Ultimate hunting rig

Elkangle

WKR
Just wanted to hear your guys thoughts on the pros and cons of what is the best vehicle for a hunter...

Little back ground...I spent roughly 150ish days in the woods last year..hunted Washington, Idaho, washington, colorado, idaho, Arizona, & new Mexico

Spent wayyyyy to much time driving and believe there is some room for improvement

All my time was either spent in a f350 or Toyota crewmax tundra...pulling either a 3 horse trailer or no trailer

I'm not convinced the full size is the way to go...but the stopping power is undeniable and can obviously pull the world...but if you get stuck...your stuck ! And the ride blows if you have a rough roads

The half ton is way smoother ride...but has its limits on towing...also much more capable in snow & sand except if a guy needs chains...the ford wins there

I also plan on getting a rzr and small cargo trailer

My brother is the horse guy so he will always have a full size for that...i would never want to pull horses into the mtns with a half ton

But alot of hunts we dont uses the horses...
Im also leaning towards a flat bed to park the razor on...and then get a topper potentially for longer trips and put the rzr in the trailer

Is that too much to ask from a half ton ?? Would definitely need air bags

Extra big fuel tank is a must have but that could be had either way

Which route is the most versatile?

Newer tundra with larger fuel tank, bags for towing, and a bed cover for storage. That half ton will put tow any other half ton on the market and with bags, you gain more stability. I know guys that tow cattle in a 24’ gooseneck with a tundra. Another guy uses a tandem axel dove tail and hauls a 80 horse Massey and 16’ batwing with his. Throw a winch on the front or upgraded number with receiver in front and back and a winch that you can put in the receiver in front or back and you’re set. Only complaint would be gas mileage. Only other option I’d have is a 3/4 ton but set up the same way. Especially winch bc of that front end sinks, you’re done.

If no towing. A Tacoma is real real hard to beat for overall ride, comfort, mileage, and ability to traverse difficult terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

Elkangle

WKR
I was thinking a super charged,flat bed tundra with air bags and an aftermarket fuel tank would be pretty hard to beat...but is 1500 pounds of rzr on the bed too much for the half ton ??

Scorpion

WKR
I was thinking a super charged,flat bed tundra with air bags and an aftermarket fuel tank would be pretty hard to beat...but is 1500 pounds of rzr on the bed too much for the half ton ??

What are you really gaining with that setup that a similarly spec’d 3/4 ton diesel couldn’t do better?

OP
E

Elkangle

WKR
I'm not a truck expert...but maintenance??

Which truck are you referring too