Ultra light skeleton hunting knife Recommendations?

I have the Benchmade Altitude and Havalon. I prefer the Altitude. I got tired of breaking blades and then trying to replace them while in the middle of taking care of an animal.

I wrapped some paracord around the handle of the Altitude to give it a little better grip, plus having some extra paracord always comes in handy.

I have the Benchmade Altitude and Havalon. I prefer the Altitude. I got tired of breaking blades and then trying to replace them while in the middle of taking care of an animal.

I wrapped some paracord around the handle of the Altitude to give it a little better grip, plus having some extra paracord always comes in handy.

I just ordered my Altitude this week (because of the above commenter who tipped me off to the $149 sale going on at at this website), so I haven't gotten my hands on the handle yet. I've considered wrapping the blade with paracord for the added comfort, but several guys on here said they don't like the paracord because they're worried it will gunk up with blood when you're breaking down an animal. Have you found this to be the case, or does the paracord stay pretty clean?

Anozira

WKR
Was it because you found the skinny handle too uncomfortable, or were there other reasons?

Its probably a personal preference just like how shoes fit everyone different. For me the handle didn't feel right in my hand. I struggled to make it work "fluidly" for me. I want to be clear that I didn't have a problem with the quality of Tyto's knife- it was nicely constructed.

image3.jpeg

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
plus on e on the Altitude and the Bugout. Instead of paracaord, try going to a hobby store and buying some leather string on the roll. Wrap your handle of the altitude. The thing I like about the leather, is it seems to get sticky with blood, instead of slick. Also, when you wrap, put a "pinky loop" in for your pinky finger. Gives you a little more control and retention ability. Also, if you are using the Altitude as a neck knife, loop your necklace around the handle so it doesn't come out at the worst possible time (I speak from experience)

I use hydrogen peroxide to clean the para cord if it get real bad. I really don’t care if it fades the color. The altitude handle is ok for me but I’m not a big guy so the slim profile works.

tdot

WKR
I know some guys dislike the Skeleton knife handles. But for my hands they actually work as well or better then many handles.

I've also pulled off all the paracord wraps and replaced it with 1mm dyneema. It doesnt absorb blood, you get a full meter of cord per handle, and I find it gives better grip then the paracord.

Poured bleach on the paracord once. Wont do that again. Found out that bleach is an oxidizer. Oops.

So my Altitude was supposed to arrive this morning, but got delayed (darn road closures in Wyoming). I was thinking about another option than paracord to wrap the handle in. Have any of you tried wrapping the handle in Tennis Racket Handle Tape? It's supposed to be pretty tacky, so I'm thinking that it won't get slippery when it gets covered in blood. Just a thought, and I think I might experiment with it. I can always remove it if I don't like it.

Randle

WKR
I have used plastic tool dip and it works fairly well , 5 times with a long dry time between each make it thick as you want.
I have also used hockey tape

KHNC

WKR
I’ve got the Iron Will it’s not impressive AT ALL. Absolutely no finishing work, the back side might be as sharp as the blade. I talked to Iron Will and he basically said, yeah we didn’t do well on them. It’s rough for $150 or whatever. And probably like the broadheads it will rust just mentioning water.
This knife is definitely junk! I bought one last year. I have managed to skin an elk , a bear, antelope and several deer with it, AND A HAVALON. It will not stay sharp for 3 minutes. lol. Now i have sharpened it so many times that it is so worn you just cant sharpen it well again. Thanks for this thread as i am in the market again too. I wanted to like it , but its just not a quality knife.

50 bucks shipped F&F paypal. [email protected]

You will be lucky to get it sharp, but you buy it and i will send it.

$50? Tell us how you really feel, lol. That's really too bad to hear. I was really on the fence about buying this knife because everyone has raved about the quality of their broadheads. Hopefully they'll either stop offering it, or go back to the drawing board.

sndmn11

WKR
50 bucks shipped F&F paypal. [email protected]

You will be lucky to get it sharp, but you buy it and i will send it.

That's tempting but seems a little high for something that I would be lucky to get sharp.....

I might have mentioned in this thread or another for those disliking the skeleton knives due to lack of a handle, but I think cork might be a good solution. So, I made up a Spyderco Mule with a cork handle and it is off at the sheath guy's place. If anyone is interested in fiddling with it at the WHCE, let me know as I will have it at our booth.

KHNC

WKR
That's tempting but seems a little high for something that I would be lucky to get sharp.....

I might have mentioned in this thread or another for those disliking the skeleton knives due to lack of a handle, but I think cork might be a good solution. So, I made up a Spyderco Mule with a cork handle and it is off at the sheath guy's place. If anyone is interested in fiddling with it at the WHCE, let me know as I will have it at our booth.
I wrapped mine with paracord as recommended. Very ergonomic in my opinion. If it would actually cut anything, and hold an edge, it would be a badass knife!

KHNC

WKR

50 seems like a deal to me :oops:

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve got the Iron Will it’s not impressive AT ALL. Absolutely no finishing work, the back side might be as sharp as the blade. I talked to Iron Will and he basically said, yeah we didn’t do well on them. It’s rough for $150 or whatever. And probably like the broadheads it will rust just mentioning water.

Did we talk? If so I believe I said that the skeleton handle had sharp corners on the first batch and we now break all the corners. I'll ship a die maker stone to anyone who bought one to break the corners or you can use any sharpening stone to do this. The paracord wrap makes the handle more comfortable and we plan to start selling an optional G10 CNC machined handle in a couple months that can be added. Many guys love this knife for what it is, a one ounce knife that can get easily get you through a whole animal without resharpening with proper use. I used them on eight animals this year and found that to be the case. I'm hearing this from a majority of the feedback as well. Ask any knife maker and they will tell you that A2 steel at 60 HRC hardness holds an edge really well. Some of the steels with extremely hard carbides will take longer to wear down, but they are much more difficult to get the edge back. A2 steel has the added benefit of multiple times higher toughness which is important with the reduced material in an ultralight knife. You might get a rust spot if you leave the knife wrapped in something wet for days, but I haven't seen one in two years of use with several back country hunts. This knife has a top sharpened edge near the tip that can be used to make all the hide cuts keeping the belly of the knife sharp longer for skinning and boning. For the few people that like to hold their index finger near the tip to guide a blade when cutting, this is not the knife for you.
IMG_0935.jpg
IMG_0937.jpg

sndmn11

WKR

50 seems like a deal to me :oops:

I sent you a PM

Beendare

WKR
I like a big ole Bark river fixed blade style knife for the heft and the handle.....but I just don't want to haul it all over hell in a heavy sheath.

I was a bit surprised how much I liked the Altitude. The little carbon fiber bit on the handle doesn't look like much but its just enough to help manipulate the knife. Love the S90v steel...holds an edge like crazy. Of course its super light and zero bulk including sheath.

Grip is fine with the Altitude as I always wear gloves....and I love the Orange!

_____

Last edited: