Ultra Lightweight Tripod for Binoculars-Oben CT-1000L

renagde

WKR
I'm looking to add a tripod to my pack. I recently picked up a pair of 11x45 Sig Zulu9 binoculars so I'm looking for something lightweight. I don't need a 5lb tripod since I don't have a spotter and have no plans to add one as of now. I've seen the uber lightweight Kramer Designs tripod but the lack of adjustment has me looking for something else. After lots of research, I found the Oben CT-1000L. It's considered a compact or table top tripod but it's capable of being extended further than most. It clocks in at 1.1lbs and folds down nice and small. The max height of the tripod is 28", but it does come with a center extension that extends it all the way to 54". My biggest question is, do i really need a heavier tripod to get the stability needed? It has a 11lb capacity (I believe that is without the center extension) so it would seem it's pretty sturdy. Then the other question is, how much do you really use a tripod standing up? I figured 90% of the time (or more) I would be sitting to glass anyways. If this tripod extends to 28" without the center extension, that would probably even give me enough room to glass from a small glassing stool. I realize that it'll probably be pretty shaky in windy conditions if extended the whole way to 54", but at the same time I'm not glassing 3-4 miles out with 11x45 binoculars.

I'm about to pull the trigger on this one. I have yet to find something of this caliber at this weight, but at what point is less weight a negative?

EdP

WKR
I'm wondering about the Oben myself both for glassing and as a shooting platform. Obviously there are better tripods on the market for those uses, but I can't see spending $1,500 on a tripod.

Take a look at the Promaster X-CM522CK. It folds down to 12 3/16", with an excellent arca ball head, perfect for binoculars, weighs 2Lbs 4 oz, minimum working ht is 12" or with the ground level adapter 6", max height is 53". It can hold 11Lbs. The model # is 3692.
Normally this is $239.99, we have it on sale for $189.99, and members here pay only $169.99

Call us at 516-217-1000 to get the savings as this is a forum special

Here is the link:

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
I got the Oben. It’s rated at the same 11lb optic rating as the Promaster at 1/2 the weight. Haven’t used it in windy conditions but from a sitting position it’s the cats meow. Super small, lightweight package. The ball mount works really well. For $120, it’s hard to beat.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
@renagde how true to the weight specs is the Oben? Any further thoughts on it now that you’ve had it for a few weeks?
As advertised-it comes in at 1lb 1oz for the tripod and ball head. This does not include the center extension. I haven't gotten a lot of use behind it, but I am pretty impressed how steady it is for how light it is. I think it has an advertised 11lb optic limit, so it's not just super flimsy. I don't think I will be using the center extension much, on a windy day with a heavy optic you're going to have some movement. But for a super lightweight tripod option for binoculars only, I'm not sure there's much in it's class. My uses will be for sitting only using binos only, so it's everything I need and nothing that I don't. If you're using this fully extended but without the center extension, it's rock solid.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
That looks the same as the AOKA model on Amazon. Not stable with centre extension but ball head is ultralight and worth adding to a better set of legs like a Slik 624 if you want to strip ounces but still have a stable setup..

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
That looks the same as the AOKA model on Amazon. Not stable with centre extension but ball head is ultralight and worth adding to a better set of legs like a Slik 624 if you want to strip ounces but still have a stable setup..
The Oben has twice the optic load rating.

The Oben has twice the optic load rating.
It does look identical to the Aoka so I wonder if the load rating difference is some marketing magic. Regardless, my Aoka has been wonderful for seated glassing, even with a kowa 553 spotter at 45x. Great choice.