Ultra Dry Unit in WY.

williaada

WKR
Working on hunting a unit in the foothills of the big horns, WY. Last three spots where we thought the elk would be have been empty. Lots of tracks, beds, and scat relatively recent. The place is drier than normal meaninh the elk are not being pushed down. Having said that we found about 100-150 elk on a private farm alpha field. Public access near the field is very limited. Anyone have suggestions on how to hunt a unit that is more arid than normal?

Thanks for the help

This is the whole west right now. I wouldn’t sit in water though. There is so much more moisture than you would think.

I use a run and gun approach to find elk. Hike a TON don’t worry about “hunting” just cover ground and find elk. When you find them you can start to hunt. This year more than most I think finding the elk is harder than usual.

Get up high. I don’t think they’ve come down mostly since it’s so warm. They’re just getting more active in my experience. Today I had 4 that were “this close” to getting shot. It’s getting better. But still cover grout d and find elk...and stay up high.