Ultralight 223

OP
M

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
It is 6 pounds 11 ounces with a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 and Talley lightweights.
That savage was one I was looking at, glad to hear you generally like it. I think I probably would have been all over a weight like that if I hadn’t seen some of the weights other people had, wouldn’t be surprised if that that’s what I end up with

OP
M

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
I have an older Kimber Montana 223 that is sort of a truck gun for me, I’ve had it for about 5 years now. You might try to find one of those.
Agree with the above, a used kimber in 223 is probably the best option as they are very light and it won’t cost bearly as much as a NULA.

My Kimber Montana .223 is stock with a VX3 2.5-8 x 36 with the B&C reticule in Talley low lightweight mounts. 22” 1 in 9 factory barrel. I really like it for a calling rifle. Shoots 70 gr Berger VLD and 55 grain Barnes TTSX very well...lots of 3 shot 1/2” groups at 100 meters from the bench. Excellent adjustable trigger, stock fits me well, etc. Bare rifle weighs 5#6oz on my scale and a shade over 6#s with scope and mounts.
Thanks for the heads up on the Montana’s, I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled, that sounds about exactly what I was hoping for

Kimber isn't chambering the Montana in .223 anymore the last time I looked. Too bad as they are really nice. I would prefer a 1 in 8" twist but 1 in 9" is decent. They did chamber them in .204 Ruger for a while as well, which could be re-barreled to .223.

Best would be to find a used one in .223.

w squared

FNG
The main reason that you don't see commercially available, super light .223 bolt guns is that not enough people will buy them.

Guys who hunt in the mountains probably want at least a 6.5CM level of power, so nobody is likely to start selling mountain rifles in a cartridge with less energy. For the rest of the folks that are hunting, 7 pounds is probably just fine for a starting weight.

The other thing is that when you make a rifle lighter you may increase the appeal to a hunter, but you decrease the appeal to a lot of modern shooters. They spend most of their time at the 50 and 100 yard lines, coming up with excuses why they can't group like their interwebs heroes. For them, light weight is bad because it increases their felt recoil - and they really only shoot from the bench anyways.

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
What options are out there for really lightweight 223 guns? I see sub 5 lb guns out there in bigger cartridges (Kimber Adirondack and Mountain Ascent for example), but I'm not seeing rifles like that chambered in 223. I would think that a really light rifle would pair great with the low recoil of 223 and have been confused to not see more options out there. Am I just missing what's out there on the market?
Howa mini with oregongunsmithings bottom metal and custom stock might be the best way to go

ElPollo

WKR
A friend told me that Howa quit making the light barreled versions of the mini. Have not confirmed that. I like the rifle, but am not as fond of the stock. Kinda like the Ruger American Ranch rifles. Good idea, bad stock.

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
I think part of the issue is that most 223 bolts have a heavier profile barrel since manufacturers are assuming a higher volume of shooting, and that's a solid chunk of weight right there. I believe the older Ruger American Ranch (with the flush fit mag, not the AR pattern mags) was listed as 5.9lbs without glass. Still a pound heavier than you're looking for, but it's also got a thicc barrel; if they'd gone with a skinny sporter there I'm sure it'd be closer to 5 and a qaurter.

Howa 1500 mini carbon stalker 4lb10oz
Hard to find, I sa 1 locally for 850$

Attachments

• 86DF8A05-1186-4803-B3CC-ED96784399FC.png
    86DF8A05-1186-4803-B3CC-ED96784399FC.png
    187.7 KB · Views: 40
A .223 is going to be heavier than a larger caliber in the exact same steel barreled rifle due to the bore diameter.

A larger bore in a steel barrel removes more barrel material and that’s why they are lighter in the same rifle/barrel profile.

Most rifles weights are listed in the lightest configuration available, which is usually a .308 with the shortest barrel they offer - 16”, 18”, or 20”.

Maybe look at building one with a carbon fiber from Proof, Carbon 6, etc… in a 16” barrel?

Last edited:

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
Kimber Montana is what you want. Replumbed with a contour-duped 1:7” Rock, add a mag box expansion job, and it’s unstoppable with 75/77’s. Lightning in a bottle and you can spot every hit with a fixed 6.

I agree with the Kimber Montana. I’ve had mine for about 7 years. Plinking, fur, and caribou. I originally bought it for practice, as I have other KMs for larger stuff, but I’ve used it quite a bit for game. Cheap 55gr Hornady for practice, and either a 55gr or 62gr ttsx for game. You won’t regret picking one up if you can find one used.

I agree with the Kimber Montana. I’ve had mine for about 7 years. Plinking, fur, and caribou. I originally bought it for practice, as I have other KMs for larger stuff, but I’ve used it quite a bit for game. Cheap 55gr Hornady for practice, and either a 55gr or 62gr ttsx for game. You won’t regret picking one up if you can find one used.
Sorry for hijacking.
For keeping it lightweight what scope do you use? Thanks

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for hijacking.
For keeping it lightweight what scope do you use? Thanks
In my experience, carrying a few more ounces in optic is actually lighter than a “light scope” with the weight of the doubt about the latter maintaining zero that comes with it.
Swfa’s work, both in practice and on the internet, believe it or not. 1-6HD, 3-9HD, and 6x for me.

Tmac

WKR
Might want to check the carbon version of the Howa mini action with the 1:8 barrel. It may meet your needs, and they tend to shoot very well.