UL Tent for 2 Men

1signguy

WKR
No...happened at a boys camp when I was a kid. Musta been warming itself at dawn. Never rattled, was invisible in the pine needles, never saw it until the second (missed) strike. Very dry strike luckily for me. Left a scar on my leg and psyche though.

That might convince me to have a nest or other barrier... Sorry about that!

Closest I have come to a bite is the three dogs we have had bite by rattlers (one was bite two separate times) but those all happened at the CA ranch. One was this past Spring. Oh- that rattlesnake avoidance is crap IMO. Thinking we have a den somewhere on the property and if I find it I will dump five gallons of diesel in there and shoot the &%^&^ as they crawl out...

Back on topic- In CO high country I would not hesitate to go floorless. I have a Kifaru Sawtooth on the way for two high country hunts this Fall.

OP
J

jeg9792

Lil-Rokslider
Well I went with the stratospire 2. Unless they shipped me the wrong size, there's no way in hell two full grown men can sleep in this tent. It was very cozy with myself and my girlfriend who is about 120 pounds. For one person and some gear it would be ok. I'll be trying to send it back to Tarptent unfortunately I seam sealed it before I unzipped it and saw how small the inside was. Hope they still take it back

How close are you to your hunting partner?
Most 2 man tents will keep things awful cozy. Is he/she going to split weight? One could carry fly and stakes and the rest for the other.

Not to say we told you but the "men" for tent sizes must be Chinese gymnasts.
Hope you are able to send it back

LaGriz

WKR
mntrunner260,

I agree with you on the tent sizes being out of wack for the real world. The old joke is that a 6-man might sleep 4, while a 4 Man may be tight for 3 guys. While a 3-man barley has room for 2, a 2 man tent is often a solo shelter. Now when it comes to a one-man tent....do you actually loose some space? LOL! I think this is why many guys who hunt solo like a super tarp, mega tarp, or a DST. They require some thought and practice to pitch them well, but are so versatile, and a palace for the solo hunter.

LaGriz

I got a Rainshadow 2 last year. It can hold 2 guys and gear pretty well. My nephew and I used it on a hunt last fall and we fit our packs between us.

If they don take it back I may be interested in a trade. Let me know.

Last edited:

BRWNBR

WKR
Whatever. Been bit once, that was enough. Still keeping my nest. Small weight penalty.

[video=youtube;avtZJKydB-E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avtZJKydB-E[/video]
That. Is. Messed. Up. No. Thank. You.

That's exactly what they make a sawed off 12ga with number 8'shot for.

Mountain hardware ghost UL 3(3lbs), I use it 3x more then my tut. Both are great, just fit different methodologies

It's says 3person I'd call it a legitimate 2 person (floor area is 39 sq ft )

The two person is 2lbs but only 27 sq feet.

Akicita

WKR
MSR FreeLite 2 Tent - A great 3 season lightweight tent that comes in about 2.5 pounds. My experience with this tent has been a good one.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mountain hardware ghost UL 3(3lbs), I use it 3x more then my tut. Both are great, just fit different methodologies

It's says 3person I'd call it a legitimate 2 person (floor area is 39 sq ft )

The two person is 2lbs but only 27 sq feet.

I use the same tent on outings with my wife; plenty of room, two entrances (exits), two vestibules

I've used this shelter in some very miserable conditions; high winds, heavy rains- have even used it winter camping a few times

solid shelter