Ultralight 6.5 grendel. AR vs Mini bolt

180ls1

WKR
Looking at building a low recoil, very light weight hunting rifle for my wife (I'll use it also deer and smaller within 300-400 yards, have a bigger gun for elk or longer range deer). It seems like I can get a a bolt gun under $1000 and 5lbs without too much issue in 6.5g. Can the same be said for an AR? I'd love to go with the AR if possible.

Probably going to run the SWFA ultralight 9oz scope.

Thoughts? I am open to other similar calibers also but they need factory lead free ammo support.

Last edited:

Zappaman

WKR
I built a 6.8 SPC using the legal 16" Green Mountain chrome lined barrel... shoots MOA or better with hand loads. If you ever pig hunt, then it's hands down the best caliber for a 7 lb. gun (total weight, scoped with a Weaver K series 6 power fixed at 11 oz). It feels like a "toy" but it has dropped 3-4 doe out to 200 yards easy-peasy ;) Just get the trigger right and your wife will enjoy it in any AR-15 platform. Lightweight and effective out to 300 yards without thinking about it.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
I built a 6.8 SPC using the legal 16" Green Mountain chrome lined barrel... shoots MOA or better with hand loads. If you ever pig hunt, then it's hands down the best caliber for a 7 lb. gun (total weight, scoped with a Weaver K series 6 power fixed at 11 oz). It feels like a "toy" but it has dropped 3-4 doe out to 200 yards easy-peasy ;) Just get the trigger right and your wife will enjoy it in any AR-15 platform. Lightweight and effective out to 300 yards without thinking about it.
Thanks for the input. It looks like within 500 yards there really isn't a real world difference between the 6.8 and 6.5. MOA is as good or better then I can shoot when hunting if I am being honest with myself.

I dont reload (yet) so I need factory options if that changes anything. I would also need lead free factory ammo.

I was looking at the Howa Carbon mini for a bolt gun. Looks like I would be right at 5lb 6oz scoped. I am completely lost in all the options for AR guns.

Last edited:

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
For an AR build I would recommend looking at the AR15 Parts Database (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...hznv2291c5UHRDyNXuSXGObumqM/edit?usp=drivesdk).

You can either go with a KE Arms poly lower or try 5o build out your own with an MFT minimalist stock, tossup on how you land for parts cost. If you can find a decently priced lowmass BCG that shaves ~5oz off when paired with an adjustable gas block. There's also the 2A Balios or Palouse receiver kits. Pair it with a 16" pencil or lightweight profile barrel, then it's just down to finding a light enough handguard that meets your price range. The Brigand Hoplite pistol foreend is like 3oz, if length isn't a concern. Alternatively, spend that money on a SBR stamp, a 12.5 barrel will shed you about 10-12oz over a standard Goverment profile barrel.

Without having seen the math on the Howa build, I would expect it's still cheaper.

Last edited:
I have been using a 16” 6.5 Grendel in an AR platform for the past few years. My barrel, gas block/tube and bolt is from the Grendel Hunter. It has a Silencerco asr mount on it so I can use my Silencerco suppressor on it. I have shot it out to 725yds consistently, but wont shoot a critter past 400yds with it.

Love the Grendel. Have both in ar pistol and howa mini action. Check out oregunsmith if you want a light howa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
Love the Grendel. Have both in ar pistol and howa mini action. Check out oregunsmith if you want a light howa.

How do you like the howa mini? I am really tempted by that as it seems very simple to have a scoped 5.5lb rifle.

I like the idea of an AR more but I am just a little nervous trying to get one together that is accurate and meets that same weight or less.

I am extremely bias and will always take an AR platform over a bolt gun. I don’t think my grendel in an ar platform is any lighter or heavier than a comparable bolt gun. Accuracy is a personal thing and depends on your own abilities.

I assembled a 12.5” barrel 6.5 grendel AR pistol and still used a standard lower. Most of the other parts I went lightweight. It’s just got a holosun red dot on it, but it came in at 4.5 lbs unloaded.

I think it was under $1000 at the time, but prices were different then.

I’d say under $1000 and under 5lbs is kinda right on the edge for an AR. There is a pretty good chance you could end up a little over 5lbs or a little over $1000.

But working on ARs is nice because you can assemble stuff at home and there’s little to no actual “gunsmithing” required.

