Ultralight 6.5 grendel. AR vs Mini bolt

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
Time for some #Inspo

This is a 6.5 grundle that I built on a KE lower. the CF tube was cheap and I don't need a light for a hunting gun (verboten here, for coyotes i'd use a different gun). The KE lower was also just for giggles but I ended up liking it a lot. I have big old long arms and the A1 length stock is still good for me.

It's not really lightweight, with the sling and scope it's 7 lb1 oz on the dot without the sling. The barrel is 2.5lb of that, going with a Faxon Gunner 16" would have me down at 6 pounds 2oz. If I'd gone with a Ti adjustable gas block (-1oz), a low-mass BCG (-3oz,), a standard buffer and spring instead of the Armaspec SRS (-3-4oz), and a slickside upper without the foward assist (-4oz) then I'd be at 5.25lb-ish without considering changes to the scope. SWFA2-10 would drop about another quarter pound getting you to 5lb even, assuming you're using a muzzle device of similar weight (Q cherry bomb, 2oz). You might shave a few more oz off the front by using a lighter handguard, this is a heavier Clark Custom coming in around 7oz with barrel nut, plus the added sling swivel and the QD in the stock. Could alsogo with an even lighter optic, for around here a 300yd shot is rare so I had considered the Leupold FXII 2.5x, which would knock another quarter pound off the rifle while still giving me more magnification, or moving an Eotech over from one of my backup 5.56 ARs, which would shed the weight of the mount (3oz) while weighing the same 11oz as the scope on it right now.

I think the goal of a light carbine would be pretty doable, but current prices and availability being what they are it might take some time.

I have a 12" SBR I built but it's more of a "compact marksman rifle" so it's wearing a heavier stock, a pretty substantial scope, and a bipod. It carries well though, even with my heaviest .300WM can on it. If you decided to SBR the rifle you could knock another quarter pound off the front with a 12" barrel.

Attachments

• 20211206_095848.jpg
    20211206_095848.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 51

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
Grendel hunter builds very nice uppers for a reasonable price. I bought mine a couple of years ago and it is very accurate.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
Time for some #Inspo

This is a 6.5 grundle that I built on a KE lower. the CF tube was cheap and I don't need a light for a hunting gun (verboten here, for coyotes i'd use a different gun). The KE lower was also just for giggles but I ended up liking it a lot. I have big old long arms and the A1 length stock is still good for me.

It's not really lightweight, with the sling and scope it's 7 lb1 oz on the dot without the sling. The barrel is 2.5lb of that, going with a Faxon Gunner 16" would have me down at 6 pounds 2oz. If I'd gone with a Ti adjustable gas block (-1oz), a low-mass BCG (-3oz,), a standard buffer and spring instead of the Armaspec SRS (-3-4oz), and a slickside upper without the foward assist (-4oz) then I'd be at 5.25lb-ish without considering changes to the scope. SWFA2-10 would drop about another quarter pound getting you to 5lb even, assuming you're using a muzzle device of similar weight (Q cherry bomb, 2oz). You might shave a few more oz off the front by using a lighter handguard, this is a heavier Clark Custom coming in around 7oz with barrel nut, plus the added sling swivel and the QD in the stock. Could alsogo with an even lighter optic, for around here a 300yd shot is rare so I had considered the Leupold FXII 2.5x, which would knock another quarter pound off the rifle while still giving me more magnification, or moving an Eotech over from one of my backup 5.56 ARs, which would shed the weight of the mount (3oz) while weighing the same 11oz as the scope on it right now.

I think the goal of a light carbine would be pretty doable, but current prices and availability being what they are it might take some time.

I have a 12" SBR I built but it's more of a "compact marksman rifle" so it's wearing a heavier stock, a pretty substantial scope, and a bipod. It carries well though, even with my heaviest .300WM can on it. If you decided to SBR the rifle you could knock another quarter pound off the front with a 12" barrel.

This is sweet. Gives me some real stuff to sink my teeth into.

You guys have access to Leadstar Arms Helium AR's, pipe dreams for this Canadian Grendel hunter, looks like they make them as low as 3.8 lbs! worth checking out, you could do a 16" Grendel with a Trijicon 3-9x40 accupoint, Kenton speed dial turret to match your load, a tbac ultra-5 suppressor and still be under 6 lbs and have a 500 yard slayer, I wish

you can go light with a Howa but you have to basically ditch everything that comes with the gun except the action to do it, the Pendleton stock from Oregon Gunsmithing, get his bottom metal hinged floor plate also, you can slab the action -1.5 oz, you can take another 1.5 oz by fluting bolt and hollow bolt handle, and if you had the 20" lightweight or 22" standard barrel knock it back a few inches and you'd be building a very light little rig, talley 1" low rings and Leupold 2.5-8x36 vx3hd, probably get you in the 5 lb all up range

I've migrated to the ruger American ranch in mdt lss-xl gen2 myself and my kids who are now 12-14 and both in the big game game now, and our rigs are 8 1/4 lbs scoped rifle but we can't have suppressors so the weight advantage comes in shootability, watching things in scope, 6.5 ft/lbs recoil energy etc. my kids both dialled up their deer this year with it at 300 and 355 no issues, I dialled up one making a double on does after the 355, mine was 420, great little cartridge, those 123gr eld-m's are money for this cartridge, 10 head of big game in 4 seasons now with that and batting 1000 so we will carry on with it and drool over ultralight suppressed AR builds that the guys from the land of the free get to play with ;)

Last edited:

Zappaman

WKR
My Green Mountain barreled, lightweight 16” 6.8 SPC with a Weaver K6 fixed power feels like a toy gun to me with a 5 round clip. I call it my “pig rig” and use it with a 3500 lumen light (with a 300 yard 20 degree wide beam) on the front rail- side mounted- way out front… 300 yard 4” groups on hot Texas pig hunts at 2am. Dropped three pigs last March… It’s a dream compared to bold actions (*and 400+ lbs of meat down in under 10 seconds). That upper cost me under $400 to build. That’s $1 lb. meat I’m eating all year😋

Titan_Bow

WKR
Theb6.8 crowd wasted no time in letting you know how wrong the Grendel was.

