Ultimate Lightweight AND Comfy Pad?!!!???

jmez

WKR
Am I the only one that uses a short pad?

I use a Cabelas XPG short. It works well for me. Don't really need any padding below the hips.

For the past 2 seasons of backpacking and hunting I've used the Pacific Outdoor Equipment Peak Elite AC. It's full-length, 14oz, very packable and 2.5 inches thick. It is pretty warm too due to some special heat reflecting material strategically placed where you need it the most. It features tubes that run parallel to your body and the outside ones are slightly oversized with the idea of keeping you from rolling off of it. It seems very thin and fragile but I haven't experienced any durability issues with it yet. I always put a lightweight tent footprint under it. It did seem a little narrow at first but I'm used to it now. Maybe a problem for broad-shouldered dudes. It's also priced considerably below the NeoAir and such. Not saying it's the greatest thing ever but I'm happy with it for ultralight stuff.

Floorguy

WKR
My wife picked me up an neoair xlite and a zlite sol for Christmas and my birthday. I plan to try those out this year after using self inflatables I already like the weight savings. I figure I can always go smaller later.

S

Salmo-Priest

That is a heavy weight pad for sure.

Yea I suppose your right. But I'll give up a couple ounces for a could nights sleep. I'll get the 78x20 size. It will add 3ozs to the overall weight of my pack but it will be 1" thicker, it's R value will go to 5 from 4 and I "hope"the vertical and horizontal tubes will be more supportive than the Air Core BA I've been using. I've had nothing but perfect results with BA inflatable pads so far! (knock on wood) Been using the same BA Air Core Pad for 6 years with never a failure so I'm kinda depending on the new Q-Core to there for me like it's older brother has been. My sons BA Air core is going on 4 years with perfect results also. :)

slim9300

WKR
I wish Exped would come out with a UL7 pad that was only long but had the standard 20" width. My long/wide UL7 is just unnecessary for me in terms of width. That would make the long pad about 19 ounces, which would be perfect.

Wrongside

WKR
I wish Exped would come out with a UL7 pad that was only long but had the standard 20" width. My long/wide UL7 is just unnecessary for me in terms of width. That would make the long pad about 19 ounces, which would be perfect.

I'd buy one.

dotman

WKR
Yea I suppose your right. But I'll give up a couple ounces for a could nights sleep. I'll get the 78x20 size. It will add 3ozs to the overall weight of my pack but it will be 1" thicker, it's R value will go to 5 from 4 and I "hope"the vertical and horizontal tubes will be more supportive than the Air Core BA I've been using. I've had nothing but perfect results with BA inflatable pads so far! (knock on wood) Been using the same BA Air Core Pad for 6 years with never a failure so I'm kinda depending on the new Q-Core to there for me like it's older brother has been. My sons BA Air core is going on 4 years with perfect results also. :)

You mean a pound right :). My airpad is 16oz but I wasn't impressed with it at 1" thick it just didn't seem better then a foam pad. That thing will keep you warm for sure.

bobhunts

WKR
I had my BA insulated air core valve fail this year. Not the one mentioned above. REI replaced it so all is fine. Wondering if the new pad is much warmer than the first model? Anyone know of the difference in real world use?Bob.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Those Q Cores are comfy looking, but I sleep just fine on my Neo Air short at 9 oz so it's hard to want to change it up. :D

luke moffat

Super Moderator
A short pad sounds horrible to me. Do you sleep in the fetal position or just let your legs hang off?

Pack under the legs...really not that big of a deal and I've found I prefer my feet elevated a bit while I sleep after logging some serious miles or hauling some heavy loads.