The switch is really easy of you have an existing AR you want to convert. I had a 16” AR in 556 and converted it to a 6.5 Grendel. I just needed a barrel, brake and bolt. I bought a new adjustable gas block and tube and built this new gun for under $400.

Fatcamp

WKR
The switch is really easy of you have an existing AR you want to convert. I had a 16” AR in 556 and converted it to a 6.5 Grendel. I just needed a barrel, brake and bolt. I bought a new adjustable gas block and tube and built this new gun for under $400.

Got a short list of parts?

I have a 5.56 rifle I never shoot.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR

So, I actually dont own one and am pretty ignorant to them. Trying to figure out parts for a build on a light weight one that is hunting focused is a little overwhelming if I am being honest.

Tahoe1305

WKR
So, I actually dont own one and am pretty ignorant to them. Trying to figure out parts for a build on a light weight one that is hunting focused is a little overwhelming if I am being honest.
Check out Grendelhunter.com.

There stuff is pretty turn key. Can get away with an upper under $500 depending on options.

To answer what you need that is different from a normal AR upper:

-barrel
-bolt head (same body)
-specific magazine

Everything else is the same. You will likely need a different length gas tube depending on barrel and I’d recommend an adjustable gas block.

To go light it will get pricey quick. Need either ultralight receiver set (save 6oz or so but cost $300 more) and or ti bolt or lightened bolt (save another 6oz but also another $300 or so).

Lots of separate threads on how to shave weight on ARs. You can get it below 5lb. For ref I have a 6.5C AR10 that is close to 5.5lbs without scope. Problem with cutting weight is you end up messing with gas/buffer system to keep it cycling well. Doable but takes some patience.

Check out 2A armament and Vseven for parts to get light.

Wing tactical and rainier arms are two online stores that carry both and a few other brands to get weight down.
Hope that helps

Last edited:

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I have an AR15 6.5G made by Precision Firearms that shoots sub MOA with factory ammo.

I use my RBros 7mm RM for larger game, but enjoy the 6.5G for pigs and deer (under 200 yards) in S. TX. No recoil to speak of, and it's just fun to shoot.

Last edited:

Titan_Bow

WKR
I built a 16” barrel 6.8 SPC for my son. He’s killed a bunch of deer and an antelope with it. I didn’t really know anything about them, other than carrying one when I was in the Army.
I pieced together parts mainly from Palmetto State, Aero Precision and AR Performance. I went with Palmettos 3.5lbs upgraded trigger, and with the ARP barrel, it will shoot under an inch with SSA or Cavityback ammo.
I specifically built it for the low recoil for my little boy. That is really the big selling point for it. That, and the fact a novice hunter can easily stay on target and make a follow up shot if need be. If your wife is extremely recoil sensitive then an AR is definitely the way to go. If she’s not super sensitive to it, you could probably get a lighter rifle and at a more affordable price with a bolt gun.
I’ve not weighed my AR, but I would guess it’s just a touch under 7 pounds with a scope. You could definitely get it lighter, but keep in mind, lighter usually means more money.
All in all, I love our little 6.8, it is a deer killing machine. I would not hesitate to do it again.

Zappaman

WKR
Harris's barrel (ARP15) would be my choice for super accuracy in my NEXT 6.8 SPC... I also use the Aero upper and a Palmetto lower (trigger job by yours truly). But my Green Mountain 16" puts them 3/4" with hand loads and the chrome barrel is good for about 20k shots. But again... if wanting to get OUT THERE (past 300 yards) for head shots... the ARP15 would probably be a "bit" better barrel and easily handle 3k shots before burning out. Great config Titan!

Last edited:
How do you like the howa mini? I am really tempted by that as it seems very simple to have a scoped 5.5lb rifle.

I like the idea of an AR more but I am just a little nervous trying to get one together that is accurate and meets that same weight or less.

It is a really fun little gun to shoot. Mainly got it for my son when he was younger to come hunting with me, but I use it all the time. Get one. You will not regret it.

I love that Grendel cartridge, have built a 'bomb dropper' in an AR platform using a 20" midweight Lilja barrel. It's fun. I take it coyote hunting and when I get bored I kill rocks at over 600 yards.

That being said, I kinda hate hunting with AR's. All those right angles, seems like the pistol grip and mag area always snagging on things, and I would much prefer a bolt action to take afield just for the ergonomics. For your application I'd take a bolt gun every time. Obviously this is personal preference, though.