the bigger fuel can. If the GSI were made of titanium it would be lighter but it works really well for me.

Elevations from 9000-11550ft.

I had the jet boil pcs and the ignighter wouldn't work above 9500ft for me seemed I was always "flick'n my bick" to light the darn thing and the fuel usage seemed pretty high also.

Last edited: