UL Stoves

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
Snow Peak Gigapower works well not sure how it compares to the others.

Last edited:

Lukem

WKR
Super Cat burning denatured alcohol for me. Have to carry a little more fuel since DNA is a little less efficient than other fuels, but the stove weighs less than 1/4 of an ounce.

B

bearguide

i like my pocket rocket, but wind is a problem/we used msr reactor in goat camp last year and it really performed in high wind conditions, but it is over a pound

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Wow Luke that's a sweet setup. Looks like you had a Jetboil SOL before JetBoil built it. Is your Jetbiolette cup smaller than the SOL cup?

Haha my hunting buddy is convinced jetboil copied my idea :) doubt that but I like it a lot. Yes the jetboilette is slightly smaller than the SOL.

7mag.

WKR
3 pages and no one is using what I use. Wonder if I'm missing out. I use a Brunton Raptor. Very compact and light. Ignitor works first time, every time, so far. Seems to do ok on fuel too. Doesn't lock into my cup like all you fancy Jetboil guys, but so far, I like it. Any body ever tried one of these? Am I using something that should be replaced?

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
I used the MSR superfly for quite a few years. Good stove at the time. A little bulky. Last Spring I purchased the SnowPeak Litemax stove. It folds down flat and weighs 1.9 ounces. Good output and easily stored. Too early to comment on durability but I like it so far.
http://www.snowpeak.com/stoves/backpacking/litemax-titanium-stove-gst-120.html

Trout bum,
Great minds think alike. Have used and still own most stoves mentioned on this thread. The SP Lite-Max has easily become my favorite. Very efficient and very much "ROK" solid.

WW, heck of a set up! I even thought about a wood burning stove but those high country thunderstorms might put a damper on that. Did it mention in there how much that weighs? This could give me something to do til turkey season... :)

Tyler

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The past few years I have used the JetBoil PCS.........but being a "weight weenie", as Aron would say, this last year I decided to try the new JetBoil SOL TI. Swung by REI on the way to the hills and used it on a weekend scouting trip. I was really disappointed with the inconsistency of the auto ignitor actually igniting the flame, especially since my older PCS lights the first click - every time!. Thinking I bought a lemon, I returned it to REI and exchanged it for another SOL TI.....same issue! Although the ignitor can be annoying, I am willing to put up with it for smaller size and 6 ounce reduction in my pack.

Try bending the igniter contact wire. I've had to bend them closer or farther from the point it sparks to so they'll spark every time.

Anyone have one of the jetfoil titaniums..Sol ti? Is there a big advantage
Over the Sol?

Last edited:
i run a kovea camp 5 stove. i like it because its much lighter than anything comparable and will burn well even when it gets COLD. i use it with a gsi dualist.

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
Snowpeak Giga with the 900ml pot - I made a windscreen out of aluminum flashing material and can pack the windscreen 110gr fuel canister, stove/lighter/spork inside the pot.

ozyclint

WKR
Now for the disclaimer:

The follow tests were conducted by a person with absolutely ZERO scientific background and realizes that these test will more than likely be scrutinized heavily due to one or many factors that would render these tests of little to any actual real world meaning.

All tests were done at room temperature with 500 mL (the fill to line) room temperature water.

Room temperature fuel canisters boil times:

Jetboil with jetboil stove:

2 minutes 5 seconds.

Jetboilette with Soto stove:

1 minute 35 second.

Last night I put two full fuel canisters in my freezer that was set at -10F.

I quickly took the first out and screwed on the jetboil/jetboil setup and it boiled the 500 ML of water in 3:45 seconds.

After that I took the 2nd freezer canister and screwed it onto the SOTO stove and fired it up. It boiled the 500 mL of water in 1 minute and 50 seconds.

So the coldest canister did have some apparent affect on the SOTO's performance but not much from what I can tell. Where the jetboil/jetboil was nearly twice as long to get a boil and the flame was noticably smaller and quieter than the Soto with the cold fuel bottle where I couldn't notice or hear a difference between the room temp and the cold fuel bottle.

Overall I'm VERY happy with my findings so far as my new setup that is both 25% smaller and 25% lighter and boil times are twice as fast in colder climates. I think this could be one of the most fuel efficient canister stove combos out there right now.

luke- did you weigh the canisters before and after the test to measure fuel consumption? your setup has me interested as i have a kovea titanium stove to work with. however, your reduced boil times may be a result of more fuel consumption in which case it may not be as efficient. not trying to knock your idea, i think it's great, just a thought i'd mention this incase you overlooked it.

any chance you can conduct the test again with measured gas consumption? that would be a great indication as to how efficient your system is.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I did not weigh them, should have but didn't. However the wife and I shared a 100 mL gas canister with 3 boils per person per day for 6 days (36 boils total) which is more than I got on the tandrd JetBoil setup.