Ultra light knives

TheGDog

WKR
Ok.. so you're bringing these types of knives to process your animal for the weight savings. Cool, got it.

But this brings up a question... sometimes for myself... when out in the field... on sits I'll need to back myself up partially shoved into a scrub oak or some other bush. (Or sometimes deeply shoved in) Both for concealment and sometimes just to get out of the unmerciful sun. At times when doing this, I'll need to cut away parts of branches here and there which might protrude a little too much and wanna poke me in the back or neck or whatever. Do you guys also carry like some sort of folder in your pocket for tasks like that? Or do you just go without being able cut off annoying branch pieces since you've elected to only bring these ultra-lite knives?

Garryett

FNG
I have the same LT knife and really like it.
L866OzN.jpg

I’d also carry the extra ounce for a handle 👍

I like knives.

I have the same LT knife and really like it.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Iron Will k1 Ultralight Hunting Knife weighs 1.0 ounce as a skeleton knife. We just added a handle option also at 1.7 ounces. Here is a photo and a video link. It's made of A2 steel at 60 HRC.

k1_lr.JPG

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
So my name is Seth. I am an addict. Here is a semi complete ultralight knife list. I'll run down a blow by blow on each knife. I own each of these knives and each has been weighed. Ill run top to bottom. Ther really isnt any knife on here that wont break down an elk without a touchup steel wise except maybe the izula so steel wise for cutting they are all pretty equal. Weights are with sheaths and handles or wraps ready to go.

Note: Handles or paracord is noted in the notes steel is in ( )

Screenshot (34).png

Tyto Ti -
The holy grail of ultralight backpack scalpel knives. You won’t find a lighter knife that I have found. Paracord wrapped handle isn’t my favorite but the knife makes up for it in all other ways. Downside is I don’t think he makes this one anymore. Visit the rockslide shootout on scalpel blades to determine which blades you want to use. I use 60A blades I can’t find the link maybe someone can help out.

Havalon Piranta -
Not much to say here. Price makes it attractive. It’s a very light low-cost option. I have multiple running around various packs and trucks. Not my first choice however as it just doesn’t feel great in my big hands. Despite this I carry them like in my duck pack where it may get lost in the water. I won’t cry if I lose one at $40

Kestrel Knives (mountain caper, EDC, Ovis Hunter and Skinner) -
These are my one of my favorites for a few reasons. When only the lightest sharpest knives will do kestrel is what you’re looking for. The blades are a touch thin but cpm-s35vn is a no BS good steel. It’s still field sharpen able but will hold an edge very well. The handles aren’t comfortable for my bear paw hands without paracord wrap and I wish they made scales. But they are amazing. I bought the limited-edition green carbon fiber handled ovis hunter and even with its high price and high weight it was very worth it. The mountain caper wears no wrap and doesn't need it. You’re not going to be using it for popping joints. I prefer the mountain caper to the scalpel blades. For that reason, I have never seen the need to buy the mountain scalpel from them. The edc is a titanium blade and so so. I wouldn't carry the EDC as my only skinning knife, and the mountain caper is s90v which is a premium steel. The rest of the blades are cpm-s35vn.

Iron Will - K1 and K2 with scales -
These are my other favorites. There is a lot to like about the Iron wills. The steel is amazing and holds an edge well. The handle on the K1 felt a little sharp in my hands so it lived last year with a paracord wrap. The paracord wraps came off and G10 handles went on when the handles and K2 became available. The handles to me are worth the extra weight. Ounce for ounce they weight similar to the kestrels with paracord wrap so the little bit heavier weight is because of the handles. My only knock on the iron will is the A2 steel while awesome doesn’t have great corrosion resistance. It needs a little care to keep looking like new. I use renaissance wax on it and my iron will broadheads and it works wonderfully at keeping the surface rust away. I’ll just be honest maybe I’m a wuss or maybe just careless when quartering but the sharpened top spine of the K1 scares me just a bit. The knives are sharp, and I have no doubt being careless would yield a nasty cut. I haven't had a chance to test out the K2 yet, but it feels very nice in hand and very similar to the kestrel skinner which I really like. I have no doubt it will be a homerun. Would love to sacrifice a couple grams for a cerakote option and a K1 without a sharp top spine.

Rainier Fastpack Saber with micarta handles -
This knife has a lot to love. Elmax steel. $135 with the micarta handles. The knife is just a touch small in my hands, so I don’t use it for a skinning knife but rather a pack belt EDC. It’s fantastic. I don’t care for micarta handles as they stain but the blade design and steel make all else ok with this knife. The micarta handles were lighter than the paracord these knives used to wear. Elmax isn’t a steel that I would want to be hand touching up in the backcountry though. I use my wicked edge when this one needs touched up. I wouldn't hesitate to quarter up an animal with this knife if I had to though.

Kifaru Helium -
This knife never much got a fair shake. I got it at the same time I got as the fastpack and the fast pack won out on all fronts. This knife has a good steel but is too small in my hand to be much use to me as a skinning knife and I like the fastpack better as a pack belt EDC. So, I just haven’t used it. The fastpack won.

Tyto 1.1 and Fannin 3.0 -
Man, I love the parakeet green. Just had to get that out. Its damn sharp looking. The Tyto 1.1 with the g10 handles is standard fare scalpel knife. Easy to control. Fits the hand nice. I like the fact because of the Cerakote I can toss it in the sink and scrub her up with dawn dish soap and not corrode the blade. The Tyto Fannin 3.0 takes the 1.1 and put a fixed blade on it. It is a fantastic knife and I really like it. Scales feel great. Slips right in the hand and fits there. The D2 holds an edge well and I have been happy with it. Takes a touchup by hand quite well. But likely wont need touched up in the field. Gutted, skinned and quartered a whitetail with it last weekend and it was still plenty sharp when I was done popping the joints.

Esee Izula -
It’s a little too heavy. And that’s in a sheath I made for it that was lighter. With paracord wrap. The steel is meh. The price is at least cheap enough. Plan on having to touch up mid animal. Carrying the work sharp field sharpener just makes this knife heavier. The only upside is it purdy in red and fits well in the hand. IMO your better off saving $ and buying a better knife for backpack hunting.

Argali Carbon -
I was pretty down on this knife when I bought it. I thought it was too much $ for what it was. I'm warming up to it fast though. The scales come with it which is why the price looks high to start with. The scales are very well done though, skeletonized and grippy. Honestly, some of the best scales on knives like this I have seen. And let’s be honest it’s pretty much all of them. The steel at cpm-s35vn is a particularly good steel and holds an edge well. I haven’t broken down anything with this knife yet, but I have a feeling that I will really love this knife when I run it through its paces. It feels nice in the hand and fits well. Argali also offers a rokslide discount.

Benchmade Altitude -
Not on list didn't make the cut. Handle wasnt comfortable for skinning and quartering an animal for me. The steel was great at s90v but just couldnt like the handle design. The blade design was great. The sheath it came with was a heavy option. Why make an ultra light knife and put it in a heavy sheath. I ended up making a lighter kydex sheath for it but the handle killed it for me. Even with the lighter sheath it was still one of the heavier options. So it went down the road.

Iron wills and Kestrels
20200929_212437.jpg

Everone else. Argali not picutred and rainier fastpack has micarta scales.
20200929_212817.jpg

Last edited:

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the review Seth. I've handled most of these knives, but it's great to get a comparison from someone that has used them.

Buck 141 paklite skinner. Did a whole elk with no issues. Very lite weight plus it’s affordable. Don’t have to stress or go worry about going back if you loose it.