Ultimate Whitetail System

jdvanstar

WKR
Always tweaking and updating my whitetail hunting clothing system. I hunt fairly deep in public land so my needs are packable but warm. I try to put together a kit that takes me from late Sept to Jan.

As I'm reviewing my stuff, I'd love to hear what you guys are doing. What do your set ups look like? What are the essentials you can't go without?

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I am far from experienced in this area, but I'll tell you my setup. My feet sweat terribly, so I walk in with just a liner sock in my 1200 gram Danners. Once I get on stand I will then add my heavier merino socks, and if needed ice breaker booties. My base layers are UA 2.0 both top and bottom, and some lighter weight off brand synthetics depending on temp, I just ordered FL Fuse zip offs and will put them on once I get on stand, my outer layer is the Sitka Stratus bibs. On top I will have my Sitka light weight 1/4 zip merino, and fanatic hoody on for the walk in. I then add the Stratus jacket when I get on stand. if needed I have a red head vest I will put on under the jacket. I plan on getting the Fanatic set next year so I can cut down on a few layers. The only thing I really cant do without is the ice breakers, everything else is replaceable.

I hunt a lot like you. Public. WalI in. Pack my gear In a backpack.

I wear a sitka jetstream or firstlite catalyst jacket and start layering underneath as temps drop. First fleece then puffy.

o picked up a set of forstlite solitudes last year for the stand hunting I do. Really like them.

OP
J

jdvanstar

WKR
I hunt a lot like you. Public. WalI in. Pack my gear In a backpack.

I wear a sitka jetstream or firstlite catalyst jacket and start layering underneath as temps drop. First fleece then puffy.

o picked up a set of forstlite solitudes last year for the stand hunting I do. Really like them.
I like the solitudes too though they're a little bulky for packing in terribly far.

ericbeb

FNG
I like wearing bibs when setting in the tree stand helps keep cold drafts of wind out. I wear firstlite merino layers fuse t shirt 150 and 250 with a Sitka fanatic hoodie overtop usually gets me down to 35 degrees add a puffy vest and older under armor jacket if windy and below 30 only walk in with merino regardless of temperature need to add a wind stopper layer.

ericbeb

FNG
I like wearing bibs when setting in the tree stand helps keep cold drafts of wind out. I wear firstlite merino layers fuse t shirt 150 and 250 with a Sitka fanatic hoodie overtop usually gets me down to 35 degrees add a puffy vest and older under armor jacket if windy and below 30 only walk in with merino regardless of temperature need to add a wind stopper layer.
Also like to wear a buff

406unltd

WKR
Well here in w mt I do river bottom whitetail in dec and Jan. What I usually go in with is:

beanie
Silk weight top
Traverse top
Cheap puffy vest
Kevin lite hoody
Bino harness

Heavy waffle bottoms
Timberlines
Wool socks
Zam un insul boots

i stay warm. Except for my feet. By 10 I’m getting ready to head back to the truck depending on temps. With that said I am going to be doing three things. Fanatic vest, fanatic bib, and warmer boots. If I get those things done I’ll be able to enjoy some sits in cold conditions. Yesterday for example was a sit from 7-1030 ish and the morning started at 16 or so. My feet said it was time to roll out.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
Merino tops and bottoms
Kuiu attack pants so i can handle walking in/out with the hip vents open
fleece mid layer (have a few different ones I cycle between
light weight puffy and softshell in early/mid season
Heavy weight puffy and kuiu rain shell in late season
added under armour puffy pants this year which i love.

1200g boots - I'm probably going to have to start walking in with a light sock and changing out in the tree

In wv, I’ve been using
Black ovis 250 hoodie merino
Nomad fleece 1/4 zip
Rocky primaloft jacket... this gets me to 30 degrees,

scent lok base layer
Kuiu guide pants

darn tough full cushion socks and either 400 gr rocky or uninsulated Irish setter vapor trek

On a side note if I’m stand hunting all day long my legs do get cold, the kuiu guide pants is not what I thought they were when I bought them. More for walking in cold temps

I recently bought the Eddie Bauer cirrus lite puffy and it’s incredibly warm, caught it on sale for $60, I’d highly recommend it if stationary

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Aclima woolnets and whatever wool layers are necessary.

It's not cheap and it's not ultralight, but it works for me.