Ulmer Edge

I have been shooting Montec broadheads and this year i want to switch to a Mech.Head and i am thinking the Ulmer Edge is what i want to go with. I know some of you are shooting them and wanted to know what yall think of them.I shoot my Bow Elk hunting mainly.
Thanks for the help
Steve

OP
S
I havent ordered any yet but im sure when i do they will still be back ordered and i wont get them until about 3 days before i need them LOL just the way things work:confused:. Looks like quite a few folks are wanting to make the switch. On Paper they sure look great!

vcb

WKR
Just called Trophy Taker and they said they are only making a 125grain ulmer edge for deep 6 and they are not going to be available until late summer......Wow....Deep 6 sucks in this regard.

I shot a deer with one last year did great. I really like how they shot and practice mode rocks it allows you to shot ever arrow in your quiver this way you can make sure each arrow flies true I hope to get to use one on a elk this year if Randy Ulmer shoots them you know there good

Danielboone

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder if Randy would shoot them if someone other than his brother developed them???:confused:

shaun

WKR
I wonder if Randy would shoot them if someone other than his brother developed them???:confused:

Randy shooting them or not they have been proven period. Personally I could care less who shoots what as long as it works. Not a big fan of bandwagons because a big name uses them if that was the case I'd have to buy scent blocker shoot rages and use bushnell optics lol

jjenness

Lil-Rokslider
i watched a mule deer buck get hit just in front of his last ribs, at 40 yards last year. The buck ran off, and was never seen again. The only thing we could figure was the broad head didn't function properly, but the arrow never came out of he buck so we never knew for sure what happened. I would recommend the G5 T3's. I shot my cow elk last year at 50 yards and she literally took 4 steps and tipped over. Just my 2 cents.

Ethan S.

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a deer and an antelope with these last year. Both were good shots and both animals died within seconds and in sight. I was surprised by the blood trail though, there was not a good trail on either one. Also, after going through an animal the blades were really easy to unlock, way easier than they were when I played around with them before hand. This led me to think that when going through an animal they came unlocked, this would mean the dull part of the opposite blade would partially obstruct the cutting edge of the other side. This may have been the reason for a less than good blood trail, I don't know. In the end these are still a mechanical broadhead and I didn't feel very confident in them though, so I switched back to a fixed blade.

Danielboone

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a deer and an antelope with these last year. Both were good shots and both animals died within seconds and in sight. I was surprised by the blood trail though, there was not a good trail on either one. Also, after going through an animal the blades were really easy to unlock, way easier than they were when I played around with them before hand. This led me to think that when going through an animal they came unlocked, this would mean the dull part of the opposite blade would partially obstruct the cutting edge of the other side. This may have been the reason for a less than good blood trail, I don't know. In the end these are still a mechanical broadhead and I didn't feel very confident in them though, so I switched back to a fixed blade.
Dan sent me some of the all steel DS versions last year. I never used them because of those tabs that blocked the cutting edge when deployed and also that the blades were not as sharp as I like. I know many have had success with them, but I have also read well documented stories in which they did not perform like they should have. They are still a mech head, so this will always occur to some degree. I'll just stick to my fixed blades or an original Steelhead 125.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
It looks like they may have a new cut on contact tip. There was a picture floating around recently of Randy shooting them and the tip was not there 6 sided trocar tip but some type of cut on contact looking thing.

vcb

WKR
Something is going on because TT is dragging their feet with d6 ulmers. I know there was a repacement blade issue as well....

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't remember, but it wasn't long ago.....Another idea, is the picture I saw may have been an earlier prototype, I am not sure. I shoot them and am happy so far with them.

Lawnboi

WKR
Id like to try them but why in the heck would they make a 125 only for deep six. Wouldn't it make sense to put out the more popular 100g head in deep six first?

Danielboone

Lil-Rokslider
Id like to try them but why in the heck would they make a 125 only for deep six. Wouldn't it make sense to put out the more popular 100g head in deep six first?

It's because they were all steel to keep strength up and they could not get the weight down to 100 with an all steel ferrule. There was some talk of a titanium DS BH, but that might have been stopped.