Ulmer edge broadhead

Jordan guyer

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone had any penetration issues with these broadheads? I just lost an elk shot looked good, but when the bull took off I could see just about the whole arrow sticking out I maybe got 3 inches of penetration. I'm shooting an elite 35 energy 68 pounds with 29 inch draw

RCR

Lil-Rokslider
I killed a cow this season at 35 yards. It was a high chest shot with a complete pass through. I never found the arrow. Mathews Helim at 60 lbs., 100 gr head. I've killed a couple deer with similar results.

kodiakfly

WKR
Three inches sounds like you hit something. Even the worst broadhead in the world should penetrate further than that with the specs you listed unless you're shooting a super light arrow or something happened along the way (like you hit a branch or something to shock energy out of the arrow.

OP
J

Jordan guyer

Lil-Rokslider
My arrow is a gold tip Kaos weighing in at 422 the shot looked good but maybe I clipped the shoulder it all happened really fast

I've shot cow elk the last 2 years with the Ulmer edge with no issues. Last year was a 50 yard shot and hit right on the humerous bone in the shoulder, shattered the bone and cut the top of the heart off and stuck in the far shoulder, she went about 60 yards and piled up. This year I shot a cow at 58 yards and got both lungs. The broad head worked well and appeared to pivot around the rib bones on both sides and went another 15 yards and stuck in the ground. These were both with 390 grain arrows going right at 297 fps. You must have hit the shoulder joint, that is pretty solid and tuff to get an arrow through.

Mike

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Last year I took a second shot at a bull from 54 yards quartering away and the Ulmer blew right through the bull. Thought I hit the bull with the first arrow but shot just under him. But I did hear the Ulmer hit bone, so loud I thought I missed and hit downed wood.......it blew through like the elk wasn't even there. I lost that bull even with a bunch of blood on the ground, found a bed with a large pool of dark liver blood and a smaller pool of bright red bubbly lung blood then not another drop. Searched with a warden and blood tracking dog for hours and never found him.

Well, I found his carcass this year.......250 yards below the last blood. Not even sure how we missed him there after all the searching we did. I even found the humerus bone that the Ulmer blew through on the offside shoulder. A slit right through the bone vertically with signs where the blood coagulated around it on both sides.

But I'm also shooting 32.5" draw, 70lbs, and last year a 500gr arrow, so no.......I don't have penetration issues generally.

OP
J

Jordan guyer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys I thought I had a good setup, but Something must of happened that I did not see. I could only find pin sized drops of blood that only lasted about 40 yards

kodiakfly

WKR
Sorry to hear that. If there's a bright side, if your arrow did only go 3" and there was barely any blood, he's got a better chance of surviving than if you'd buried half the arrow and started clipping organs and couldn't find him.

MattB

WKR
It sounds like an issue with what you hit and not what you hit it with.

No issues with ulmer for me. 2 Mulies, one elk and 10 whitetails.

I stopped using them on pigs. Scared to loose them since there're discountiued

Outwest

WKR
Ulmers have been great for me. We killed 2 bulls this year with the ulmers with excellent results. As everyone has said, being discontinued is the only downside I see.

I know an outfitter that will not let his hunters use the UE. He has lost bunch of animals with clients using them.

Craig4791

WKR
I hit a big bear with one 60 yds quartering away 511 grain arrow what looked to be a perfect hit but only got about 3 in of penetration. Idk if I hit a rib square on or the blades deployed in the air or what but I will say I've taken another bear and a mule deer with them and they have performed great. Just another possible point of failure when you use a mechanical. Gotta accept it or not use them imo.

Ripnbst

FNG
I know this is an old thread but I recently heard a Podcast that the Ulmer Edge broadhead would be being re-introduced. Has anyone else heard this?

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is an old thread but I recently heard a Podcast that the Ulmer Edge broadhead would be being re-introduced. Has anyone else heard this?

I haven’t been keeping up well on the podcasts but my understanding is Easton is producing the new version of them as the Sevr broadhead. They look slightly different than the original UE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ripnbst

FNG
The Sevr is pretty much the same thing, sure they weren't talking about that one?

I haven’t been keeping up well on the podcasts but my understanding is Easton is producing the new version of them as the Sevr broadhead. They look slightly different than the original UE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The SEVR is functionally the same thing as far as I can tell. Thank you guys for your input. I will order up some SEVR broadheads.

They are good heads. Sounds like you hit something unintended. As easy as it is to say, don’t let it rattle your confidence-stuff happens especially in bow hunting.