Ultralight DCF Stove Shelter - Review & Recommendations

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just my 2 cents use a 2.5 mil cordage or better . We use 3 mm Lawson because it absolutely holds ... that is what we use as standard

Stakes MSR core ... use 9 on corners and 6 elsewhere IMO

Cheers
Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
StopMakingSense
Just my 2 cents use a 2.5 mil cordage or better . We use 3 mm Lawson because it absolutely holds ... that is what we use as standard

Stakes MSR core ... use 9 on corners and 6 elsewhere IMO

Cheers
Kevin

Thanks Kevin, seriously, you guys made an incredible shelter with this DCF version, very well thought out, not much room to shave any weight.

Had it pitched last night with some new 3mm cordage, will post pictures later, forgot how small 2mm was.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks Kevin, seriously, you guys made an incredible shelter with this DCF version, very well thought out, not much room to shave any weight.

Had it pitched last night with some new 3mm cordage, will post pictures later, forgot how small 2mm was.

Thanks .
...and I agree it is a phenomenal shelter . So tight it's like it has a pole structure around it .

OP
StopMakingSense
Yesterday was fun, got some new cordage and got my Ruta Locura pole which allowed me to get the Cimarron DCF pitched.

First, the Ruta Locura pole, blown away by this pole, I got the 68" adjustable 710 pole. It came in lighter than stated.

IMG_7643.jpg

Second, cordage, I honestly forgot how small 2mm was, went with 3mm. I like the look of the orange with the green tent instead of the neon yellow they supplied. Other than that, honestly no weight savings to speak of. Super happy they're shipping cordage from Lawson, just wish it would have been orange.

IMG_7650.jpg

IMG_7649.jpg

Third, I wanted guylines for the shelter so I cut up 3 48" long sections and went 3 MSR Groundhog Mini's to hold them in

IMG_7659.jpg

IMG_7658.jpg

OP
StopMakingSense
And here's the tent pitched, I put the door open with an Exo 5500 for reference

Just like Kevin said, the DCF is tight just like a pole supported shelter, I really love the DCF and don't think I can go back.

8 Groundhogs w/ 18" of 3mm cordage each for stakeouts
3 Groundhog Minis w/ 48" of 3mm cordage each for guyouts

IMG_7673.jpg

IMG_7664.jpg

IMG_7657.jpg

Last edited:

colersu22

WKR
That’s how my cimarron looks and I ah e never had an issue using a aluminum pole or the seek outside carbon pole last weekend

You know what, I hate you!

Love hate?

Haha, I thought I was done buying shelters.

Kevin is there any way to put s guy out on the door side?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You know what, I hate you!

Love hate?

Haha, I thought I was done buying shelters.

Kevin is there any way to put s guy out on the door side?

It would be more difficult and may effect how the two flap lays . Likely it would do very little since the zipper is pretty stiff . On the cimarron in Dyneema it is a very tight tent IMO . In most cases a guy out is likely to do more harm than good . (Likely to be tripped over , animal running into it , etc )

OP
StopMakingSense
SMS, that stove jack looks pretty close to that pole.....I like to keep about 10" spacing on mine- or more.

Thanks for the heads up there. When I looked inside there was sufficient spacing, over 10", from the pole. I will keep this in mind once I get the stove, thanks

OP
StopMakingSense
I was able to get it rolled up and fit into a Large Kifaru UL Pullout with the 11 stakes. They do provide a DCF pull bag but the Kifaru keeps it nice and tight when loading the pack which I like, also put my hand in for reference.

Final weight as well with Ruta Locura Pole, 3x guy lines, 8 groundhogs, and 3 mini groundhogs for guy lines. I may take the guy lines out to save weight, don't think it's needed with how tight this shelter is.

IMG_7746.jpg

IMG_7744.jpg

57869231656__4979E99A-EA10-4D75-9E86-2EBBA3D8432C.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the heads up there. When I looked inside there was sufficient spacing, over 10", from the pole. I will keep this in mind once I get the stove, thanks

It is hard to say on other CF poles because they may use a different epoxy. Our CF poles ... don't stick them in the fire . I have had them touch the pole and be fine ... although keeping a little space is a good idea. We seldom have issues with CF poles ... and I don't think have ever had an issue with the cimarron pole as it is over built IMO. I suspect our problem rate on CF poles is probably less than 1 in several hundred

Last edited:

colersu22

WKR
I keep my cimarron in a large Kifaru ultralight pull out like that and it fits perfect with stakes and it is a pretty flat shape vs the stuff sack it came with.

OP
StopMakingSense
Weight on the LiteOutdoors Titanium Stove 18" with 7' stove pipe, spark arrestor and baffle. I'll most likely not be using the baffle but decided to grab it in case I wanted to use it.

42.68oz total with claimed weight at 40.7oz + baffle which I never saw a weight on so pretty dang close. I'll get this puppy set up this weekend and get the whole kit weighed out.

IMG_8497.jpg

OP
StopMakingSense
Not like we're talking crazy weights here but the baffle came in at 3.56oz so total stove weight with spark arrestor and a 7' pipe is 39.12oz.

Going to be removing the guy lines and 3 stakes and will get a total weight once done, looking at 4.7 to 4.8lbs, pretty stoked.

Has anyone found a good option over the provided LiteOutdoors sacks? They're already starting to tear on me, that metal is sharp.

OP
StopMakingSense
Had over 30 days using this puppy this year with more to come, review coming up on my final thoughts and final weights after tinkering and getting it right. Just a few initial thoughts I had...

1.) The pole had no problems at all being even 5" from the stove, we were cranking it with these recent arctic fronts coming in and nothing to speak of
2.) Guy lines are not needed on this tent, we've been through some very strong gusts 60+ and the tent didn't move at all
3.) The tent construction is absolutely bomber, bomber. I actually bent quite a few of the MSR stakes and broke two of them.
4.) My Lite Outdoors stove is nice but I'm really keen on trying a large Seek Outside stove, appears much sturdier for a bit more weight and solves a lot of my complaints on the Lite Outdoors.
5.) Not sure what I would have done without a saw, putting massive 18" rounds in that barely fit through the stove door made for some nice 3hr burn times.

OP
StopMakingSense
Here are the real world weights

1.) Tent, this includes stove jack, 8 stakes, 16" 3mm cordage, Kifaru UL Pullout, Ruta Locura 710 Pole = 37.98oz

2.) Lite Outdoors 18" Titanium stove which includes 7' stove pipe, spark arrestor, 18" stove assembly, Silky F180 saw and both carry bags provided by LO = 46.13oz

So it ended up being 84.11oz or 5.25lbs ... take out the saw at 5.2oz, it's 4.93lbs, would have loved to seen it sub 4.5lbs but real world weights are always different.