Ultimate Lightweight AND Comfy Pad?!!!???

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
After busting my tail this year (packing more weight than I should have) I have started to audit all my gear choices. I'm getting too old for this $h*t!!

Gotta shed some weight from the pack. The most obvious culprit is my monster therm-a-rest camp rest. It's wide, 2" thick and HEAVY (gotta be pushing 4 pounds). I will not compromise much in the comfort category because I feel this pad is almost worth it's weight because of the quality sleep it affords. However, there has to be something half the weight with 90% of the comfort. Looking for your experience to help me pick my next favorite pad. My knees will thank you later!

Coop

i was at the opposite side of the sprectrum coming into mid-august, i was running the lightest pad out there with zero comfort and was just not getting the necessary rest. i tried a bunch of different pads at rei and a couple my friends had and we ended up with 2 of the BA q-core. oh man, that baby is sweet. a little heavy but totally worth it to me. its also so warm i end up using my bag like a quilt and may move toward that next year to equal out the weight penalty in all but the coldest weather

muleman

WKR
I've been using a Long Wide Big Agnes Insulated Air Core (36 oz) for the past several years. The BA IAC is a good warm pad at a moderate weight. Early this Fall I upgraded to the Long Wide Exped DownMat UL 7 (26.5 oz). By going to the Exped I dropped about 10 ounces, increased R Value, and picked up an inch in width. I really like the DownMat UL 7. I have only used it for about 10 days so far. As long as the Exped holds up long term I don't have any complaints.

I have several late hunts this year (including our wolf hunt :confused:) so I decided on the DownMat over the synthetic Long Wide SynMat UL 7 (21.1 oz).

muleman

WKR
Forgot to mention that the Exped is 2.8 inches thick. I find it to be a really comfortable and quite pad.

tstowater

WKR
I went with a NeoAir All-season pad. Regular pad is 20 oz. 4.9R factor and 2.5 inches thick. I was surprised how comfortable it is. Downside is that I am using a Slick bag and you need really flat ground otherwise you will slide off. Great combination otherwise for weight and performance.

sneek-ee

WKR
I have the DownMat UL7 also like MuleMan! comfortable and warm..so far. Quiet just like muleman said.
I have the 20"x72" and it's about 20 oz. 5.7 R value. well worth it.

Updating my sleep system for next year is on my list. Anybody here use a BA style bag with the pad sleeve? Seems like you'd have the added benefit of cut weight and with a good R-value'd pad you'd stay just as warm...

Mike

I like my BA q-core as well. I went to REI and tried out what they had the q-core was the most comfortable with the UL-7 behind it. The UL-7 was lighter but I could get the BA q-core for almost half the price of the UL-7 so I went that route. For lightweight and comfort the UL-7 is hard to beat but a little heiver the q-core for me was the most comfortable.

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm considering the NeoAir pads. I do hear they are a bit noisy but compared to my snoring I think that would be rather inconsequential! One thing I have seen to help with slick pads is to squirt a few beads of caulking or silicone sealer onto the pad then wipe the bead flat with a finger or putty knife. Adds very little weight but provides a non-slip surface. It will peel after a while so you may have to re-apply once a year. This trick has worked well for me.

DWarcher

WKR
Updating my sleep system for next year is on my list. Anybody here use a BA style bag with the pad sleeve? Seems like you'd have the added benefit of cut weight and with a good R-value'd pad you'd stay just as warm...

Mike

I've been using that system for the past two years and it has worked out great. I did however, abandon the sleeve and now just use my bag on top of the pad since I like to sleep on my side and it's too constricting otherwise. If you're a back sleeper the sleeve works like a charm.

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
I'm using a NeoAir All Season size L. Very comfortable and durable so far. The new NeoAir XTherm is lighter and warmer, but more expensive. The NeoAir XLite is much lighter, about the same price, but not as warm or durable. They all make some noise.

The Neo air x- lite is the lightest best r-value pad on the market. Nothing even comes close when you figure weight and r-value. I have slept on mine over 30 nights so far this season and wouldn't use anything else. Had some nights down in the low 20's and plenty warm.

2rocky

WKR
My Uncle brought an insulated air core from BA on our Elk hunting trip earlier this month and it was comfortable he said. Problem was it was LOUD and squeaked against his sleeping bag.

I just traded a Cabelas Self inflater that blew out a seam for a 40th anniversary Thermarest Regular is 24 oz and 2"thick.. Rvalue of 4.

I'll give it a try this weekend and report back.

I like the BA insulated air core. Or a thermarest z-lite for going light. Or you can put those two mats together for the bed of a king

bowuntr

WKR
I've been using the BA lost ranger bag with the sleeve and a Neo Air x-lite pad. I've never slept better in the back country. I had the first generation Neo Air and after 3 seasons it developed a slow leak in the valve. I sent it back and they sent me the x-lite in less than a week. Very pleased wit that..... Ed F

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Coop go with the NeoAir in large. Model is up to you. I have used them since they came out several years back with no problems. Lightweight, comfortable and yes the originals had a bit of a squeak. The newer x lite ones have very little noise to them. Also plenty thick and the large is 25" wide so you shouldn't roll off of it.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I have used the BAIAC for years. Awesome, no complaints.. Got an Exped Synmat 7 for summer...very comfy. Tried out a NeoAir Xtherm this fall; just as good or better than the BAIAC with a lot less weight. All fit in my Big Agnes bags, which I love as I roll around a lot and sleep on my side.

Maxhunter

WKR
Another vote for neo air! Your right they are a tad noisy when moving, but there light weight. Just don't try and sleep on a slope of any kind because you won't be able to stay on the pad. I know because I was hunting sheep in AK and tried it. Otherwise a great pad IMO.