Ultra light knives

Adrnlyn

FNG
I have been looking at knives for quite some time. I want a high quality steel with a knife that is light. My research has helped me narrow it down to 3 options so far. Benchmade Altitude,
Tyto Fannin, or the
Kifaru Helium.
Are there any other options that I should consider?

Any recommendations or justifications?

Right now I am leaning toward the benchmade because of their forever sharp warranty. I hate sharpening knives.

EastMT

WKR
I use a bunch of them too. A buddy rigged me a nice simple kydex sheath for them.

View attachment 97862

View attachment 97863

Yup the Vicky as they call it here, not much better in terms of weight to cost ratio. Also the Victorinox birds beak is amazing for skull removal. I’ve used the Vicky for breaking pelvis and all, super knife.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I’ve been using a Tyto for the last few year, but I am moving back to a lightweight fixed blade like the Kestrel or the new knife Argali is coming out with.

I backpacked into a place last year, set up camp and was clearing a spot to cook dinner and found two discarded blades. I would hope everyone on here is packing out those old blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Adrnlyn

Adrnlyn

FNG
Then you'll *really* hate sharpening S90V.
I was leaning towards it since it should last while boning an elk without needing sharpened. (At least a few reports say it’s possible anyways). Then I can just send it to them and they will sharpen it.

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
I was leaning towards it since it should last while boning an elk without needing sharpened. (At least a few reports say it’s possible anyways). Then I can just send it to them and they will sharpen it.

That's why I went with Benchmade for my fixed blade.

Lawnboi

WKR
You guys just sending in your knife when it gets dull must be without a knife quite a bit. I like my knives really sharp, even super steels like Elmax and S90V lose there hair popping sharpness fairly quickly. I’m certainly not going a season without tightening up an edge on a knife. Maybe could if I only processed an animal or 2 a year.

OP what do you consider an ultralight knife? Weight wise?

I played the havalon game on a few deer and really didn’t like it.

If you don’t like sharpening and are going through a number of animals a year idk what the answer is. A lot of these higher dollar UL knives are made of pretty hard super steels, which can be a pain to sharpen even with the right gear.

Obviously your ready to shell out the big bucks. Personally I think you can get as much if not more of a knife for your money, or even save some for same quality. Lt Wright and kestrel are two companies that come to mind. Haven’t put hands on it but iron will came out with a knife I’d like to try as well.

Last edited:
OP
Adrnlyn

Adrnlyn

FNG
You guys just sending in your knife when it gets dull must be without a knife quite a bit. I like my knives really sharp, even super steels like Elmax and S90V lose there hair popping sharpness fairly quickly. I’m certainly not going a season without tightening up an edge on a knife. Maybe could if I only processed an animal or 2 a year.

OP what do you consider an ultralight knife? Weight wise?

I played the havalon game on a few deer and really didn’t like it.

If you don’t like sharpening and are going through a number of animals a year idk what the answer is. A lot of these higher dollar UL knives are made of pretty hard super steels, which can be a pain to sharpen even with the right gear.
I am looking for something under 2oz

I am willing to do some slight touch up, but I will send the knife in at least once annually.

I also played the havalon game for a while, but the blades break so easily I was always nervous. Changing a blade was also a pain. If I do another knife in that style I will switch over to the outdoor edge.

Lawnboi

WKR
Got it.

One I would look at would be an LT Wright skeleton key. USA made, they will sharpen it too. Quality D2 steel, I have yet to get a knife from them that the heat treat was bad on. 95 bucks with kydex and right around 2oz. Personally I’d go this route and save 100 bucks. Just another one to look at

Lawnboi

WKR
L866OzN.jpg

I’d also carry the extra ounce for a handle 👍

I like knives.

Ratbeetle

WKR
L866OzN.jpg

I’d also carry the extra ounce for a handle 👍

I like knives.

Me too. My favorite is a Shaerks Little Mook. 1/8" thick steel with a solid handle means I don't have to baby it and I'm not noticing an extra ounce. 2.96oz.

Last edited:

Randle

WKR
I picked a mora eldris a few months ago. That I have used around my property for awhile. It really has a great grip on it and is 2.8 ozs
I have not used it on an animal yet, but I have high Hope's it will work well.