Ultra light knives

mcseal2

WKR
I can easily sharpen my high quality particle steel knives with the Edge Pro; S30v, Elmax, S90v - etc

I also prefer scales on a knife....there comes a point where ultra light weight loses its functionality for me.....YMMV

What do you sharpen with?

I carry a ceramic steel that is 1.2oz from Cabelas if I take something with me. At a truck camp or on an AK trip I'll have a Worksharp field sharpener. I use a Sypderco Sharpmaker at home. I have some higher end O1, D2, S30V, S35 knives and a Benchmade Altitude. Got some others out of softer stuff too.

For the OP the Altitude isn't my favorite knife to do a whole animal with although it is capable. I like a bigger blade and more of a handle and am willing to carry one. The Altitude I like for caping and as a back-up/supplement to my bigger knife. It rides in my bino harness pocket and is always on me even if I drop my pack. I don't ounce count to hard on my knives, a decent knife that fits my hand is a place I'll pack a few ounces.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use a kestrel skeleton skinner for skinning and poping joints (at the base of the blade), for the weight its a good arc skinning blade and the S35VN (iirc) holds up well through an animal (I touch up after each hunt), and at the light weight I don't feel bad about carrying a light boning knife also. The long blade on the boning knife works slick in my opinion, no hacking down through backstraps, etc. I can sink it all the way through in one pass. The pair are lighter than most fixed blade blade hunting knives some guys carry. Not its not as light as a single ultralight knife but I'm not dulling the boning knife skinning and get a long flexible blade for boning. Its just an area I'm fine carrying an extra ounce or so on typical hunts.

Logan T

WKR
What do you sharpen with?

I carry a ceramic steel that is 1.2oz from Cabelas if I take something with me. At a truck camp or on an AK trip I'll have a Worksharp field sharpener. I use a Sypderco Sharpmaker at home. I have some higher end O1, D2, S30V, S35 knives and a Benchmade Altitude. Got some others out of softer stuff too.

For the OP the Altitude isn't my favorite knife to do a whole animal with although it is capable. I like a bigger blade and more of a handle and am willing to carry one. The Altitude I like for caping and as a back-up/supplement to my bigger knife. It rides in my bino harness pocket and is always on me even if I drop my pack. I don't ounce count to hard on my knives, a decent knife that fits my hand is a place I'll pack a few ounces.

I’ve got the Altitude knife as well, and I have no problem sharpening the blade to razor sharp with the work sharp field sharpener. The biggest trick is to use the leather strop on it. Amazing what that does to the edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have been looking at knives for quite some time. I want a high quality steel with a knife that is light. My research has helped me narrow it down to 3 options so far. Benchmade Altitude,
Tyto Fannin, or the
Kifaru Helium.
Are there any other options that I should consider?

Any recommendations or justifications?

Right now I am leaning toward the benchmade because of their forever sharp warranty. I hate sharpening knives.

I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you about our new Carbon knife. 1.8 ounces. S35VN steel. Removable textured handles. Designed for people that want a super light knife with the feel of a full handled blade.

https://argalioutdoors.com/collections/knives/products/carbon-knife

I've been using the buck 141 paklite trophy kit made from s30v for two seasons. Great knives at a great price point. I have XL hands and they provide great purchase for me. I think they are definitely worth a look.

thrash907

FNG
I’ve been pretty happy with my ESEE Izula paired with the Tyto.

rbljack

WKR
bringing this up with a question..does anyone have a picture of the Kifaru Helium knife with the paracord removed? Anyone use it without the paracord on it? curious to know how yall like it. So far, im really leaning towards that kestrel set ….looks like a good option for a skinner and caper option as well.

tdot

WKR
I dont have pics of the Helium. I pulled the paracord off but replaced it with a 1.2mm line, I didnt like it without some type of wrap.

I can say that I prefer the Kestrel Ovis for working on an animal. Not that the Helium is bad, it is more compact and it is a great knife, I use it often and have gutted, skinned and quartered a Mule deer with it. But the Ovis is exceptional for working on an animal, it's a very versatile blade shape, but too long for a pocket. They are very complimentary, IMO. Helium is somewhere in a pocket and the Ovis is in the pack.

Big momma got me a Benchmade Bugout this year.
So far I’m loving it. Light, holds an edge well and no sheath required. Plus the blade design works for me and it has a handle I can comfortably hold.

oenanthe

WKR
How do the Victorinox paring knifes compair on blade retention to the others here?
I can't speak for the other knives, but the Victorinox has edge retention typical of quality high-carbon knives. I usually carry a small ceramic sharpener, and touch up the knife quickly before I start butchering, and maybe once or twice while skinning and field dressing. Let's call it one touchup for a sheep, two for a caribou, and maybe even three for a moose. It's not really that the knife is dull when I stop to touch it up, more like I need to straighten up and rest my back. :)

ShawZaw

FNG
I have a Benchmade Altitude. I love the knife, super light weight and I put a paracord handle on it for more to grip. I have to say though, I wasn't particularly impressed when I lost the edge about 50% of the way through a bull elk. Definitely some user error, probably caught a lot more hair than I should have, but I expected the thing to be razor sharp all the way through at least 1 elk.

fshaw

WKR
If you’d consider a folder the William Henry T12CF is spendy on the used market but is a beauty that will bone out a whitetail without a touchup. Not sure if it’s sub 2 oz but if not it’s close.

fshaw

WKR
I also have one of the Victorinox non serrated paring knives in a kydex sheath that cost $25 or so, sheath included. Cheap and handy.

fshaw

WKR
AK Troutbum, do you get ever hand Cramps with the skeleton handles? I’ve looked at the Kestrels.

AK Troutbum, do you get ever hand Cramps with the skeleton handles? I’ve looked at the Kestrels.

I’ve never had an issue with my hand cramping up, but I pretty much only use them on mountain hunts, and on medium sized game like deer, sheep, and goats. Maybe if I was using them to clean an entire moose it would be a different story. I just picked up a Kestrel handle for the disposable blades, and I’m hoping to be able to try it out next month. Fingers crossed.

43d4236eb6b62a855a0f392ac80541a1.jpg

4492f71a3b1cb2df9048c4c62eaa8e0b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fshaw

WKR
Thanks for the reply. I haven’t owned any S90 knives and will likely pick up a mountain caper.

Linedawg

Lil-Rokslider
I have also had awesome luck with the benchmade altitude 1 cow elk 3 deer 2 turkeys and still sharp gutless method on deer and elk always cutting going with the grain of the hair