Ultimate tool for the lightweight arsenal!

Awesome! Thanks for the pic's Becca, and the quick response... Do you think that will work with a Kifaru gunbearer? I'm going to try it and post some pictures. Thanks again!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome! Thanks for the pic's Becca, and the quick response... Do you think that will work with a Kifaru gunbearer? I'm going to try it and post some pictures. Thanks again!

Let me know how it works out, and looking forward to your photos. I personally never liked the idea of the Kifaru gunbearer because you end up with the stock of the rifle in your face while you walk. I seem to do a lot more hiking than I do shooting (wonder if I am doing something wrong, LOL), so I prefer my rifle accessible but out of my way until I need it. If you are able to use the zip tie to keep the stock further back then that might be a less invasive way to use the K gunbearer....

Not to hijack the thread, but I have an update. Ok, I've worked on several configurations using the Kifaru Gunbearer to mount a rifle on the side of my KU3700 similar to Becca's method using the Gunslinger for her KU5200. Let me say, it will work! Eventually... I've got it to work, just not to my satisfaction yet.

@Becca, do you always ride with your load lifters that low? In your close up photo of the electrical tape wrapped zip tie, they look like they have slipped down from the top of the stays?

That's the problem I've run into, where exactly to put the top attachment point? I tried attaching it to the same strap on the load lifter, but the weight of the rifle pulls the lifter strap sideways thereby throwing the suspension off a bit because the lifter works itself down over a short amount of time.

Also, it's a pain to get the rifle in while wearing the pack. I think the Gunslinger would definitly make that action much easier, especially when you're carrying a heavy load.

I'm working on it. I'll keep everyone posted. I'll start a new thread when I get it right...

Last edited:

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Becca, do you always ride with your load lifters that low? In your close up photo of the electrical tape wrapped zip tie, they look like they have slipped down from the top of the stays?

That's the problem I've run into, where exactly to put the top attachment point? I tried attaching it to the same strap on the load lifter, but the weight of the rifle pulls the lifter strap sideways thereby throwing the suspension off a bit because the lifter works itself down over a short amount...

I'm working on it. I'll keep everyone posted. I'll start a new thread when I get it right...

Great update CW, excited to see how it turns out. I can't honestly say that I have noticed any issues with the load lifter slipping or being pulled sideways. Keep in mind that the photo above was taken of my nearly empty pack on the floor in our garage, so may not be totally representative of a "real world" application. I will try to get some better photos soon (once Luke is home to take pics for me), and look into the issue more because now I am curious. When I use this set up it seems more like the barrel just "rests" in the zip tie, as opposed to pulling on anything. One difference that might account for this is that as a woman my hips are wider than my shoulders, so the stock and butt of my rifle tend to be pushed out a little, angling the barrel of the rifle in towards my shoulder a little bit.

With regard to getting the rifle in and out of the gunslinger, it is still a little tricky to get in by yourself when you are wearing the pack. I usually load my pack on the ground, then lay it on its back with the waist belt up to put the gun into its place before donning my pack. If I take a sit down break with my pack on while we are hiking, I try to sit on a rock or ledge that has space on my right side for the butt of the gun so I don't have to take it out. It's easy and quick to get the rifle out while wearing the pack (which is a good thing in bear country!), and while I have been able to get the rifle back in myself, it's tricky with the pack on. Way easier if you have a buddy who can get the stock into the little ziptie for you.

Here's a closeup picture of my load lifters. Notice how much higher they ride on my stays then Becca's. They do move up and down the stays via the three bar sliders. I keep them as high as possible to achieve, that nice shoulder lift...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346536420.598694.jpg

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm...CW I see what you mean. Do you think it makes any difference that I have 26" stays in my pack (I am only 5'3)...I certainly don't have any trouble keeping the load "lifted" and the weight on my hips and off my shoulders.

And yes I know those are awfully long stays for someone as short as me. Luke upgraded them from the standard 24" stays to give the pack more lift with really heavy and/or high volume loads (and probably to make it easier for him to borrow my pack too, though he denies this)

I would say the 26" stays and your petite frame have everything to do with the picture. It makes good sense. Short torso+longer stays=more lift. Since you don't need that much lift, unless it's a monster load, the lifter straps can sit lower on you stays.

The KU3700 stays max out at 24". That's what I've got...

Btw, Luke is a liar... Pack envy I'd call it! His T1 must be too heavy? ;-)

I'm going to try to work on the carry options today. Again, I'll keep everyone posted.

calling the Moffats or Chippawawarrior. i really like my gunbearer, & plan on useing it as i have done in the past, but what i dont like is that while useing it on the trail, it tends to leave the muzzle pointing @ other hikers or hunters comeing my direction on the trail, so ive been experimenting with hanging my rifle on my ku3700 the way u do it. my question is, what is this metal zip tie ur talkin about? is it electrical hardware or maybe a hose clamp or what? also, i kinda like it hanging on the framestay, have u tried that? is there some reason u wouldnt? i have been useing a twist tie i found @ sports chalet, but i dont trust it that much.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
calling the Moffats or Chippawawarrior. i really like my gunbearer, & plan on useing it as i have done in the past, but what i dont like is that while useing it on the trail, it tends to leave the muzzle pointing @ other hikers or hunters comeing my direction on the trail, so ive been experimenting with hanging my rifle on my ku3700 the way u do it. my question is, what is this metal zip tie ur talkin about? is it electrical hardware or maybe a hose clamp or what? also, i kinda like it hanging on the framestay, have u tried that? is there some reason u wouldnt? i have been useing a twist tie i found @ sports chalet, but i dont trust it that much.
The metal ziptie is just like a plastic one, only metal. We got a bunch of them at the hardware store cheap after using plastic for a few seasons and having them break on us. You could try attaching the ziptie to the frame stay, but it won't be reuseable then, as you would have to cut it off if you wanted to remove it. I sometimes take mine off to put it on other packs, so having it be removable is handy, but certainly not essential.

dotman

WKR
Well my ultimate tool is down, had to send the belt in due to a bad material or stitching or something. The left side started to fail holding half way thru my elk hunt. Good thing the right side was good so I could still get the belt tight overall. As always kifaru is on top of it.

This pack even with this minor issue is purely awesome! In the mean time while it is being fixed I picked up an eberlestock X2 for a day pack hunting mule deer and whitetails. Figured it would also be a good fit for the wife to see if she still wants to do a few backcountry trips with me next year.

Have you tried the auxilliary gun bearer under the tactical section on kifarus site, it is designed to hold the rifle along the side of the pack vs oout in front like the regular gunbearer? I have it and it works alright as is. The only thing I do is use a horizontal strap to keep it from "swaying" as I have a heavy barreled long range gun vs the lighter mountain guns. I'll post pics if interested. I am interested/wanted to use the gun corral that luke and becca use but I have a tactical stock and wasn't sure it would work with it.

Attachments

• aux holster.jpg
    aux holster.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 153
Ku packs

I love these packs. I am using a KU2200 with a KU E&E and 2 kU Long pockets, adding up to 4500 cui. I also have the duplex 5200 waist belt. Love this pack!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349835202.125347.jpg

Here's my KU 3700 all loaded up on our backcountry trip for elk in the Bob Marshall wilderness near Lincoln, MT. It performed flawlessly, and exceeded my expectations. This particular load weighed ~50lbs.

@Becca - I carried my rifle in the gunbearer both in front and behind. I used the side compression straps on the pack to secure it behind. I also tried using the strap provided with the gunbearer. I didn't like either configuration, so I mostly carried it in front. I'm going to go with your attachment option next...