Ultra light bag vs. Quilt

phil

FNG
Anyone out there using Quilts (Nunatak Arc Edge 11 oz.) vs. ultra light sleeping bags for mid to late summer backpacking,scouting,fishing? phil

Mike P

FNG
I used a Golite quilt for the last 2 seasons and it worked well for early season stuff were it would get down to 0 but any colder it wasn't enough (biggest reason i think was not having a hood like a mummy bag, get chills down my neck and back even with a toque on). for later in the season i used an overbag from MEC with the quilt and was able to get it down to -10 Celsius. The overbag is a mummy style.

here is the quilt i use http://www.golite.com/UltraLite-800-Fill-3-Season-Quilt-Long-P46822.aspx

that all said i am going to go with a golite Adrenilin bag with the top zipper for this fall for the added warmth on my goat hunt. I used the quilt last trip 2 yrs ago and a few nights i got a bit chilled due to not having the hood like my mummy bag.

here is the bag i am planning to use http://www.golite.com/Adrenaline-800-Fill-3-Season-Mummy-Long-P46818.aspx

I have been really happy with all my golite gear from packs, tents and sleeping bags, and now with there wholesale style pricing you cant really beat their stuff.

Last edited:

cmeier117

WKR
I am running a Zpacks quilt filled with 900 down. It weighs 19.5 oz and is 20 degree. I am heading out this weekend and the temps should be in the 20's so I will see how it goes. It is almost a pound lighter than my Montbell UL spiral hugger.

muleman

WKR
I often use my Moonstone 15 degree bag as a quilt with a foot box, by opening the zipper all the way then draping it over me. So this year I planned on buying a GoLite UltraLite 800 Fill 3-Season Quilt. But they have been out of stock. So I purchased a GoLite Adventure 3-Season Vario Semi-Rectangular bag to try their sleeping bag quality. I already have a GoLite SL-3 and SL-5, so I know they make a quality product. I have to say I am very pleased with the quality for the price on the Vario. I paid $119 for a long 2 lbs 6 oz, 650 fill bag. The bag compresses nicely about 1/2 the size of my synthetic moonstone.

I only have three nights in the Vario since getting it in May. I used the 40 degree side once when the temperature was in the high 30s. I stayed warm and didn't wake up cold which surprised me. Twice I have used the 25 degree side when the night temperatures were below freezing. One of these nights I was a little cold. For reference all three nights I slept in just my skivies on a BA IAC LW directly on the ground. On the night I got cold, I put a beanie on which helped.

The Vario unzips all the way to form a quilt without a foot box if someone wanted to use it that way. I was impressed enough with this bag that I plan on using the Vario this year for my August and September hunts. I will most likely have a TiGoat Raven along on these hunts if needed.

cmeier117

WKR
I am curious how the "no hood" thing will go when the temps dip below freezing? The Z packs quilt I got is a long version up to 6'2" and I am 5'11". I can snuggle up in it pretty well and cover my ears just leaving my mouth out and I am bringing 2 beanies along. You also could get a down Balcalava, or however you spell it too. It would give you a better neck seal. But quilts really are not meant for late season hunting. Most likely I will take the Montbell 15 spiral UL if I am going in late september onward.

muleman

WKR
Muleman, why did you go with the Raven instead of the ptarmigan? Just curious. phil

I haven't dropped the cash yet on the bivy. TiGoat is 10 minutes from me so I have seen both bivys. I need the raven for size. I'm 6'2" and use a big pad.

muleman

WKR
I am curious how the "no hood" thing will go when the temps dip below freezing? The Z packs quilt I got is a long version up to 6'2" and I am 5'11". I can snuggle up in it pretty well and cover my ears just leaving my mouth out and I am bringing 2 beanies along. You also could get a down Balcalava, or however you spell it too. It would give you a better neck seal. But quilts really are not meant for late season hunting. Most likely I will take the Montbell 15 spiral UL if I am going in late september onward.

I have no experience with a true quilt and just having your face exposed. I was able to use the draw strings on the Vario to draw the bag around my head, only exposing my face. I'm 6'2" and got their long bag.

I have a last week of September first week of October hunt that we usually get some snow during. I'm still planning on using the hoodless Vario during this hunt, based on my below freeezing experiences in early May.

muleman

WKR
I noticed D.J's son at rutalocura has the Wasatch Bivy at just over 4oz. phil

I have a call into Josh regarding the Wasatch. The website shows it's being redesigned, the last time I checked.

Lawnboi

WKR
For 3 season use this year i went with the kifaru doobie. May put it inside tigoat bivy not sure on that yet. Iv used it to freezing and still been warm, even without a hat on yet. I sleep very warm though.

I fold it over and tie it off with the little ties. I sleep on the seam. I like to sleep with my arm out and the extra material up top allows me to wrap up however i want to. I think i made a good choice for only 175. 2lbs.

When it gets cold. Im talking 20 and lower as an average for the night, ill pull out the lithium.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run a Kifaru Woobie or Doobie when the weather is hot, but that's usually inside a bivy sack too.

If you're a hot sleeper, than you should be fine, but I wouldn't do it if you get cold easy.