UL Trekking poles that can be used for Tarp set-up. Any suggestions?

I’m looking for new UL trekking poles that will be light, strong, and capable of being used with the SG SkyAir ULT Tarp set up.

Id rather buy once cry once than worry if a warranty will cover broken equipment or not.
Any suggestions or experience with using with. Tarp tent is appreciated.

Thanks!

My personal feeling is that there’s really no reason to spend a lot of $$ on a pair of trekking poles. I have probably a half dozen pairs, ranging from $29 Cascade Mountain Techs to $150+ Black Diamond, Leki, and Locus Gear. They’re all pretty much made the same way (carbon fiber and flick lock), and none are made on this side of the planet, if you know what I mean. The BD’s are the heaviest at around 18 oz. and the LG are the lightest at about 11 oz. the only ones that I ever tried to get warranty repair work done on were the BD’s, and since they were over a year old, Black Diamond wouldn’t cover them. One of the middle sections broke and they charged me $40 to replace it, and it took about 4 months to get the replacement section (this was way before Covid, so no excuses there). I went ahead and replaced it but I’ll never purchase another Black Diamond product again. Save yourself the money and headache and just buy the CMT‘s at Costco. If you’re worried about something happening to them and being out a pair of poles, then just buy two pairs and you’ll still have money to spend on more important gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Don’t buy Z poles.

I’ve been using the Peak “Sissy Stix” which are blended aluminum and carbon with Burly locks. Not the lightest on the market, but the most secure locks and you are unlikely to break them. About $100.

OP
CamSolo433
Don’t buy Z poles.

I’ve been using the Peak “Sissy Stix” which are blended aluminum and carbon with Burly locks. Not the lightest on the market, but the most secure locks and you are unlikely to break them. About $100.
I was looking at the Sissy Stix Elite. They
My personal feeling is that there’s really no reason to spend a lot of $$ on a pair of trekking poles. I have probably a half dozen pairs, ranging from $29 Cascade Mountain Techs to $150+ Black Diamond, Leki, and Locus Gear. They’re all pretty much made the same way (carbon fiber and flick lock), and none are made on this side of the planet, if you know what I mean. The BD’s are the heaviest at around 18 oz. and the LG are the lightest at about 11 oz. the only ones that I ever tried to get warranty repair work done on were the BD’s, and since they were over a year old, Black Diamond wouldn’t cover them. One of the middle sections broke and they charged me $40 to replace it, and it took about 4 months to get the replacement section (this was way before Covid, so no excuses there). I went ahead and replaced it but I’ll never purchase another Black Diamond product again. Save yourself the money and headache and just buy the CMT‘s at Costco. If you’re worried about something happening to them and being out a pair of poles, then just buy two pairs and you’ll still have money to spend on more important gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The CMT are on my list. The 3k are $55 shipped on their website with the coupon code. I’m thinking of trying them out.

The Black Diamonds weren’t high on my
List as I saw another member had warranty issues because they used it with their tent and Black Diamond denied warranty.

Matt G.

WKR
So I have cascade mountain ones and yes they are light and sturdy. However they do have an annoying rattle in them. I think it is the excess tubing vibrating inside the other tubing. Do the other brands have this as well.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

OP
CamSolo433
Don’t buy Z poles.

I was looking at the Sissy Stix Elite. They looked nice, but are OOS on their website.

Drenalin

WKR
These are only $65 from CMT's website, and I've got the weight at 10.2 ounces for the pair without any wrist straps or rubber boots. With those, the poles are 12 ounces for the pair. I've been beating the piss out of mine for a few weeks, and am liking them a lot. The only downside so far is the packed length - it's 31 inches. Mine rattled once, but tightening the flick lock a little solved it.

4rcgoat

WKR
Been using a pair of aluminum black diamonds with my Tarptent ss1. Paid around 100 dollars, cut off the wrist straps and they come in at 1pound and collapse down to 24".

I bought the CNOC carbon cork trekking poles even though they are expensive for two reasons. 1) they are the only trekking poles made in the USA I could find and 2) they expand up to 62” which is great for trekking pole shelters. Collapses down to 28”.

Mtnboy

WKR
I like my S&S Archery ones, very light, very sturdy, money goes to a hunting company.

However, like tons of stuff in Covid times they are currently out of stock...