I mentioned 6.8 because that’s what I built. I assumed most people would infer the similarities of building an AR in 6.8 would directly translate to building one I 6.5 Grendel. I went back and reread this thread, I didn’t see anyone saying Grendel was a wrong choice. Again, I would hope that people realize that mentioning 6.8SPC in this thread is to give a fairly comparative example, as the cartridges are very similar in performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mentioned 6.8 because that’s what I built. I assumed most people would infer the similarities of building an AR in 6.8 would directly translate to building one I 6.5 Grendel. I went back and reread this thread, I didn’t see anyone saying Grendel was a wrong choice. Again, I would hope that people realize that mentioning 6.8SPC in this thread is to give a fairly comparative example, as the cartridges are very similar in performance

Just busting your chops a bit. They are so similar that most do not get it. They think you are just sh!t posting, when in fact, the data is very relevant. Plus, you guys are way less annoying than the Tikka and 10 MM guys...lol.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Just busting your chops a bit. They are so similar that most do not get it. They think you are just sh!t posting, when in fact, the data is very relevant. Plus, you guys are way less annoying than the Tikka and 10 MM guys...lol.

Haha thanks, yeah they are pretty much identical within typical hunting ranges. I actually had planned on building a Grendel but I’m a cheapskate and at the time, when I priced everything out, I could do it cheaper in 6.8. I’m thinking about building another one, maybe in 6ARC or Grendel, or maybe one of the big bore rounds.
I don’t own a Tikka, I thought you had to own one to be a Well Known Rokslider though

900D92F2-1D8C-414C-B06C-5FEB7C856C3B.jpeg

Finished this build yesterday, went no holds barred (except when limited by availability) to go ultralight as I’m planning to hike off the Dalton Corridor this year for caribou. First full build, pretty easy. 4lbs on the nose w my crappy fishing scale. Waiting on Wilson Combat rings to mount the Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36

- Faxon 18” 6.5 grendel gunner weight stainless bbl
- Faxon lightweight bolt carrier w JP enhanced 6.5 bolt
- Battle Arms Development lightweight upper
- New Frontier poly lower
- Guntech minimalist stock/buffer tube
- Timmer Impact trigger
- Brigand Arms CF handguard
- Odin works adj gas block

Hopefully it’ll shoot

I just helped put together an Aero Precision based AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel for my mom who has in the last few years become obsessed with deer hutning here in Missouri. My dad is the one who asked for my help. Her main concern was recoil. Since I've loaded for grendel for quite some time, I'm familiar with the cartidge so I obliged to help them (especially nice since ammo is very scarce)

I told her that the cost of recoil mitigation comes at a price of loudness from the 4 port break I put on it. She has never shot a gun before but shoots my dad's Raven crossbow and has killed several nice bucks. The first time she shot it at about 75 yards, the first 2 shots were touching. I told her that was quite impressive. It made me so happy that she was excited about it.

The whole reason for the backstory is to provide context for the reason we went with 6.5 grendel. There are a ton of cartridges out there... but for light recoil, lightweight, shorter range hunting. The grendel is a fantastic choice. I'd love to snag a Ruger American Ranch in 6.5 grendel, with the 16.5" threaded barrel. Would be a killer truck gun setup.

I catch a lot of slack from folks who see me hunting with a Grendel.
just means you're likely hung a little better than a bull squirrel and secure in your manhood, carry on soldier ;)

need thicker skin than the average cat to hunt with 30 grains of powder these days lol

I'd love to snag a Ruger American Ranch in 6.5 grendel, with the 16.5" threaded barrel. Would be a killer truck gun setup.
perfect rig as a working mans truck beater, take a couple coils out of the 10 round AR mag springs, the springs a little stiff for the bolt actions, the gas guns don't care, so stock just a little heavier push on the first couple rounds if you don't relax the spring tension a bit, polish the underside of the bolt, break it in and it will cycle like butter for all 10 and you can keep things in scope while you do it, should shoot hornady black sub-moa no prob, mine does about 3/4 average for 3 shots out to 500, you can chassis these as well but the factory stock is ideal for beater also

Thats because they dont know ballistics. I hunt elk with mine. Now actually shooting an elk has not occurred yet...but soon.
got a moose with mine no prob, look forward to the pics, might be able to join ya this fall if you score, normally don't chase them but as luck would have it I'm gonna spend a little time looking for one so will see

perfect rig as a working mans truck beater, take a couple coils out of the 10 round AR mag springs, the springs a little stiff for the bolt actions, the gas guns don't care, so stock just a little heavier push on the first couple rounds if you don't relax the spring tension a bit, polish the underside of the bolt, break it in and it will cycle like butter for all 10 and you can keep things in scope while you do it, should shoot hornady black sub-moa no prob, mine does about 3/4 average for 3 shots out to 500, you can chassis these as well but the factory stock is ideal for beater also
Great info! Im glad that I made a post regarding it. I may have to pull the trigger. I will put my 6.5 bore suppressor on it and it will be a BAD little gun to carry around. Thanks man!