Ultralight Foam Pad Under Sleeping Pad?

JAXNRYLZ

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have a great deal of backcountry experience, but do value a good nights sleep.

Wanted to get some thoughts about using an ultralight foam pad under an air mattress?

I could see having a foam pad benefiting as extra protection to keep from having my air mattress from getting a hole, and possibly using the foam pad to sit on or use as padding for my knees (if I'm lucky enough to get on a elk).

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Yep.

I will run a variety of foam pads under my inflatable. When not in sleep mode they are camp seats and glassing pads, etc.

- Seek outside mountian mat is the lightest at 8 oz or less cut to the width of your pad or keep it 40 inches and it can double as a ground cloth.
- thermarest z lite is my most used one. It is close to a pound though

The extra weight is worth the comfort and added utility for me. I have also had a pad fail before both with and without the foam mat and I appreciate the bit of redundancy.

I am playing with an uberlite and the SO pad. Not sure what the R value would be but so far it is quite comfy for 17-18oz combined.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
A CCF pad is a great idea. The Z-lite might be just what you're looking for as you can trim it to meet your needs, or only unfold what you want to use.

Yep.

I will run a variety of foam pads under my inflatable. When not in sleep mode they are camp seats and glassing pads, etc.

- Seek outside mountian mat is the lightest at 8 oz or less cut to the width of your pad or keep it 40 inches and it can double as a ground cloth.
- thermarest z lite is my most used one. It is close to a pound though

The extra weight is worth the comfort and added utility for me. I have also had a pad fail before both with and without the foam mat and I appreciate the bit of redundancy.

I am playing with an uberlite and the SO pad. Not sure what the R value would be but so far it is quite comfy for 17-18oz combined.

I’ve also been in the hunt to add a foam mat but thought everything I found wasn’t worth the extra weight. I had no idea seek outside made this and I will definitely be getting one so thank you for the info.

I’ve also been in the hunt to add a foam mat but thought everything I found wasn’t worth the extra weight. I had no idea seek outside made this and I will definitely be getting one so thank you for the info.

Yep. It is a cool piece of kit. Not as tough as the z lite but half the weight. It gets torn up a bit with some use though. Not a big deal but mine has a few holes and tears from a dozen nights or so. Duck tape for the biggest and ignore the rest. I liked it enough that I bought a second one and cut it to the width and length of my (25”inch wide long) sleeping pad. I use it with a light ground cloth and it is the bees knees. Still makes a heck of a camp seat or glassing pad. rolls to about the size of a Nalgene bottle, maybe a bit more. Weighs about 6oz. That with an inflator is the best of both worlds IMO.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We sell a 40" by 80" x 1/8" foam pad that doubles as a ground sheet called the Mountain Mat. It's a great multiuse pad. Works as a ground sheet to keep your sleeping gear dry on muddy ground, plus helps protect your pad from pokes, and if you fold it over once or twice you can add some R value to your air pad. If the air pad takes a dive then you've still got some warmth as well.

Only caveat is that on short pine needles I prefer tyvek or a ground tarp. The short needles stick in foam something fierce.