Ultra Light compact chair for public land hunting

phorizt

FNG
Anyone have a recommendation for a quality, comfortable, lightweight chair that is compact/collapsible that will fit easily in a pack? Will be used for public land bowhunting from the ground. I used a $12 foldable stool with a back from Academy last year but it doesnt really collapse much so doesnt fit well in a pack and it isnt comfortable for long sits. I’d like to upgrade to something better this year. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what me and my crew usually use for any kind of ground hunting other than a seat cushion. Probably weighs 8-10lbs and is super comfortable. Maybe not ultralight but it’s what I use. I’ve killed several deer and lots of turkeys out of them.
b6e31af2b082ccf365ef48c0f17ff176.jpg

jspradley

WKR
My go to is one of those foam stadium seat pads from wally world. I think they are like $5.00.

I can sit all day on one of those leading against my pack and they weigh next to nothing.

OP
P

phorizt

FNG
Thanks for the suggestions. I do prefer to be up off the ground a little. Down here in TX, I hate being eye level with rattlesnakes when it can be really warm during hunting season. I was hunting a few years back and sitting on a small log(maybe 4" in diameter) on the ground and heard a noise and looked down and a 4-5' rattler had slithered along the log and his head was sticking out to the left of me and his tail was to the right and the rest directly under my rear only a few inches away. Almost gave me a heart attack! Since then I've always avoided sitting right on the ground. Even though a chair 12" or so tall won't do much at least they can't bite me in the neck.

Well if you don’t wanna be on the ground, there are Chama chairs that fit the bill. I can’t imagine spending $150+ on a chair like that though. If you have the money and are a dedicated ground hunter then one of those just might be the ticket.

jspradley

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions. I do prefer to be up off the ground a little. Down here in TX, I hate being eye level with rattlesnakes when it can be really warm during hunting season. I was hunting a few years back and sitting on a small log(maybe 4" in diameter) on the ground and heard a noise and looked down and a 4-5' rattler had slithered along the log and his head was sticking out to the left of me and his tail was to the right and the rest directly under my rear only a few inches away. Almost gave me a heart attack! Since then I've always avoided sitting right on the ground. Even though a chair 12" or so tall won't do much at least they can't bite me in the neck.

Ah yeah, we do have a few snakes here haha

A sit drag is another option for super lightweight if there are trees around you can tether off to and basically use from the ground as a saddle. Works pretty well and lets you move super quiet to shoot around the tree.

For folding chairs I got nothin, all the super lightweight ones I've sat in felt like they would collapse if you twisted in them in the least

Tartan

WKR
Hillsound btr

I usually carry a cheap little tripod I picked up probably 20 years ago in case a ground set up makes the most sense. (North Texas and Oklahoma).

I’m ordering one of these chairs in the link. I like how it telescopes and I can throw it in my pack vs strapping in on the outside.
When I’m running and gunning. I carry the stool, a modified ghillie, sticks and a saddle. There are lots of areas I hunt that just don’t have many climbable trees.

JakeSCH

WKR
Helinox Zero. Comfortable lounger, fine for glassing if you sit up. 1lb even and packs absolutely tiny.

I second the Helinox style chairs. I think costco out here has a version that is much cheaper and still well under 2 lb.

I run a REI co-op version, very light and comfortable.

TomJoad

WKR
Google hammock seat from Fanatic Outdoors. I have killed deer with my recurve from the ground with it, as-well-as turkey. Packs small, lightweight.

Looks super comfy and likely a great option for hunting in the midwest or east. If you are hunting in the west you may find many glassing locations you want to use such as rock outcroppings will be free of trees making this option limited in its usefulness. Also at nearly 2lbs there are other freestanding options that are significantly lighter.

If you are not 100% off of the stool concept but want something more user friendly and lighter that your academy option you should check out the BTR stool from hillsound:

It's under 12" collapsed, super fast set-up and well under 1lb

I love my Helinox chair. But, not for when I need to get close to game. It is noisy when you move even the slightest bit. Great for open country glassing when noise isn't a factor. It also leans back further than I would like for bow hunting.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
You got the BTR stool, helinox zero and REI flex lite air. As already mostly mentioned. All fold and only the zero is over 1lb (17oz)

Helinox swivel chair. Super comfortable, leans back a little, and the swivel motion is dead silent.

I've never owned the chair zero but the swivel definitely sits higher and doesn't creek. The only noise is setup.