Ultra Light Kestrel and Tyto Knife question

Bughalli

WKR
After trying a number of ultra light knives I've been very happy with my current knife setup (Gerber Vital), but as a gear junkie I'm always looking at new gear and tweaking my backpacking setup. The Kestrel and Tyto knives have caught my eye (I'm probably just too bored in the off-season). My question is....how secure are the knives in those sheaths? I noticed there is no cross over strap to ensure it won't accidentally come out. Those knives are soooo sharp I would never want one to come out of the sheath in my pack, yet it seems like it could happen. Just curious if others share that concern and/or if you have significant experience with them what have you seen. If I bought one, I might consider adding a light bungee strap or something to keep it in the sheath. Just better safe than sorry in the backcountry.

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
For me the simple solution for the tyto, havalon, vital or any replaceable blade knife is not to carry a blade on it. Then there is no need to worry. It Thales 3 seconds to put a blade on and makes it safe to carry in my kill kit this way.

Thanks
Boswell

bates

WKR
i have a kestrel and find it very secure

do i put it in the bottom of the pack no, i am careful where it goes, typically a lid or some sort of external pocket, but dont think extra retention is needed

I carry a couple of Kestrels in the Velcro sheaths (just because they're lighter), and they stay sealed tight. It actually takes a little effort to peel the Velcro off from around them.

Fireman5569

Lil-Rokslider
My new Tyto Knife is super secure in its sheath very tight fit, i have a Kestrel caper and hunting knife on the way ill let you now when i get them.

Last edited:

rfc86

FNG
I just received my Tyto Knife in the mail and I will agree with Fireman5569. It is very secure. Mine shipped with a blade on and I tried with all my might to shake / whip it loose from the sheath with no luck. Its going anywhere. Can't wait to get an animal on the ground!

jm1607

WKR
My Kestrel EDC was very secure in it's Kydex until just recently. After 1.5 years of hard use it's a little loose, but not so much that I'm afraid of it coming off in my bag. I would go for it