Ultralight DCF Stove Shelter - Review & Recommendations

ebubedike

FNG
Jetboils are great for hot water but not the most controllable for real cooking. take a look at the stover reviews here on BPL or on Hikin' Jim's blog for some suggestions of stoves that are better for cooking.

I was able to get it rolled up and fit into a Large Kifaru UL Pullout with the 11 stakes. They do provide a DCF pull bag but the Kifaru keeps it nice and tight when loading the pack which I like, also put my hand in for reference.

Final weight as well with Ruta Locura Pole, 3x guy lines, 8 groundhogs, and 3 mini groundhogs for guy lines. I may take the guy lines out to save weight, don't think it's needed with how tight this shelter is.

View attachment 98777

View attachment 98772

View attachment 98773
That is way more compact than I was able to get mine.I need to try that

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the update and all the info, looks like a fantastic set up.

Curious what your complaints about the 18" LO stove are?

Last edited:

Hoss1984

FNG
So I've been doing my research to create the lightest shelter I can with a stove and would love the collective to give any feedback on this.

I've been looking at getting a shelter with a stove for a couple of years but weight has always been a concern. Seek Outside came out with their DCF shelters, most notably the one I just purchased, the Cimarron. All I have right now is just the Cimarron DCF on order, that's it and it's where I'm working from to create this.

So here's the breakdown after doing the research, I'll verify all weights when I've received all the items.

Shelter
Cimmaron DCF - 21.8oz
Stove Jack Option - 3oz
Ruta Locura 710 Tent Pole (64" to 72") - 7.3oz
Ruta Locura Carbon Fiber Stakes (8x @ 6 grams) - 1.7oz
18" LiteOutdoors Stove w/ 7' Pipe - 38oz
LiteOutdoors Spark Arrestor - 0.7oz

Total - 71.7oz or about 4.5lbs

Wood Prep
Silky F180 Saw for wood - 5.2oz
Fire Starter - ??? Need recommendations on what people have used and works well

Big question to everyone is...

1.) Experience with the above items
2.) Is there something lighter and better?
3.) Any other general recommendations?
4.) Anything I'm missing?

Currently talking to Josh at Ruta Locura on the best option for stakes.

This is my first time with a floorless shelter and the first time with a stove so looking forward to it
Have you look at the jimmy tarps, they are super light and made out of
So I've been doing my research to create the lightest shelter I can with a stove and would love the collective to give any feedback on this.

I've been looking at getting a shelter with a stove for a couple of years but weight has always been a concern. Seek Outside came out with their DCF shelters, most notably the one I just purchased, the Cimarron. All I have right now is just the Cimarron DCF on order, that's it and it's where I'm working from to create this.

So here's the breakdown after doing the research, I'll verify all weights when I've received all the items.

Shelter
Cimmaron DCF - 21.8oz
Stove Jack Option - 3oz
Ruta Locura 710 Tent Pole (64" to 72") - 7.3oz
Ruta Locura Carbon Fiber Stakes (8x @ 6 grams) - 1.7oz
18" LiteOutdoors Stove w/ 7' Pipe - 38oz
LiteOutdoors Spark Arrestor - 0.7oz

Total - 71.7oz or about 4.5lbs

Wood Prep
Silky F180 Saw for wood - 5.2oz
Fire Starter - ??? Need recommendations on what people have used and works well

Big question to everyone is...

1.) Experience with the above items
2.) Is there something lighter and better?
3.) Any other general recommendations?
4.) Anything I'm missing?

Currently talking to Josh at Ruta Locura on the best option for stakes.

This is my first time with a floorless shelter and the first time with a stove so looking forward to it
Look into Jimmy Tarps, they are super light.

OP
StopMakingSense
Thanks for the update and all the info, looks like a fantastic set up.

Curious what your complaints about the 18" LO stove are?

The LiteOutdoor stove is great, setup is fast, being able to put in long 18" rounds is awesome. I'm just always curious about the other offerings.

I think I just want to use the Seek Outside stove and try it out for comparison to see which I prefer. I have ideas in my head that the grass is greener with stronger legs and a better dampener. I would love to try the U-Turn stove they came out with but don't have the coin at the moment.

lorsonts

FNG
Good luck with the shelter! The best fire starter in my opinion is the Vaseline soaked cotton balls. I cram them in an old pill container, tobacco tin, or just a snack bag. It is cheap and serves many other uses; like windburn, chapped lips, or chafed nipples!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
StopMakingSense
Jetboils are great for hot water but not the most controllable for real cooking. take a look at the stover reviews here on BPL or on Hikin' Jim's blog for some suggestions of stoves that are better for cooking.

I use my stoves for heat, I don't have time for cooking a fancy meal when I'm hunting. Rather be hunting with that time... the same MSR Reactor has been boiling water for over 10 years now.

My two main problems with LO to be clear are...
- The feet sink too much and inevitably burn the ground causing smoke. When it's snowing out I don't have time to look for rocks, I just want wood and a fire going ASAP.
- Impossible to feather the dampener to a good spot, we had troubles in October with it. Both friends I took out with the tent commented on it.

Soooo

1.) I did end up putting some SS flanged nuts on the bottom of the 4 rods with loctite that keeps the LO stove elevated. Helped immensely on keeping the stove from sinking.

2.) I have on order the new U-Turn stove damper in the 2.5" piping from SO - https://seekoutside.com/stove-damper/ ... looking forward to getting my hands on this and mating it with the LO. Hopefully it'll work and solve my problems I have with the dampener on the LO.

Moserkr

WKR
A few things I know from running floorless the last few years. Best fire starter is a small refillable cigar torch. No saw is needed unless you want the 4-5” diameter logs that burn for 2 hours which is nice at night. You got most the other stuff figured out, but if you want to save 6 more oz, get a trekking pole extension from ruta and ditch the whole pole. Yea you already bought it, but the extension is $20... for 6 oz weight savings. Love the setup and im considering selling both my tipis just for that one or the redcliff!

OP
StopMakingSense
Some good points, thanks

I do run my trekking poles with a Silex when I’m packing camp every morning. This setup ends up being a basecamp and I always bring my poles with me if I get something down which is why I did go for a specific use item.

Yeah we have run without a saw but enjoy the long burn times.

mtodd

FNG
I am considering buying a Seek Outside Cimmaron Ultralight (Dyneema) shelter. My only concern is the lower melting point on the Dyneema (I will be using a stove). Although I have read about a lot of “concerns” with sparks, has anyone ever actually had a problem? I’m just wondering how significant the problem could be.