Ultimate do it all stock? R700

Fish2keel

FNG
This is my first semi custom rifle. It's a remington 700 action but custom #3 contour fluted barrel, std bolt face fluted and enlarged to mag size for 6.5 prc. It has a Wilson box on it with aluminum bolt shroud as well and over size recoil lug.

I'm at the point now that I'm trying to figure out a stock. I usually hunt with a wood stock for a classic look but am enjoying the carbon look and weight savings.

I dont have access to trying to different stocks but have been looking at the mesa precision altitude and also the Cooper Firearms of Montana stock that stockys has on sale. One is more long range and the cooper Firearms is more traditional.

I hunt all over from southern US to Alaska and am trying to hunt out west some in the future. With that, I usually hunt both elevated or the ground, backpack, offhand or on a tripod.

Anyone use either stock or have recommendations for best all around stock?

Based on what you posted - I'd maybe take a look at the McMillan Classic Edge or the McMillan Hunter in Edge. Both are more classic designs and for a pure hunting rig both would be great IMHO. Especially with a #3 contour barrel. I've done a bunch of builds with the Classic & #3 contours and all have been nice rigs (y)

OP
F

Fish2keel

FNG
I've looked at both of those and am considering them for sure. Was just looking for a different grip from traditional, since never tried a more vertical grip but do shoot without my thumb over the stock.

AJPERALTA

FNG
I just picked up a very lightweight 6.5x47L and it’s in Manners Ultra Classic with Muellerworks #3 barrel. It’s is crazy light. Hopefully I can shoot it.

tdot

WKR
I've become a big fan of my McMillan Game Hunter and the very similar Paradigm carbon stock. They are very versatile and I prefer to shoot them off-hand compared to a traditional stock, which surprised me. Bipod, tripod and off a pack are all better as well.

Seeknelk

WKR
I've become a big fan of my McMillan Game Hunter and the very similar Paradigm carbon stock. They are very versatile and I prefer to shoot them off-hand compared to a traditional stock, which surprised me. Bipod, tripod and off a pack are all better as well.
I'm also a big fan of that McMillan game hunter and also the AG composites alpine hunter. Both may be marketed as a prone type stock first, but I love the vert grip and high cheek supports on both. I might prefer the rounder McMillan forend for one hand carry. I haven't had both at the same time tho. Some people prefer very open stocks like the kimber montana and I like them but i am more used to the others.

Northpark

WKR
I will recommend that Mesa Precision Altitude. I had my first semi custom built of a Rem 700 short Action last year and I opted for the Altitude and I love it. Very good for prone shooting but still comfortable in other positions. Nice and light with enough comb height to offer a good cheek weld with medium height talleys and a 44mm objective scope.

tdot

WKR
I'm also a big fan of that McMillan game hunter and also the AG composites alpine hunter. Both may be marketed as a prone type stock first, but I love the vert grip and high cheek supports on both. I might prefer the rounder McMillan forend for one hand carry. I haven't had both at the same time tho. Some people prefer very open stocks like the kimber montana and I like them but i am more used to the others.
I had to sell my Kimber Montana after getting used to my McMillan Game Hunter. Other then the weight, all of the ergonomics of that rifle went from being pretty good to awkward, just from shooting the Game Hunter alot. Ended up building a similar rifle on the Paradigm stock to match the weight of the Montana, and ergonomics of the Game Hunter.

I've become a fan of the wider forestock too. It sits on a backpack or other improvised rest easier and for me, it recoils more consistently.